WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question RV campsites nearest to the trail

I will be hiking the trail and meeting my husband every 5-7 days in our RV. Easiest way to find rv campsites nearest to the trail? It is a 35' so no dirt roads. Thank you

You won’t find many sites within walking distance of the trail, so you’ll have to figure some way to get to the RV from the trail. If you have a motorhome, and a TOAD, that problem is solved, or if your RV is a trailer you can use the tow vehicle.
    If you have an iPad (doesn’t work on Android tablets) the best map based app I have found for finding RV campgrounds is the Allstays Camp & RV app. Campgrounds are shown on the interactive map, and you can touch on one and pull up information about the campground, including web links, photos, etc.. Unfortunately the AT is not shown on the map. A good map of the AT, combined with the Allstays app might work.
    Last edited by gpburdelljr; 02-21-2022 at 14:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Maniacjoyce View Post
    I will be hiking the trail and meeting my husband every 5-7 days in our RV. Easiest way to find rv campsites nearest to the trail? It is a 35' so no dirt roads. Thank you
    PM inbound
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

We've found this book to be helpful. https://smile.amazon.com/Exploring-A...s%2C115&sr=8-2

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb Where to start

Here's an online way to find places for your RV, based on location, quality, and amenities:
    https://www.goodsam.com/campgrounds-rv-parks/

Good luck finding campgrounds in the Northeast that have slots for overnight guests, most have gone to seasonal or one to two week minimums. The White Mountain National Forests has transient sites in some of their campgrounds but they are reserved in advance and very few campgrounds have any amenities like hookups. The local Walmart lot in Gorham NH gets a lot of traffic from folks who couldnt find a campground especially on weekends.

Study an app like Guthook to see where the trail intersects roadways and go from there?

no dirt roads.
    Find a smaller RV.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

There's a really nice Koa campgrounds right up the street from harpers ferry not even a 1/2 mile. You could use that for MD, WV and some of Virginia.

Just realized I never contributed to the thread here even though I PM'ed the OP.

Myself and #TheOtherHalf are actually on a "scouting trip" this summer to figure out the logistics of him supporting me from our skoolie for a thru hike. Well, our scouting trip also includes visits to family and friends as well along the east coast so I am not attempting a thru this year. We have a month in GA and a month booked in VA. Then we deviate "away from" the trail for about 6 weeks to visit family in DE. After that our plans are unmade as we have about 10 more weeks before we head back to TX for the winter so we haven't figured out how far north we will get. We have family and friends all over NH, MA, ME.

The goals for us include keeping costs down, minimizing number of times moving the skoolie, and keeping within a "decent distance" of the trail for easier drop off and pickups on the weekends.

With RV campgrounds filling up so quickly the last few years it's best to make reservations as early as possible.
    keeping costs down means looking for places where #TheOtherHalf can stay for a month at a time as RV parks offer the best rates that way. This also minimizes the number of moves we have to make, which need to be done as a team as our "toad" is not towed but driven separately.

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

What kind of RV? Travel trailer, coach, 5th wheel?
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by One Half View Post
    Just realized I never contributed to the thread here even though I PM'ed the OP.

Myself and #TheOtherHalf are actually on a "scouting trip" this summer to figure out the logistics of him supporting me from our skoolie for a thru hike. Well, our scouting trip also includes visits to family and friends as well along the east coast so I am not attempting a thru this year. We have a month in GA and a month booked in VA. Then we deviate "away from" the trail for about 6 weeks to visit family in DE. After that our plans are unmade as we have about 10 more weeks before we head back to TX for the winter so we haven't figured out how far north we will get. We have family and friends all over NH, MA, ME.

The goals for us include keeping costs down, minimizing number of times moving the skoolie, and keeping within a "decent distance" of the trail for easier drop off and pickups on the weekends.

With RV campgrounds filling up so quickly the last few years it's best to make reservations as early as possible.
    keeping costs down means looking for places where #TheOtherHalf can stay for a month at a time as RV parks offer the best rates that way. This also minimizes the number of moves we have to make, which need to be done as a team as our "toad" is not towed but driven separately.
    How big is your bus? They are reasonably maneuverable from what I have seen from some school bus drivers. I am wondering how well they compare to other types of RVs.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    How big is your bus? They are reasonably maneuverable from what I have seen from some school bus drivers. I am wondering how well they compare to other types of RVs.
    our bus is 35' long. it "handles well" but it IS 35' long. It's similar to a class A. Ours is a flat nose, diesel rear engine. So much like a class A except it won't break into a bundle of kindling if it were to be in an accident.

Quote Originally Posted by One Half View Post
    our bus is 35' long. it "handles well" but it IS 35' long. It's similar to a class A. Ours is a flat nose, diesel rear engine. So much like a class A except it won't break into a bundle of kindling if it were to be in an accident.
    Like a big VW in some respects. I've never driven a big school bus, just VW's and the shortie size in the woods (15 passenger, just under I think class C). I've been on a school bus a good number of times in the woods, it does take a decent amount of room to turn around!
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Like a big VW in some respects. I've never driven a big school bus, just VW's and the shortie size in the woods (15 passenger, just under I think class C). I've been on a school bus a good number of times in the woods, it does take a decent amount of room to turn around!
    yes. and we raised the roof 15" and added racks and solar so our overall height is just under 12' now. not as tall as many class A's but as tall as some.

I think the other folks who've responded have covered your question way better than I could. But I just wanted to say that you and your husband have the right idea on doing the trail! RV support with a loved one would just be amazing. It's been my dream to have my family follow me along the PCT one day in an RV. The AT makes it so much easier because you could meet your husband at a road crossing every single day if you wanted to. Best of luck!
    It is what it is.

++ New Posts ++