WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Just for example - remember the guy they found dead in FL after his GF was found dead? .... just remember, the media was calling that guy an "experienced hiker" when he was thought to possibly be on the AT. Then it was exposed in a FB post or something he was bragging about surviving for weeks on nothing but roman noodles or something (it wasn't roman noodles but something like that) and other instances to show lack of experience. So if the media says someone is experienced there is just as good a chance they are not at all.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

And..... what I've found out in life is "the empty can ratlles the most ".

Quote Originally Posted by LazyLightning View Post
    Just for example - remember the guy they found dead in FL after his GF was found dead? .... just remember, the media was calling that guy an "experienced hiker" when he was thought to possibly be on the AT. Then it was exposed in a FB post or something he was bragging about surviving for weeks on nothing but roman noodles or something (it wasn't roman noodles but something like that) and other instances to show lack of experience. So if the media says someone is experienced there is just as good a chance they are not at all.
    There are people with 30 years of experience and those who have repeated the first year 30 times.

Images

The very best of us can, and do, make mistakes. And I'm decidedly not among the best. I can't hike 15 miles in the Whites on a day hike, even in summer (not anymore anyway). I haven't bagged the whatever number of whatever footers anywhere (like the younger of these two guys). I've retraced my steps, more times than I'd like to admit, to get back on trail after wandering off. I've even bushwacked out of the woods to a road after getting thoroughly disoriented. I've turned around when the weather turned bad or conditions started deteriorating. Maybe I'm just too risk adverse (cluck, cluck). That said, I think that if I had to be rescued once (as one of these two did only 2 years prior), I'd be damned sure to never - EVER - let it happen again.

What I don't understand in this case is that both of these guys live in the basic geographical area / climate conditions where this occurred, have all sorts of hiking experience that eclipses mine (ADK 3500 clubs, pics of winter ascents on their FB page, etc.), and yet were thoroughly unprepared to spend even a single night out in the woods - on a 15 mile hike, in the White Mountains, in the dead of winter, on snowshoes, . . . Even in summer, with relatively benign weather conditions and 15 hours of daylight, I'd be at least minimally prepared (gear and water) to spend a night out on almost any hike, simply because $#!^ can and does happen. So, I just don't get it. I'm tempted to ask, "What am I missing"? But then I think that perhaps I don't really want to know the answer. Maybe because 40 - 50 years ago when I started hiking we couldn't - and wouldn't - get rescued if we f, er, messed up. There were no cell phones, nor PLBs, nor anything. At best there was a check-in call after a hike, but more likely just a sign-in at a trail register. We KNEW that no one was coming to save our butts [from our own stupidity], for at least for a day or two. So we planned and behaved and carried appropriate gear accordingly.

Sigh. Oh well, just another rant from an OG on the demise of self-sufficiency and responsibility, and perhaps the rise of dependence and arrogance - which doesn't seem, embarrassingly for my generation, to be exclusively a function of youth. 25 years ago (or likely less - Maine has never had good cell service), or one dead phone battery these days, they might have been found injured and frostbitten, or even dead. Some say "no harm, no foul". I'll only agree to half of that - that there was ultimately no harm. But only because thanks to the good fortune of a cell phone having a working battery and being able to see a tower, mother nature wasn't able to throw her flag and dish out the penalty.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 02-04-2022 at 12:54.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Sums it up nicely for me, being the same age.

Back then, our rescue plan was us. Certainly brought more gravity and immediacy to the "What if?" scenarios... nobody was going to come get you.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Amen, brother.

I have a cell phone, but can't rely on service. It's still my plan, every hike, that I have a time I'll be home, and someone responsible will call the ranger if I'm not. And I have what I need to get through the night if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf - 23000 View Post
    I have only seen a few clips, but from what I have seen there are a lot of difficulties he is not sharing. I did my winter Maine hike in 2005. It is not an easy trip. Unless someone has a lot of winter experience, I would not recommend it. I believe I even posted a few photos here on whiteblaze. Wolf
    I've gotten really into watching his videos. That's got me thinking a lot about what it's like to backpack on the AT in winter--the difficulties and what kind of experience is needed, and more.
    ---------------

I could go on about this, and don't want to get too off topic here.
    So, I'll put all that into a different, new thread. This thread started with a response to this article and how these two hikers got into a serious (life-threatening) jam and were rescued: https://bangordailynews.com/2022/01/...O8nf8TZiNL7sac

I just can’t believe this. It’s beyond foolish or crazy; it’s beyond belief. I agree there’s got to be more to the story. I have done this section in summertime and that was difficult enough.

I am not an experienced winter conditions hiker by any means. I do have a couple thoughts on this, however. As I recall that section of the AT is very challenging even in good weather. I have to admit that I slack packed it on my AT thru-hike and felt fortunate I didn't have my entire kit on me. Very tough terrain and we all know the infamy.

