WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Default Snow conditions northern NJ

Thinking about a hike along the NY / NJ border section of the trail, including the Boardwalk. Snow and trail conditions?
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

I hiked in Wawayanda yesterday. Not on the AT, but in the park. I wished I had spikes (or ice skates). The trails we were on were covered in Ice and hard snow. I'm willing to bet the AT between NJ/NY Border through the Boardwalk are the same. It was Beautiful out there, just slow going.
    Trail Name: Gadget
    Completed:
    NJ - 2016
    NY- 2017
    CT - 2018
    PA, DWG to Pt Clinton - 2019
    NJ (Again) - 2020

Planned:
    PA, Pt Clinton to Duncannon - 2021
    PA, Duncannon to Pen-Mar - 2022

I was in Harriman State park (NY) yesterday for an overnighter, which has very similar conditions. Same as ChrisMek stated.

Definitely going to need microspikes. Some day hikers were using YakTrax which were totally useless on the hard ice. I took off my microspikes this morning right at my car parking spot at Silver Mine Lake and damn near busted my azz putting my pack into the back seat. Got a little ding on my shin to show for it.

Light snow this morning has now stopped. Just enough to lightly cover whatever is on ground but there will be little melting today as we have cloud cover and a high of 33. Mixed percip tonight but after you would be out of woods.
    AT Nobo 2013; NPT-2014-2019; NCT-PA miles 0- and CNY miles 0-53

++ New Posts ++