WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Trail Magic?

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I did a "hiker feed" at one of the GSMNP back country shelters a few years ago. I brought along my huge MSR dromedary bag with a faucet-style on/off handle. Before we got started, I filtered a bunch of water and set that up on "water ==>" sign post along with a bottle of camp soap. Our one request before anyone partook of our food was to first wash their hands because we did have a single communal bottle of ketchup and bag of Oreo cookies. {The ridge-runner staying at the shelter that day was impressed by this little detail}
    I agree, a nice upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post
    My apologies, after reading my post, I was overly harsh. I am sorry.
    Seems fine to me. If only the OP had asked to provide locations and times for hiker feeds, olease no thread hijacking, editorializing, and commenting about hiker feeds or trail magic thank you.

For folks who want to provide food or assistance to hikers, it sounds like a win-win. The providers may be paying back, feeling a part of a dream they can't have for themselves or just being a "giving" person. Hikers after a month or so, will clearly appreciate the love. Hikers are very different in what they crave, far wider appetites than decades ago. Make sure you have fruit, coffee, chairs and anything prepared in a kitchen. With providing this comes responsibility to provide sanitation for hands before eating and trying to keep hiker hands from following hiker hands. Norovirus sucks. Trust me. Maybe the most important thing is clean up and practice your commitment to leave no trace. Everyone has an opinion. I know the ATC shames trail magic feeds and some on this board are in that camp. I can tell you that while I did not experience any large feeds on my AT hike, I did get one on the PTC and they are wonderful. A huge pick me up and put some pep in my step.

Oh heck yes! Do your thing at Wayah Bald on May 13. Perfect time.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

Trail magic I have performed:
    giving my "extra" food to a thru hiker the night before my last day hike out on my short section (yes, hiker hunger hadn't really kicked in for me)
    sharing a water filter when someone else's broke
    coming back to a section a week later to pick up a thru who wanted to get into Boston to see family/friends (I used to live close enough (2 hrs) to Adams, MA to go get them and drop them at a train/bus station)

Trail magic I have received:
    a ride when my feet were blistered
    a little food when I needed it
    a "birthday cake" from a group of scouts I was helping chaperone on a trip (yes, it was my birthday. no, I didn't know they knew)
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Best trail magic ever: After an hour of unsuccessfully trying to get a ride to Lake City, Colorado, I started walking the 17 miles toward town. After about 1.5 miles, someone stopped and gave me a ride to town. I had already hiked a full day, there were storms in the area, and it would have really sucked to walk all the way into town. Hiking makes you appreciate small acts of kindness. BTW, I almost always offer to give gas money to anyone who gives me a ride. Not once has anyone accepted my money. Now that's trail magic to me.

My best trail magic story. I was hiking the north end of the 100 MW in Maine one summer. I met some south bounders who mentioned that the guy hiking with them had walked off the trail and left his pack and contents for anyone who wanted it. By the time I go there the only thing left was a jumbo MSR fuel bottle full of fuel. I was about a day and a half out of Abol bridge so I threw it in my pack to give it to the local scouts I worked with. When I got to Hurd Brook Shelter there was a very bummed SOBO that had his entire pack torn apart and everything was hung out to dry. I got close and could smell Coleman fuel. His oddball fuel bottle was upside down in his pack and it had leaked out the contents. He did not know what to do as he needed the fuel to head south the Monson. I took off my pack, set it down pulled out the full fuel bottle and handed it to him with a smile. I think I made his week.

The funny thing was I offered to take the other bottle out with me but he looked at me and insisted he had paid a lot of money for it, so he was going to carry it to Monson and send it home. His pack looked a little big to me and I wonder if he and the bottle made it to Monson.

I've been section hiking the AT since 2007. I've made it to Catawba, Virginia, thus far. Over 14 years and 700 miles, I've only had trail magic twice, and both are nothing like what's described here. One instances of some nice fresh veggies in a bag hanging on a tree on the trail. The second consisted of a candy bar, bag of chips, and an orange. Both appreciated. But that's it. The reason? I've done 90% of my hiking from late summer to early autumn. There's not much trail magic out there in the South that time of year. I'd love to bump into somebody grilling burgers or handing out cold bottles of IBC root beer. One of these days. In July, trail feeds would be trail magic provided by trail angels.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++