WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Garmin Anyone?

Default Garmin Anyone?

​My wife has decided spending $350 on a Garmin InReach Mini satellite communicator is a good idea, considering I'm hiking in the Grand Canyon this year. I will probably just sign up for the Safety Plan as I am getting this mostly for emergency use and not for regular communication or tracking (I don't feel the need to stay connected while out). However I will probably want to send some some of the pre-set text messages you can set up in advance. For those who have used these (or those who have thought about it), besides a "Got to camp OK and on schedule" type of check-in pre-set message, are there others you might suggest or have found useful?

I don’t have one, but I think just an “All OK” daily message would be sufficient for your purposes. You can only create 3 preset messages, and that must be done from your computer and then synced to your device. When setting up the 3 presets you can have them include your GPS coordinates. You can send an unlimited number of preset messages with the Safety Plan, and 10 regular text messages per month ($0.50 for each text message over 10). Any replies to the preset messages count against your limit of 10 text messages.

My three are - stopped for the night, off trail to resupply and taking side trail. I use the last two just to let someone know that I am off trail in case I should disappear.

I started using a Mini the last couple of months. Definitely should have started in the summer when I was in CO as I often did not have cell connection.

Currently I am just using the standard preset messages that it defaults to. You can see them in your dashboard.
    I have considered switching them a little but am currently only doing day hikes and getting used to using it. And I have full cell coverage currently.
    But, considering what I want to do this summer I have thought perhaps:
    1- starting today's hike
    2- stopping for night
    3- returning home (at end of trip) or maybe returning to my vehicle or possibly Pick me up at arranged spot/time

A bonus to using the preset messages is that you can include your location with the message without having to input it
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I have what One Half has for presets. Except for my "Stopping here" "starting here", I also have "No need to reply". So "Stopping here, no need to reply". She knows she MAY reply but it's not needed. I usually have the safety plan and told her that "Chit Chat" just runs thru the paid-for messages faster.
    Pare with your phone......
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

I check-in before going to sleep once a day only via text messaging. When mobile connectivity is absent, one of three messages goes out:

1. Making camp here. No phone service. Unable to receive or send text messages
    2. Off Trail end of the day check-in. Spending night at this location.
    3. Nasty weather so I'm hunkering down. May have to stay an extra day. Nothing to worry about.

Believe Garmin limits messages to 160 characters.
    Last edited by Recalc; 01-26-2022 at 18:23.

I go on a lot of day hikes starting from remote trailheads without service so a sort of unique one of mine is, “At the trailhead, starting hike”. After all, the drive to the trailhead is the most dangerous part of most hikes. Like most others, I also have an “at camp all, is well” and “heading out for the day, all is well”. I would prefer not to send these regularly but remind myself it’s a small price to pay to preserve domestic tranquility

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    I have what One Half has for presets. Except for my "Stopping here" "starting here", I also have "No need to reply". So "Stopping here, no need to reply". She knows she MAY reply but it's not needed. I usually have the safety plan and told her that "Chit Chat" just runs thru the paid-for messages faster.
    Pare with your phone......
    I like the "no need to reply" addition

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

My pre-sets and sending protocols are similar to most above.

However, if the SHTF it's nice to already have installed and become familiar with the Earthmate app on the phone in case more detailed messages might be needed.

But typically I turn mine on very briefly only morning and evening to ping my wife with a preset message.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    My pre-sets and sending protocols are similar to most above.

However, if the SHTF it's nice to already have installed and become familiar with the Earthmate app on the phone in case more detailed messages might be needed.

But typically I turn mine on very briefly only morning and evening to ping my wife with a preset message.
    there are also 10 other messages you can set. these may be a little vague but you could set them up for some minor emergencies. anything huge and you have the SOS feature as well. Texting from the unit sucks but is doable. if your phone dies for any reason you need to know how to compose a message using that tiny screen.

Quote Originally Posted by One Half View Post
    there are also 10 other messages you can set. these may be a little vague but you could set them up for some minor emergencies. anything huge and you have the SOS feature as well. Texting from the unit sucks but is doable. if your phone dies for any reason you need to know how to compose a message using that tiny screen.
    Yes, I'm aware of the pre-sets, and you can actually edit those ahead of time, as I'm sure you know.

And using the texting function on the Mini, while technically possible, is maddeningly tedious. Certainly encourages brief, concise responses!

Read Meriwether Lewis's letter to his mother. I think there is an excerpt in "Undaunted Courage." It helped me decide whether to carry a cell phone.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Read Meriwether Lewis's letter to his mother. I think there is an excerpt in "Undaunted Courage." It helped me decide whether to carry a cell phone.
    The world has changed a bit since 1804.

Carry what you want, leave the rest at home. As long as somebody is not hiking with speakers blaring, I don't give a horse's derriere what they choose — or choose not — to carry. I might (OK, I do ) have my private thoughts about how this or that is silly or unnecessary, but I keep them to myself.

BUT, if you've taken a bad spill and have a broken leg and somebody's electronic device can summon help quickly... you wouldn't accept the assist?

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    What did he say in this letter that impacted your decision?

I have been using zoleo, can conveniently carry on a two-way text convo tethered to your phone and send sos with just the device.

I was also thinking that on day hikes when "peak bagging" a good option for one of those presets is "turning around now" which could be employed whether you reach the peak or have to give up on that (especially in places like CO).

Are you sure it will work if you’re down in a canyon? Sometimes mine takes a while to send messages.

just a thought

My messages:
    MAKE SURE YOU PRACTICE with your spouse/otherand TEST SOS (using test feature, not a real SOS)

I like using some of my Free 10 messages for the weather sometimes.

Preset Messages (Discuss with spouse or recipient(s) in advance about what your messages mean and your expectation for a reply if any).

AM: starting day PM: at camp destination LOVE: you!
    (one free message covers starting and stopping)

Delayed, but everything is OK. Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast.
    (relieve the wife if I am running later than planned)

Pick me up here. Not an emergency.
    (got too tired and quit, or finished hike, or need a beer deliver, or…)

Quick Text Messages (have only formatted a couple and add/edit others depending on the outing)

SOS sent. Priority is communicating with Rescue Services. Will update you as time permits. Trust the professionals. Love you.
    (this way if my wife gets a call from emergency services she does not worry too much)

Steve Souers using satellite messaging. Keep messages short. 160 character limit In/Out. Reply in this thread, related phone # is not real. It'll be slow.
    (this is if I have to send a message to someone who is not familiar with the Garmin messaging)

My presets are like One Half with # 3 as: I finished this trip. To my emergency contacts this means I returned to my car/leaving backcountry and I am probably going to be reachable via cell phone shortly.
    AT Nobo 2013; NPT-2014-2019; NCT-PA miles 0- and CNY miles 0-53

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Are you sure it will work if you’re down in a canyon? Sometimes mine takes a while to send messages.

just a thought
    I wondered this too so I asked on a GC hiking group and many reported good results. In the GC, most of the time you are in a pretty open area. It's not a slot canyon but there may be brief times you are in an enclosed area.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++