WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Steam Baking

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Steam Baking

I've been back country camping for over 20 years. Why am I only just now learning about steam bake?

The basic idea is rather than a dry oven, you bake with the 210º heat of steam. You simply create a steam oven by placing some water in your cook pot, then place the bake inside another container (something that will lift it off the very bottom of your pot... I've seen where some people simply insert a few stones in the bottom of their pot), cover and let water boil for about 15 to 20 minutes.

Today at home, I tried "Bisquik Complete" butter milk biscuits (it's a 'just add water' mix). Mixed 1/4 the packet (53g) with the correct amount of water (30ml) inside a coke can (lid cut off, and covered the opening with aluminum foil to keep liquids out of the can). Let water boil about 15 to 20 minutes, and the result was a large biscuit with a similar consistency of the inside of a slightly undercooked biscuit from Cracker Barrel.

Obviously just a baking method does not brown the outside of the biscuit. But I loved the results and HAVE to try this for my next back country adventure. If you like a toasty outside, some recommend stabbing the result with a stick and hold it over a fire.

Images

The more you bake and are able to judge how much water to put in, you'll be able to slightly brown the top by having the pot be empty of water.

You can also use that techique for thick soups and chili. Works great

Images

I've done alot of baking with this small vintage one egg poaching pan. It's light weight :-)) and can cook eggs also

Images

I also turned one those poachers into a coffee percolator just for the heck of it :-)))

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Obviously just a baking method does not brown the outside of the biscuit. But I loved the results and HAVE to try this for my next back country adventure. If you like a toasty outside, some recommend stabbing the result with a stick and hold it over a fire.
    So have you gotten any ideas now how to brown the top of your baked goodies? When are you scheduled for your next outdoor adventure?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    So have you gotten any ideas now how to brown the top of your baked goodies? When are you scheduled for your next outdoor adventure?
    I like my biscuits slightly underdone, so I don't care if my, at least my 1st attempts at baking a biscuit in the back country, is brown or not.
    For the moment, I've first just have to figure out exactly what equipment I'll have to add to my existing gear to accomplish the baking... especially since I need to allow for baking for just me and for me and my son as he frequently joins me on camping trips.

Man that zelph can bake, I wish he was my hiking buddy))

Hookoodooku, check out shugs baking)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Man that zelph can bake, I wish he was my hiking buddy))

Hookoodooku, check out shugs baking)
    If I could only perfect baking my own B&M with raisnin bread

Here is a link to shugs baking video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4FJnuGu1uDI&amp%3Bt=18s

Years ago I purchased some silicone muffin “papers”. They look like disposable muffin papers but are made of silicone and are reusable.
    My plan was to do backpacking baking. I haven’t gotten there yet. Maybe now y’all have inspired me again! Thanks!
    Wayne

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I haven’t gotten there yet. Maybe now y’all have inspired me again! Thanks!
    Wayne
    1st chance you get, do some back yard experimenting, spring will eventuall get here

++ New Posts ++