WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

A lucky guy.....must have a guardian angel

Wow! Yes, he was very lucky.

Very lucky is right! to have enough cell signal in a ravine in the Smokies for them to be able to get a good enough track of your whereabouts
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

https://thetrek.co/appalachian-trail...national-park/

“The hiker lost sight of the AT’s route due to this deep snow, and unintentionally began to travel off-trail.”

Are the White Blazes not on trees 6’-8’ High like they are in the Rockies?
    Wayne

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Wayne
    Yeah, but sometimes the blazes are old or faded or aren't painted well, trees fall, bark can peel, etc. I don't know about GSMNP specifically, but in most areas trail maintainers aren't out this early in the year to groom the trail. Sometimes snow will stick to tree trunks covering them and obscuring the blazes as well, especially during and after a storm. There are lots of ways to miss a blaze. Then there's good old human error, missing a turn at a double blaze, distraction, poor visibility and twilight or night hiking, following a path that must be the AT . . . and then all of a sudden the path AND blazes are gone. Usually you just backtrack, and in snow backtracking on your footprints should normally do the trick. But, as with most mistakes, armchair analysis is much easier than the real world situation.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Losing the trail in heavy snow sounds like a good reason to have a GPS app, with trail shown, on your phone. Or a dedicated GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Losing the trail in heavy snow sounds like a good reason to have a GPS app, with trail shown, on your phone. Or a dedicated GPS.
    or, you know, a map and compass since GPS can fail in bad weather conditions.

Heck, my phone GPS cuts out in heavy rain when I'm driving on highways!
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I'm doing lots of winter hiking here in the Alps, and usually in areas unknown to me.
    Can't imagine this without GPS (unless I'm following existing footsteps or skietracks), as most blazes or other trail signs are covered by snow, Most blazes are on rocks aside the trail and only now and then there might be a blaze higher up a tree, still visible above the snow.
    While I generally have a good idea about the rough direction the trail would be going, I still rely on the (smartphone)-GPS to find the exact track.
    More recently I'm carrying a second smartphone with the GPS running as a backup, in case I'd lose or break my main phone.

But then, its essential to know about the features the path is following along, just hiking down a ravine when the map doesn't indicate this is a very bad idea. And again, GPS can fail eventually, and would not set the hiker free from making correct decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by One Half View Post
    or, you know, a map and compass since GPS can fail in bad weather conditions.

Heck, my phone GPS cuts out in heavy rain when I'm driving on highways!
    I like redundancy. Map, compass, and GPS.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Wayne
    They are plenty high that the typical snow in GSMNP isn't going to cover them up.
    But they are spaced so far apart that you can NOT using them to follow the trail. You can only use them to know the trail you are on is still the AT.

I'm still surprised someone got that far off the AT in GSMNP. I'll admit I've got very little experience hiking GSMNP in fresh snow pack obscuring the trail. But I've got plenty experience hiking in fall with leaves obscuring the trail. GSMNP is a very dense forest, so it's usually very easy to follow the trail by keeping your head up and seeing the open path thru the trees and brush ahead of you.

Cool

I'm still surprised someone got that far off the AT in GSMNP. I'll admit I've got very little experience hiking GSMNP in fresh snow pack obscuring the trail. But I've got plenty experience hiking in fall with leaves obscuring the trail. GSMNP is a very dense forest, so it's usually very easy to follow the trail by keeping your head up and seeing the open path thru the trees and brush ahead of you.[/QUOTE]
    It is very easy to become disoriented in the snow, especially if you are not an experienced hiker. I understand that this hiker is from sunny California and probably does not have much of a snow hiking experience.

During Mercury's FKT attempt 18 months or so ago, Warren Doyle posted that she lost 2-3 hours searching for a blaze in GSMNP. No snow at that time, but it was in the dark.

With a lot of miles under the boots and having found myself in similar situations despite being careful, I can safely say it's not too hard to get off the trail during a heavy snow event. Wind driven snow can hide or camouflage white blaze markers during winter months, couple with that with worn out or missing blaze markers and snow covered terrain where most everything looks like a trail corridor with several "possible" routes moving down hill and you have a perfect recipe for trouble.

A map may have helped if the hiker knew how to use it along with a compass. GPS as a back up may have helped, presuming the battery had sufficient horsepower left. Apparently the cell phone functions of text and/or voice service was operational and saved a life. Another cautionary tale for anyone heading out into difficult terrain with the potential for bad weather in winter to have gear that will allow an overnight stay if there are problems.

Sounds like a good reason to use common sense and stay off the trail in winter conditions.
    A lot of resources and safety go in to a rescue, and people prioritizing their personal goals over the safety of them selves and others isn't acceptable IMO.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Sounds like a good reason to use common sense and stay off the trail in winter conditions.
    A lot of resources and safety go in to a rescue, and people prioritizing their personal goals over the safety of them selves and others isn't acceptable IMO.
    I'm not sure what you consider "winter conditions", which can range from cold temperatures and well blazed/trammeled trails to 3' of snow in blizzard conditions and points in-between. To me, winter conditions are a season that demands a bit more respect than other times of the year.

To paraphrase a well known aviation bromide, "Winter hiking in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to even a greater degree than the mountains or sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity, or neglect". I'm not sure staying off trails in winter conditions is necessary, provided you properly prepared. Like many people I tend to be out in winter as opposed to the heat of summer and enjoy it. That said, I am always prepared to spend a night in the forest should something happen or weather overtakes me. I don't carry a lot of gear for this so I will be uncomfortable to be sure, but will survive the night.

I have managed to get turned around snowshoeing through forests and mountains both familiar to me or new. Its not a pleasant feeling to suddenly find yourself well off where you thought you were and not having the proper tools to determine where you are and how to reach the destination or waypoint that puts you back on the trail. That comes back to basic preparation, looking at a map and finding roads/trails nearby that you know you can walk in a given direction and find for example.

Weather conditions being the first and last consideration and I would agree going out into the face of a Nor'easter snow storm should not be considered as opposed to predicted flurries which can be easily managed and rather enjoyable. Of course having the proper tools for navigation including a map, compass, and GPS (presumes connection through heavy snowfall, canopy or canyon) is pretty much required gear for me both alone and the cohorts I stumble around the back country with. Followed by wearing proper clothing, foot gear, and having a dry shirt, foul weather protection, fire making tools along with some food and water.

Apparently this lost hiker pushed on for whatever reasons, either into a storm event there was some advanced notice of, or continuing a long distance hike in heavy snow that probably should have been waited out in a shelter if possible, or tent. Having been pinned down in heavy snow for a while, its not all that comfortable but preferable to most any other option outside an errant snowmobile.

++ New Posts ++