WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Pennsylvania and New Jersey

I'm resuming my NOBO thru-hike on May 1, starting at Wind Gap, PA. When I quit (blood clots in leg) I was in the the middle of knife-edge rock hell. How far do these awful rocks go? I already knew about "Rocksylvania," but another hiker told me the badass rocks extend to about High Point State Park in New Jersey. Thanks for any info.

Wilderness is where things work the way they're supposed to work - Walkin' Jim Stoltz

Images

Yeah, the southern half of NJ up to about High Point Shelter is about the same as the northern 2/3 of PA in terms of rocks. Once you cross the Delaware River, you continue along the same ridgeline for another 40 miles. If it's any consolation, NJ has better views than PA.

My recollection is the worst of them is from Wind Gap to Wolf Rocks, the section you are about to do. After Kirkridge shelter as you hike over to Mt. Minsi and descend into Delaware Water Gap I think they get better and I actually enjoy that section. While there are some sections of little pointy rocks in the first half of NJ up toward High Point, I don't think they are nearly as bad or as sustained as the northern section of PA. I've found most people are pleasantly surprised by the NJ portion of the AT. After you hike it report back with your opinion, good luck!
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

It's a little rocky climbing back out of the water gap on the NJ side, but once on the ridge it's pretty mellow. Nothing like the rock hell heading towards the DWG from wind gap.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thanks all. Yes, I heard that Wolf Rocks section is rough, and things gradually improve in Jersey. Good to know what I’m up against after a 9-month layoff.

Journal Entries

i love the section between High Point to Warwick turnpike but after that it gets tough for a time on the ridge near Greenwood Lake.

The worst rocks on the trail are along Canopus Lake in NY. Ugh

++ New Posts ++