WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Georgia Section January 2022

Hi all. I'm HOPING to hike most if not all of GA the fourth week of January. I have discovered that the only hostel open is Mountain Crossing which is better than none. I'd like feedback on my daily hiking/campsites plan and also if you think Budget Inn Shuttles will shuttle in January. I've called a few times and no answer. I'd like to end my hike at Dick's Creek and would like to get picked up by their shuttle. My bail out point will be Neels Gap if I've overshot my abilities. And of course the entire trip could be nixed if weather is a real ****storm. Appreciate the feedback from those who have a lot more experience

Day One: Springer to Hawk Mountain Shelter 8.1
    Day Two: Hawk Mountain to Morris Knob campsite 10.2
    Day Three: Morris Knob to Neels Gap 13 (HOSTEL)
    Day Four: Neels Gap to Low Gap Shelter 11.5
    Day Five: Low Gap to CheeseFactory campsite 13.4
    Day Six: CheeseFactory to Dick's Creek 13

Journal Entries

You're really out of season so expect the worst. A lot of places closed or cut back due to COVID. Also the NPS is throwing a lot of curves since they are closing wells and pumps all along the way. Any one else have any ideas? If you do decide to go I wish you luck.

Journal Entries

One last thing, the shelters were closed too. Better bring a WINTER ready tent.

Quote Originally Posted by NY HIKER 50 View Post
    One last thing, the shelters were closed too. Better bring a WINTER ready tent.
    shelters were never "closed" in georgia. i was there last march and every shelter was packed

March is the start of the AT hiking season (as I'm sure you know).

It's hard to say if that's too much or not, given that we don't really know about your level of experience or fitness. I've section hiked GA, and for me, there's no way I could do that pace. Ending a 13 mile day by climbing up and down Blood Mountain sounds really sucky. Morris Knob is an interesting choice for a stop. There's no water there and you're only 2 miles away from a shuttle ride into town at Woody Gap. Keep that in mind in case the weather turns ugly. I'd put Donald and Mary Ballard from the Further Shuttle on retainer and have them ready to come get you at the many available bailout points, if needed. Their number is on the Whiteblaze page of approved shuttle drivers. I hope you get good weather. We hiked the southern part of NC last February and had two beautiful weather days and one MISERABLE day of 37 degree rain. Good Luck!

If you are in reasonable shape, this is doable but I would suggest not being fixed to the start and stop points you've chosen. Tons of campsites and places to stay so you can flex and still do this section in the total days you have planned. I live near the trail in GA and have hiked all of thus section multiple times...you'll be fine unless the weather turns nasty which is very possible.

IMO your biggest potential challenge will be hiking in the rain with temps in the 30s and 40s. Be prepared to deal with this even if you plan to bail under these conditions, because you may have a significant walk to your bail out point. Shelters are open.

Winter in GA is a great time to be on the trail, enjoy the seasonal views and relative solitude!

The pace is typical, about what I did on my last trip down there, a few years ago in late June. A very chilly and wet late June.

Given the mild east coast winter so far this season, my guess is the last week of Jan will be on the mild side. With the risk of having at least one really cold spell for 24-36 hours sometime during that week. Take your best guess for a weather forecast for that week and plan accordingly.

You should be able to get into Hiawassee easy enough, but you'll have to confirm who shuttles and call before descending into Dicks Creek gap, where there is no service. You probably won't be the only one looking to get into town at the time.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I had a great experience with Jeff, from Blairsville at the end of my thru hike in Oct. He even Ickes me up at Blue Ridge Gap, and the trail head near Springer, both pretty remote and with long gravel approaches. (706) 994-2307.

Concur with others here that you need to set pick up times ahead, as service at many of the gaps is poor.

If you are in okay shape, I’d say pace is fine. Trail in GA is pretty easy and well maintained relative to other parts.

Is Mountain Crossing Hostel open now? It’s been closed for a long time now due to Covid. I haven’t called them yet but I got the feeling they weren’t going to open it again.

Images

Did you end up making this trip?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

My prediction of a mild late Jan was way off. The weather hasn't been kind to the early starters so far.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    shelters were never "closed" in georgia. i was there last march and every shelter was packed
    This is true, my group just finished GA before Christmas and all the shelters were open, Neels Gap Hostel was closed, but we didn't plan on staying there. Cheese Cake factory sit up on a ridge and the wind can howl through there at times. When we stayed there, it sounded like we were on the beach all night. It was cold bit made for good sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Money View Post
    This is true, my group just finished GA before Christmas and all the shelters were open, Neels Gap Hostel was closed, but we didn't plan on staying there. Cheese Cake factory sit up on a ridge and the wind can howl through there at times. When we stayed there, it sounded like we were on the beach all night. It was cold bit made for good sleep.
    Still, one WOULD want to bring a tent. Just in case a shelter is full or you don’t make it or so you don’t have to be a slave to the shelter spacing.

Agree on bringing your own tarp or tent...so many great campsites and the shelters aren't always where you need them given your daily mileage.

I didn't but I did backpack in NC - near Winding Stair Gap. The snow was brutal so I didn't make it the miles I wanted to make. First time backpacking/hiking in snow. I thought I should be able to do 15 miles but barely could get in 11 miles. It was an experience!

Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    Still, one WOULD want to bring a tent. Just in case a shelter is full or you don’t make it or so you don’t have to be a slave to the shelter spacing.
    Yes, absolutely. I would never assume I would have a spot in a shelter. I only sleep in shelters when there aren't a bunch of people around (my wife says I snore and I don't need others to confirm that for me) or if it's raining.

++ New Posts ++