WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Multi parking

Journal Entries

Default Multi parking

I posted earlier that in late June I already have arrangements to fly to the region, rent a car to get to the Whites and then do the presidential traverse over a few days from the north staying in huts. The night before I start the hike I have reserved to stay at Joe Dodge Lodge and plan to ride the amc bus first thing in the morning to Appalachia to start the hike and my last night I have scheduled to stay at Shapleigh bunkhouse.

I would prefer to park my car near the Highlands Center and catch a bus to Joe Dodge Lodge and hike back to my car and read of the main parking lot in that area being the one for Crawford Path but I wonder how early on a Sunday morning in late June will I need to be in that lot to easily get a parking place and later catch the amc bus to Joe Dodge.

I am now planning on arriving one day earlier camping in the Layfette campground on a Friday and early the next morning doing the Franconia Ridge loop while I am in the area. From what I read those trails will most likely be packed for the weekend but I will have to accept that.

Because this is my first time to the area I would prefer to camp in a different location each night but would need to park my car somewhat in the Layfette area while hiking that day and then drive to wherever that afternoon with plans to very early the next morning drive to park near Highland Center to a lot to store my car for a few days.

I get the impression that parking must be done as early in the morning as possible because of just so many people in the area. I just wondered if anyone had any parking advise or tips. I had thought of driving some in the area and into Maine for the heck of it but it looks like getting a parking space may prevent a scenic drive.

Parking at the two Lafayette Place (one northbound one southbound on the parkway is problematical and the state of NH has proposed a change in the way parking will be managed but the details are still unclear. Add in that you are camping at the Lafayette campsites, its even more confusing. The good news is every campsite at the campground has a parking space. So you are set the night you camp, my guess is the state will want you cleared out in the AM so you cannot park at your site all day. If as you say you are getting up early (highly recomended !) then it is likely that there will be a parking space in one of the two Lafayette place lots early in the AM. The current proposal is that you will need to buy a state specific day parking pass (currently proposed $12) to move your car from the campground to the parking lot. It most likely will be a self pay system where you fill out an envelope, tear off a receipt and then deposit the money in the envelope and put the receipt on the dash. A national parks pass will not work as this is state specific program. I am 62 and prior to my ankle break consistently did the loop in 8 hours. I do not take long breaks. One hint is if you go up Old Bridal Path, no need to bring a lot of water as you can fill up at Greenleaf Hut along the way. I like this clockwise direction as the waterfalls are best appreciated in the afternoon after a hot day. If you go counterclockwise,it is really easy to blow by them in the AM as they are in the shadows and most folks are in rush to get up on the ridge. Clockwise its "icing on the cake" at the end of the day and if you want to get wet, its not that far of a walk to the car. Whatever way you go it is easy to not carry enough water as the ridge and much of the approach to the ridge from the hut has zero shade. The summit also tends to cloud up afternoon so best to be up there early. Clockwise you will be walking into the sun so bring sunglasses and sunblock.

Dont stress on parking in the Highland center area. There are 4 distinct lots (take a look on google earth). One requires a parking pass, (off Mt Clinton road technically the Crawford Connector trailhead), the Highland center lot requires that you are staying with the AMC (seems to be loose requirements), the lot south of the Highland center at the railroad depot (Mt Willard trailhead) is first come first served and the one to the south along the road just ahead of the actual notch at the Jackson Webster trailhead is first come first served. The shoulders are wide and as long as you off the pavement folks park on the dirt between the depot and the south lot. Its busy during the day 8 to 4 in the area with dayhikers. The key is if things are real busy, if you need to park on RT 302 make sure you are on the dirt and not in the breakdown lane.

With respect to the night after your Lafayette hike and before you drop off you car at the Highland center, there are the two developed Sugarloaf campgrounds off the Zealand road FR 16 https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/whit...a/?recid=74731 plus one at the beginning of Zealand Road (very noisy with truck traffic all night). There are also primitive free sites (that fill up on weekends) off the Cherry Mountain Road (FR 14), the Gale River loop road FR 25 and the North Twin road FR 304 . These have zero facilities, no outhouses, no running water but there are streams and rivers nearby that the road crosses, basically a parking space and a flat spot. Jefferson Notch road north of the Caps Ridge Trailhead has many bootleg car camp sites that are not legal but as of the last few years the FS seems to have given up on enforcing.

Journal Entries

I had already sent an email to the state regarding parking after spending one night at the campground and received a reply that there is hiker parking right outside the gates to the campground and I could walk the tunnel under the highway to the falling waters trailhead. I was also told depending on how busy the campground is I could work something out with the campground staff.

I will have to check out google earth for this. I have not used that for quite a while and commonly rely on a view from a driver from google maps for lots of info. I will read about the other camping areas you mention and may just settle on two nights for the Layfette campground to simplify things.

The google maps aerial view is the same as google maps (at least for me). Yup paying for an extra night at Lafayette place is definitely a lot easier. Bring your earplugs, there is traffic on the parkway 24/7. its just under an hour from Lafayette Place to Crawford notch if you park on the campground side of the parkway. About 10 minutes less if you park on the northbound side. If you want to stop at a general store (snacks and drinks no resupply), there is one right on the way just before the Bretton Woods Ski area. If you want resupply, the closest grocery store is in Lincoln south of the campground at the Lincoln/Woodstock Exit 32, go west on RT 112 and there is a grocery store in a shopping center about a mile up the strip on the right. You would need to go after the hike as they probably will not be open early enough in the AM.

Journal Entries

I have been planning my late June visit to the Whites since late January and believe I have everything already planned and paid for except what would be the best option to park my car near the AMC Highland Center which is where I will be ending my hike and spending my last night in the Shapleigh bunkhouse. I know I cannot park at the Highland Center until my night at the bunkhouse and from everything I read I get the impression the best lot for multiple days would be the Crawford Connector trailhead. Is that where I could purchase before arriving and use the National Forest parking pass or pay when I arrived. I guess that lot fills early and I would be parking there on a Sunday morning to then ride the Shuttle I have reserved for 1:25 to take me to the Joe Dodge Lodge.

Would it be an advantage to just purchase the annual national forest parking pass now and arrive early to easily get a spot. Will that lot be very busy on a Sunday morning in late June. The previous night I actually have a campsite reserved at both Lafayette Place and Sugarloaf 2 and will decide which one to use based on how my day went exploring and hiking the Franconia Ridge area.

Finding a place to buy a pass locally could be a PITA if you are in rush. As noted previously there are two free lots near the Highland center, probably closer than the Crawford Connector lot (which requires a WMNF or national pass). So if you really want to park in the Crawford connector lot buying a pass in advance would be the best option. The Crawford Connector lot has the least visibility of all the lots from a car break in perspective. THe other lots are all along the main highway and very visible https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/white...telprdb5297292

Journal Entries

Parking at the Mt Willard lot may be good for me because I was looking to do that hike also because the view looks great. By the way I also thought of driving The Kancamagus Highway but wonder if it would be worth it for me or just designed more for a city person getting a view of the country without the need for a hike. I prefer off the beaten path away from crowds. I watched a you tube video of the drive and unless it was fall leave colors the drive does not look that interesting.

There are plenty of scenic drives in the whites. They tend to be in valleys looking up. Then Kanc starts in valley but then runs up over pass between two drainages with some nice views at a higher elevation. It is quite popular but the views from the ridgeline on the AT really are far better.

++ New Posts ++