WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Killington to Hanover on the AT. Which direction for a section hike?

I plan a backpacking trip with my daughter and her friend every year and I'm looking at the section from Killington Peak to Hanover. We have 5 days/4 nights. Ideally, we would start or end on the summit of Killington and take the gondola up or down depending if we're traveling nobo or sobo on the trail.

Mid-July timeframe.

Looking for some insight:

Which direction would you suggest?

How would you approach the shuttle logistics? I'll have one vehicle available. (Is there long-term/ overnight parking at the Killington resort in the summer?)

Any notable campsite/shelters to aim for? (the private shelter with a rooftop observation deck looks sweet! Any others stand out to you in this section?)

Anything else you'd highlight in this section?

Thanks!

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb My suggestions

Which direction would you suggest?
    Going downhill always seems easier to me, so I'd go down to Hanover.
    (Is there long-term/ overnight parking at the Killington resort in the summer?
    Not the resort, but there is a designated parking area right where The Trail crosses U.S. Highway 4.
    http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/s...+&sectionID=47

If you're going to hike downhill from Killington to Hanover, I strongly advise to park your car in Hanover, get a shuttle up to Killington, and return to your car.
    Go to page 7 of this pdf
    https://chambermaster.blob.core.wind...let-2019v2.pdf
    for info on long-term parking in the town of Hanover. Advantages of parking here include (1) there are literally 100s of cars here, so it won't be obvious that any one car is being used by a hiker, (2) police patrol this commuter lot, and (3) it's well known to all shuttle drivers. Here's a photo of the entrance
    https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=60315

Great resources, thank you. The Hanover Chamber guide is super helpful.

Starting at the top of Killington....with that view...would just inspire me to get started! Having done that section, I can say that day one would be a anticipation-filled gondola ride, that view, and an easy downhill to...wait for it....a night at the Inn at Long Trail! And that's just day one. There is so much to recommend that second half (+/-) of Vermont.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Thistle Hill shelter has a cool privy, good stop for night before Hanover.

Be ready to tent overall—that timeframe you’ll be in the both NOBO and SOBO bubbles to some degree.

That section cuts across the grain of the ridge lines so there is a lot of up and down. It's a bit harder than you might expect. It's also a designated campsite only section. It's also not a very interesting section. About the only view you will get is from Killington. Not sure if the private cabin is still open to the public or not, I seem to remember reading it had been closed.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Cabin was open summer of ‘21. No privy, no water.

I did it Northbound in 18' but started in Mass, ended in Hanover. I enjoyed my direction.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

There are real nice woods through the western part of that section including a small patch of old growth in Gifford Woods State Park. Not sure which shelter but remember going to get water one day at the water sources and discovered a big patch of stinging nettles with shorts on.

IMO, unless you are sticking to white blazes, the hike along the ridge from Killington over to Pico and down the Inn at the Long Trail via the old AT is a lot nicer than the AT reroute off the ridgeline. I think Pico Camp is still standing and its quite the little shelter, great view and definitely old school GMC construction. The downside is it does not hold many people. Nice views from the ski slope north. The AT relo is nice woods walk but plenty to walk through coming up so go for the view.

Journal Entries

It's a pretty tame section of trail;. Either way would be fine for me...
    Appalachian Trail completion 2022
    Georgia Loop 2022
    Benton Mackaye Trail 2023
    Foothills Trail 2023

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    IMO, unless you are sticking to white blazes, the hike along the ridge from Killington over to Pico and down the Inn at the Long Trail via the old AT is a lot nicer than the AT reroute off the ridgeline. I think Pico Camp is still standing and its quite the little shelter, great view and definitely old school GMC construction. The downside is it does not hold many people. Nice views from the ski slope north. The AT relo is nice woods walk but plenty to walk through coming up so go for the view.
    I absolutely agree! I've done both NOBO descents from Killington and I much preferred the older route. I think it goes by "Shelburne Trail" now, but is still well marked. Yes, I'm pretty sure the old shelter/cabin still stands and makes a great stop. The best part though is that the trail ends right at the camping area across from the Inn!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

3 years ago president day weekend I drove up to Vermont and parked across the inn and snow shoed up to the cabin and stayed the night, very cool cabin indeed. I also stayed at the inn for 2 nights and skied Pico. What a great time

Thanks to each of you who shared your thoughts and insight. Greatly appreciated!

++ New Posts ++