WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Lake placid snow shoeing ????

I'm thinking about driving up president day weekend and doing some. I would drive up Friday about 8 hours so not much hiking/snowshoeing the first day. But I would have a couple hours Friday, Saturday, Sunday to snowshoe and explore and hike and camp etc.

So can someone recommend a loop or up and back nothing to crazy low mileage and views of course would be awesome. Thanks for any responses.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Cascade Mtn is your best bet. 2.5 mi RT w/ great views but 2000' ascent.

You could add Porter Mtn on same day, as it is next door.

You can also go to the ADK Loj and head to Marcy Dam and beyond to the impressive Avalanche Lake which will be frozen and provides an excellent lunch spot. I think that's 6 mi RT with < 1,000' ascent.

Get the book ​Discover the Adirondack High Peaks​ by Barbara McMartin
    Be Prepared

Images

There's Mt. Jo at Heart lake Campground. Easy snowshoe up and back a small peak for a morning or afternoon.
    Not sure what you are seeking for elev. gains but if you are looking for a great climb, you can go up and back on Wright Peak It's on the shoulder of Algonquin, which is another great full day of winter peak hiking. You might need crampons on the upper reaches of Algonquin.
    If you don't mind a short drive south of the peaks, to the Garden Parking lot in Keene Valley, it's a great trip up the Brothers - plenty of ledges with incredible views of the southern HPs.

I second Barbara McMartins Books. Got me through my first round of the 46.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Check out the Lake Placid 9er. You should find exactly what you're looking for. Enjoy!

lakeplacid9er.com

PS: Smoke Signals, The Lake Placid Brew Pub, and Big Slide Brewery would be some dinner options I would suggest. They will all be busy that weekend so figure that into your plan.

Thank you very much for your suggestions everybody. I'm going to get that book for future trips. I've checked out the ADK Loj and the 9er looks awesome that is what I'm looking for now I know some options. It's my birthday that weekend and I'm just feeling so damn down,blue and depressed lately I have to do something to get me out of my comfort zone to pull myself out of a black hole.

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Thank you very much for your suggestions everybody. I'm going to get that book for future trips. I've checked out the ADK Loj and the 9er looks awesome that is what I'm looking for now I know some options. It's my birthday that weekend and I'm just feeling so damn down,blue and depressed lately I have to do something to get me out of my comfort zone to pull myself out of a black hole.
    For me, spending time in the hills has always been good for my soul. Hope you enjoy your time in the Adirondacks and find much rest and renewal of mind, body, and spirit. Let me know if I can help answer any other questions.

Journal Entries

I second Mt Jo, starting at Heart Lake, but contact the ADK LOJ (LOJ is pronounced Lodge), they own the property by Heart Lake and can be very helpful giving suggestions. It's owned and operated by Adirondack Mountain Club, and you can check them out at https://adk.org/ .

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Mt. Jo is good if you are a 1st time snowshoer.
    Be Prepared

++ New Posts ++