WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Shuttle volunteering? Newbie needs advice

Excuse this interloper - I am not either a thru hiker or a sectional hiker (although I have hiked sections of the AT in Georgia, NC and Virginia). However, I hike 3 times a week at Amicalola Falls, which of course is the beginning of the access trail to Springer Mountain. Anyway, it has been my pleasure many times to meet hikers either at the beginning or the end of their hike. I'm retired and live about an hour from Atlanta airport. Can I volunteer to give rides from the airport to Amicalola, or is there an insurance issue? I do have the time, and would love to help out. Let me have comments. Thanks.

You can whatever you would like....Now I learned this winter, as I tried to advertise doing the same that you will get some nasty messages/ comments from some shuttle drivers. But you have the right to coordinate, and pickup whom ever you would like and drive them to the trail

I would also say you could do a lot of helping in March for getting a large majority of people OFF the trail when they find out its not for them
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Mchalmers View Post
    Can I volunteer to give rides from the airport to Amicalola, or is there an insurance issue? I do have the time, and would love to help out. Let me have comments. Thanks.
    If you are not Charging and actually Giving rides for free, I don't see a problem; as for your insurance, that would be a total different matter.

When I looked into it years ago, the agent made the same distinction. If you do it for free regular car insurance covers it. If done with the expectation that you are charging for the ride its commercial and requires commercial insurance (not cheap). If the riders want to pay for gas or give you cash you can accept it but you cannot ask for cash. There was a local shuttler in NH that offered "free" shuttles but set expectations up front when arranging a ride that he expected compensation. This is a case where if he had a claim and it was investigated, they may not cover the claim. He was retired with not real assets, just a rented room and a car so his risk was low.

That said 99% of the folks will be great passengers with interesting stories. Many will be clueless and plan on doing some handholding. Just hope you do not get the 1% that makes you regret you offered a ride.

Set clear expectations, I suggest no drinking, no drugs and no smoking unless you are a smoker. Set hard and fast limits on how many folks you will give a ride to. Require seatbelts. Spend a bit of time that they now where they are staying that night. Some folks are natural con artists and will regard you as an easy mark. . Keep any valuables out of sight and make sure you double check the car when you are dropping off a hiker. Its easy for a hiker in rush to inadvertently leave something in your car.

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    If you are not Charging and actually Giving rides for free, I don't see a problem; as for your insurance, that would be a total different matter.
    Do you see a problem if one is charging for rides?

It is not a problem as long as the driver is willing to be sued for whatever they are worth if there is a car accident, or the paying customer is somehow injured during the experience. Even if there is no basis or caused by another party the legal costs for defense can add up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goodman View Post
    Like Peakbagger said, it opens up a lot of possible negative situations. I am not sure what the local, regional or state laws regarding shuttle service require, but I would recommend checking into that first before setting my guidelines for operation.
    Another thing to consider would be the wear and tear on a vehicle. Something like this could become quite costly in this area. Maybe not a major concern for you but certainly a consideration depending on how much time and mileage you plan to invest in this. I imagine that this type of activity[without compensation] would get old soon after a few major expenses/repairs to my vehicle. YMMV
    Good Luck!

There may be a few issues related to offering and/or charging for transportation which can change your status from private use to commercial use. If you will be taking money, there are business licenses to consider along with assorted regulations that may also include local/State taxation, special Commercial vehicle or Livery registration may be needed, or operation permits to enter State/National Parks to pick up passengers depending on the State. Though I don't see an issue if you are transporting people without a fee, there is another character that enters the equation, which is insurance.

Your vehicle insurance will be at risk if you are doing this for a fee or may even be impacted without a stated fee schedule and "taking reimbursement for fuel". If there is an accident and passengers are hurt or killed, your insurer may legally surmise you were acting as a commercial transportation service and since your policy is for a private vehicle the claim can be denied, leaving you exposed to many thousands of dollars in law suits. This, to me, is the most concerning aspect that you should discuss with your insurer and see what they recommend. Your insurer makes the rules on this and may have special call out provisions about transportation reimbursements or "donations" that differ from local or State codes.

Then there is the issue of taxation by County or State if it's found you are operating a service and receiving income (remuneration) for your time. Remuneration can be a serious issue if its found you are doing business (picking up passengers that starts the transportation voyage) within the boundaries of States or Counties that needs to be looked at carefully as each State and County has their own taxation schedules and rules. The IRS may look at this issue as well if you are deriving income.

While I applaud the effort to help hikers move about the trail systems without fee, legally there are some serious hurdles to clear. Remember, law suits against you can surface if there is an accident caused by you or another driver, claims (legit or otherwise) for missing gear during transit, even minor injuries like cutting a finger on something sharp in the trunk or rear of the vehicle. We are a litigious society unfortunately, the only vaccination to this is insurance and for that, you need to play by their rules along with the appropriate local authority.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

When you start charging, it becomes a "commercial" endeavor which suddenly changes a bunch of things to "do it right" from insurance costs, the types of insurance you might need, license requirements (business for where you might be operating, or permits if you include shuttling in a National Park or other government area requiring a commercial permit).

I do not own a car so i have no saying in the insurance intricates. But there are trail angels who give rides to hikers with no issues whatsoever. Think of yourself more as a trail angel who is willing to help a hiker in need than a "professional" driver and, IMHO, you will be okay.

it has been my pleasure many times to meet hikers either at the beginning or the end of their hike. I'm retired and live about an hour from Atlanta airport. Can I volunteer to give rides from the airport to Amicalola, or is there an insurance issue? I do have the time, and would love to help out. Let me have comments. Thanks.
    yes you can give free rides no problem. so-called "trail angels" do it all the time

The shuttle drivers will be swamped soon and may appreciate assists in getting folks up from ATL. Talk to Ron Brown, Donald Ballard, Michelle Cofer to get their take so that you aren’t impacting their livelihoods too much.

Another thought is to contact Uber or Lyft and see if you can set yourself up as a driver who only takes riders from ATL to Amicalola Falls. That should cover the insurance issue.

Excuse this interloper - I am not either a thru hiker or a sectional hiker (although I have hiked sections of the AT in Georgia, NC and Virginia). However, I hike 3 times a week at Amicalola Falls, which of course is the beginning of the access trail to Springer Mountain. Anyway, it has been my pleasure many times to meet hikers either at the beginning or the end of their hike. I'm retired and live about an hour from Atlanta airport. Can I volunteer to give rides from the airport to Amicalola, or is there an insurance issue? I do have the time, and would love to help out. Let me have comments. Thanks.
    If you would like to be listed in the Shuttle directory, posted on the WhiteBlaze home page, send a PM to me, or attroll, provide an email address, and we will send you a link to the shuttle provider information sign-up form.

Shuttle operators offering all levels of service, including full commercial operators to local trail angels, are listed.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

++ New Posts ++