WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Looking for information from someone who has hiked the Potomac Heritage Scenic Trail

I completed an AT thruhike this year, next year I need something shorter for family reasons, and I'm looking at the Potomac Heritage Scenic Trail. It's hard to find information on this, which is a minor trail with a fair amount of road walking; I'm trying to put together a hiking map with mileage. I contacted Constantine who is a very experienced thruhiker and got some helpful information from him. Does anyone know of an existing trail map? I found one on Postholer but I can't figure out how to export GPX data from it.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

The NPS has a historical folding "Unigrid" map for the "trail" but there is no topo hiking map per se that I've ever seen.

The trail is nothing like the AT as you know. Unlike the historical trails out west (Morman Trail; Santa Fe Trail, etc), there aren't even that many road signs to follow.

https://www.nps.gov/pohe/planyourvisit/maps.htm
    Be Prepared

The only section I'm very familiar with is the approximately ten miles that goes from Arlington, Virginia to the Capitol Beltway along the Virginia side of the Potomac. I used to run the section from Arlington to the Chain Bridge where I would cross over and run the C&O canal back to Arlington. It's not a bad trail, but can be swampy and buggy in summer. I do not believe that there are any legal camping options on this stretch, although the trail joins the C&O canal towpath according to the map and there are hiker/biker campgrounds along the C&O (that I haven't personally used). The section between Arlington and Mt. Vernon is a paved bike trail that I run on frequently -- no legal camping that I know of along this ~17 mile stretch.

++ New Posts ++