WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What knife and or multitool carried??

What knife or multitool do you carry or have carried and changed ?? Thanks

Swiss Army mini. Was plenty. Hiking poles for a fight if need be...never were.

Leatherman Micra

Images

SAK Camper. Much like my old Scout knife,

My favorite and most used blade is a Trail Designs miniature box cutter about the size of my index finger.Opens cellophane in a jiff.I have a Mora knife but actually carry a full tang Cold Steel Peacemaker III that is enough to process wood if necessary.

Swiss army knife. What model depends on the trip.

Benchmade Bugout, Its the lightest real knife Ive found, 1.9oz. I just ordered a Mora Eldris to play with.

Case medium stockman

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

All above are excellent. Light and razor sharp is the objective. I prefer model with small sharp scissors but all great blades give you the precision cut. Never had a reason to change from Leatherman micro. Affordable, light and functional.

For most trips I carry a Buck folding knife and a "mini" Leatherman tool for small repairs.

Journal Entries
    Images

Camillus ‘demo’ knife that I’ve carried for 49 years now. Small Swiss Army knife in my FAK.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Garlic
    Images

Everyone should carry the tool(s) that may be needed to make emergency repairs to what he or she carries. Not everyone carries the same gear, so we will need different tools. The simpler your gear, the simpler the tool. I'm a minimalist UL thru-hiker so all I carry is a single-edged razor blade, in my FAK. On overnighters I'll carry a real knife for cooking.

There are hikers who build fires, possibly shelters, and they will carry larger woodcrafting tools.

And there are the wonderful folks who will clear trails as they hike, with serious saws and loppers.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

I've been carrying the same Gerber LST for at least 30 years now. Haven't found anything better in the way of a small, lightweight, basic knife. But I also carry a single edge razor blade in the first aid kit along with set of good, fine point, machined tweezers (for splinters and ticks), a P-38 GI can opener, and one of those mini eyeglass screwdrivers with repair screws. Works for me and probably lighter than a SAK or multitool.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

old henry.jpg 40 years old, the oldest piece of gear I carry!

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Under the ideas of being able to do "repairs" I carry something very much like the Letterman Squirt PS4 I came across at Lowe's.
    https://www.rei.com/product/802322/l...sku=8023220018

A Buck Mini-Tool 350 is always in my pack. The small blade, scissors, tweezers and pliers get used the most use. It weighs one ounce. They are, sadly, discontinued but can still be found on auction sites. I often also carry a slightly modified Opinel #8 at 1.5 ounces.

Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    Swiss Army mini. Was plenty. Hiking poles for a fight if need be...never were.
    I have the Victorinox Ambassador. It is identical to the Mini, but just slightly larger. I found the tools of the Mini just too small for my fat fingers to manipulate, especially the scissors. The Ambassador is just big enough to work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioHiker View Post
    Benchmade Bugout, Its the lightest real knife Ive found, 1.9oz. I just ordered a Mora Eldris to play with.
    My everyday EDC knife is a Benchmade. When I hike I carry the Benchmade Bugout which is light and very sharp and functional. If you go with the mini it is 1.5oz but I like the slightly larger blade at 1.9oz for the task I use it for.

Really enjoy fresh flavor added to my meals. I use fresh peppers, garlic, ginger, sundried tomatoes, and other produce to give a little kick to my food. One of the flexible cutting boards can be cut down to a size that nest with my pot. A Tyvek envelope makes a great placemat instead of prepping and eating in the dirt plus the envelope has many other uses.

Bugout.jpg

The tiniest Swiss Army knife they sell (the one smaller than your pinke) is all you'll ever need. On my entire thru hike, I don't think I ever even used the blade once. It was all scissor (for rounding tape edges) and occasionally the tweezers. Save weight and grab the littlest SA knife.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I use the SAK mini. For longer hikes I'll bring the version with the nail clippers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++