WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 3-day rec's for Harper's Ferry area?

I didn't know which forum to put this in, I figured the most exposure would be here in General...

Me & several friends have been knocking off sections of the AT two weekends a year, and I think we want to "get out of Dodge (NJ/NY/PA) this time. I was thinking of a 3-day trip around Harper's Ferry. Supposed to be a cool/scenic area, lots of history. Starting, ending, passing thru, Harper's Ferry, whatever. Don't know anything about the area. Can anybody recommend a nice 3-day stretch of the AT there? And anything else cool in the area? (cool restaraunts/good beer, etc)? We average 8 miles/day in mountainous terrain, about 12/day in hilly terrain.

Oh- and is there a specific book on THAT AREA of the AT to get? I'm always the trip planner, so I end up buying the guidebooks & maps...

Thanks all!

Whoops- should have mentioned we'll be tenting it, if that makes any difference.

Can't say much about the actual trip itself, but as for Guidebooks that area of the AT is maintained by the PATC. You can find their Guidebooks here: http://www.patc.net/store/guide.htm

Guidebook 6 details the area in question. There's a book + maps pack there that should cover you.

hey I just did a three day ending in Harpers Ferry last weekend. I started about 30 miles north where wolfsville rd. crosses over.did 8m the first day and stayed in the Pine Knob shelter but there is plenty of campsites there as well. the first day passed three beautiful views including annapolis rock and black rock cliffs. 2nd day was a little tougher did 13 m to crampton gap shelter arrived early but the shelter was full and all good tent sites were taken by boy scouts. it was a fairly easy day but from the north approach lambs knoll is a long 2m ascent. 3rd day did 10 m to harpers ferry with three miles being on the c&o canal ( very easy & kind of boring) there was a beautiful view of the potomac river from weverton cliff. overall it was a fairly easy section with a lot of pretty views and alot of history as well(civil war battlefields and the first george washington monument).
    Ihad brought along patc maps 5&6 and also the guide book that includes NVA & WV & MD. picked it up at a local library!
    Am going to do a 2 day south of harpers ferry next weekend. 19m ending at snickers gap ( rt 7) will let you know how it goes.

Thanks, ptfo! Great info. Definitely let me know how the next one goes!

Images

Default Harper's Ferry is a great place to visit and hike

Harper's Ferry is one of my favorite towns anywhere. I must admit I have a thing for old, historic towns. I have lived in Plymouth, MA and St. Augustine, FL. Harper's Ferry will be next. I have hiked a little bit of the trail south of HF to the David Lesser Shelter. It was my first solo overnight and it was great. Great shelter, great trail, not quite so great H2O source (muddy trickle 1/4 mile downhill). Lots of wildlife: deer, snakes, birds, a strange naked man.... To this day one of my favorite views on the AT is the town of HF and the Shenandoah river as you are descending from Louden Heights. A couple years later I visited the town as a tourist and did a short dayhike on the AT along the C&O canal and through the town proper to the bridge over the Shenandoah. The stone stairs carved into the bedrock are very cool, as is Jefferson Rock and the old cemetary next to it. The ATC is always worth a visit! I had a good microbrewed I.P.A. in a tavern in the lower historic part of town. I think it was called The Secret Six? I'll be back in Harper's Ferry next month. Stopping by the town on my way home from Traildays. Hope you have a good trip!

ELi-
    If Wolfville Rd. southbound isn't quite enough, consider starting at PenMar Park and doing all of Maryland--just over 40 miles, with numerous camping sites and multiple shelters to choose from for each day's hike. In general, the hiking is not strenuous, but there is some variety to it with some interesting rocks and views, plus historical markers.

Northbound into HF, Ashby Gap (US 50) is about 35 miles distant. The section north of Ashby Gap is the (in)famous Rollercoaster. Not the easiest stretch of miles for weekenders, but you'd definitely have a sense of accomplishment for your three days.

Or, you could consider something like Gathland State Park in Maryland, about ten miles north of HF, to Blackburn Trail Center, a little more than ten miles south of HF, with plenty of time to spend in the historic district of Harper's Ferry and maybe a side trip to the postcard view from Weverton Cliffs.

Wow. All great info guys. Much appreciated! I'll definitely get the book/mapset and do some looking at all the routes you've suggested. It sounds like a really cool area of the AT (I had a suspicion, since the museum is there, it's the halfway point, etc), but glad to hear others confirm it's a cool area. Our last AT was the northern section of PA- NOT good. Alot of rocks & alot of sore muscles, with not much payoff- no cool towns, not many cool vistas, just a deathmarch thru the rockgraden from hell. Now I know why the say PA is where rocks go to die!

Eli, here's another option: rafting or canoeing on the Potomac. Right by HF is an outfitter who's been in business for decades: River & Trails Outfitters. Check them out at http://www.rivertrail.com/home.html

HF is one of my favorite places and happens to be the point where the AT is closest to my home. I never get tired of going there in all 4 seasons. Have a good time!

Wow. Lots of great info from everybody! Thanks a million. I'll just order the PATC guidebook & mapset, and should have no problems planning a cool trip with all your suggestions! Sounds like a really cool section of the AT.

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

I hiked from Crampton Gap to Rocky Run Shelter on Saturday and back. ..Rocky run shelter was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1940 and is a really sturdy looking building. It's a great campsite all around. Oh, and while I was sitting in the privvy a Warbler landed at my feet and gave me the eye.
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

Images

The approx. 20 miles south between Harpers Ferry and Snickers Gap/RT7 is one of my favorite overnight trips. David Lesser shelter is great except for it only having a small spring 1/4 mile downhill. I've stretched it out to 2.5 days of hiking by camping at Crescent Rock, WV 3-4 miles north of Snickers Gap; great place to make a fire on the rock and watch the sun set.

++ New Posts ++