WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default The 1000 Mile Challenge (BMT + PNRT + AT)

From the recent BMTA newsletter:

The Benton MacKaye Trail Association, the Alabama Pinhoti Association and the Georgia Pinhoti Trail Association have joined together to offer a new long-distance hike – the 1,000 Mile Challenge. The route for the Challenge includes:

• The Pinhoti National Recreation Trail (PNRT) (Flagg Mountain >> the intersection with the Benton MacKaye Trail (BMT near Dyer Gap)
    • The BMT (Springer Mountain >> Big Creek)
    • The Appalachian Trail (AT) (Davenport Gap >> Springer Mountain)
    (The Chestnut Branch Trail (Big Creek >> Davenport Gap) is used to connect the AT and BMT.)

The 1,000 Mile Challenge was created to showcase the beauty of the Southern Appalachian Mountains in Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee and North Carolina. The Challenge also is established to bring recognition to the Pinhoti and Benton MacKaye trails as premiere hiking destinations in the Deep South.

The route forms a lollipop and hikers may begin/end at any point on the route. The associations will recognize both thru and section hikes. See 1,000-Mile Challenge Map.

Secluded forest pathways, exquisite panoramic vistas and cascading white-water waterfalls are the hallmark of all three trails.
    Read the whole newsletter (and see details on how to apply, if you're inclined) here: https://bmta.org/wp-content/uploads/...eid=eac5ad3a61

I understand some folks think these backpacking awards/certifications are silly, but I personally enjoy recognizing and celebrating every on-trail accomplishment. I completed the form and look forward to getting the patches in the mail

I also think it's a cool idea to "formalize" this route.

The Pinhoti, especially in Alabama, has been getting a lot of love. The trail towns are developing and there are hostels and shuttlers that are very knowledgeable. Sunny "Nimbelwill Nomad" will see you off or welcome you home at the Southern Terminus at Flagg Mt. This is a great time of year to hike it.

Charlotte

++ New Posts ++