Like most in this thread, I "enjoy" reading about backcountry trips gone awry. From what I have seen, people who perish or come close are not always novices. The level of experience may often be exaggerated in the media, but experience in the backwoods is not the only ticket to survival. It also requires judgement. It's not uncommon to get bad forecasts and you can find yourself in an unexpected situation. Backpackers are stubborn to turn around or even hunker down and ride it out. Bottom line is you need to expect the unexpected and leave your "pride" back at the trailhead. As I once heard on an AMC video, "Mother Nature is indifferent about outcomes".

Images

Just as a parallel: Most private pilots I know closely follow NTSB and AOPA accident reports on general aviation incidents. One of the behavioral failures that is most common in aviation, even with experienced pilots, is known technically as "plan continuation bias", aka get-there-itis, a subconscious cognitive bias to continue the original plan in spite of changing conditions, accounting for almost half of all fatal general aviation accidents. We see this similar behavior in hiking and mountaineering (called summit fever) quite often, as in this rescue event. When it became apparent early-on, based upon their progress, that they couldn't possibly complete their hike, and yet unprepared to spend the night, they continued on rather than turning back at the half-way point time wise. In hindsight, it never makes any sense, but it happens all too frequently, and is repeated year after year. We humans are stubborn creatures.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by RiverbirchHiker View Post
    I've gotten really into watching his videos. That's got me thinking a lot about what it's like to backpack on the AT in winter--the difficulties and what kind of experience is needed, and more.
    ---------------
    RiverbirchHiker,

I have section hiked the entire AT in the winter. It is not an easy journey. I did my journey nearly entirely without support. I also accepted the risk that if something was going to happen, there was not going to be a rescue team coming after me. There are multiple challenges that most people are not even going to think about until they are there. The first is route finding on the trail marked with white blazes surrounded by white is not easy. On top of that you are breaking snow continuously. Some area the snow is going to be extremely deep others less - it depends on where the snow collects with the wind. And of course, there is water. My guest is these two knock heads were not carrying enough water or had their water freeze on them. Winter hiking is very physical demanding - you need a lot of water to keep yourself hydrated enough. Videos can tell you a lot but there are a lot more that unless you are there or experience, most hikers are not going to know.

Wolf

Is it really a rescue if you walk out under your own power?
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    IMHO, Yes, If you have to call for a rescue and S&R folks need to respond to the site, its a rescue. S&R folks had to mobilize and that can be inherently risky. Granted the outcome was good, but no doubt in cold winter conditions the Incident commander had to assume that it could turn into a carryout. I would not be surprised if there may have been 20 or 30 S&R folks contacted to be ready to respond.

Images

Well, if you call 911, and Rangers/SAR/Wardens have to come in to bring you water and gear, and then guide you out of the woods, only then being able to walk out under your own power, well, yeah, it's a rescue.

If you can't get out by yourself and somebody has to bring gear, water and food to facilitate your extraction, it's a rescue.

You folks are forgetting the most important part. The SaR team broke the trail they hiked them out on. Breaking trail in deep snow is much harder than following a path someone else broke out.

It's just walking...until there's five feet of snow on the trail
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

As 4eyedbuzzard pointed out, since they did call 911, it involved sending out rangers/SAR/Wardens trekking out with additional gear, water, and other necessities to get someone out. Yes, the two idiots were able to hike out under their own power, but they called for assistance to get them out. In Maine, when that wind picks up at night, it becomes extremely difficult to navigate.People often overlook the resue teams are risking their lives. Even trained professionals can have things go very wrong. It is not cheap to organize a rescue team. There are many more people involved than just the people on the ground. That is money that could have been used to help preserve our wilderness for future generations. It is taking away from future generations when money has to be wasted because someone was not prepared.

Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStranger View Post
    You folks are forgetting the most important part. The SaR team broke the trail they hiked them out on. Breaking trail in deep snow is much harder than following a path someone else broke out.

It's just walking...until there's five feet of snow on the trail
    And that's with snowshoes. I've not read anywhere about whether or not they had them. "Without proper gear" implies this but it's not stated.

If they were postholing without them, they would have been in seriously deep doo-doo. Even with snowshoes it's frequently hard to average over 1mph and sometimes it's much less. On one occasion it took 3 friends and me 6hr45min to travel 3.3 miles from Mt. Guyot to Zealand Hut in the Whites... with snowshoes, of course.

Default Can we try to be helpful?

Y'all are pretty harsh in your judgement. I mean, "Darwin Award was Interrupted..." and "LOL, yep still in the gene pool :-" are pretty cruel for a couple of people that made a mistake and had to call for help. If I read the story correctly, they walked back to their car and were uninjured. It may be a good object lesson, but I'm disappointed in the casual cruelty of the comments. As a community, we can be better.
    I agree. There may be more to this story, the media doesn't always tell it correctly. Even if it is accurate, its this type of condemnation that makes people unwilling to try new things. Or to reach out to "experts" and ask for advice. I also understand that rescuers were put in danger and there may be a cost to the tax payers for this, but I don't think we need to continue to bash these people. I think its more helpful to also provide some advice, some of what was posted here. Such as, don't just carry what you think you need for a day hike, carry something for overnight also, just in case. That make sense, now take it one step further, it would be nice to see discussion on what a person might take for an emergency overnight.

[/QUOTE]

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++