WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Suggestions please, summer hiking

As some of you may know we live full time in a converted school bus. This winter we are in Fl because we had planned to do an east coast/AT "scouting" trip. We are committed to being in Hiawassee for April, Damascus for May, DE (for family) mid June to mid July. We were going to continue to NH/ME but fuel prices are about double what they were last year at this time. We are going back to TX for the winter to take care of some personal business from November to ??? Although, we could change that I suppose. But that's not likely.

Anywhere that we need a reserved spot for the bus (vs boondocking), we need to make plans as soon as possible. So I am looking for suggestions. I was thinking about spending some time in PA, possibly along the AT or maybe in other mountains? We could also spend some time in VA or anywhere else. So where and when would you suggest we spend our time? FYI, we usually spend about 3-4 hours per day driving when we travel as it can be tiring which means we move only about 300 miles on a weekend. From Palmerton, PA that means we would need about 5 weekends for traveling back to our first stop in TX where we want to be around the beginning of November though that is flexible.

My other thoughts on this trip this summer was that I would hike trails that are NOT the AT as I kind of want to save those miles for an eventual thru attempt. So suggestions do NOT have to be AT related.

Thanks.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Journal Entries

It seems like you could just about hike every day for the rest of your life without exhausting all the trails in East TN SW VA and WNC. Some of the highlights are (in no particular order) Grayson Highlands, Roan Mtn, Mt Mitchell, Grandfather Mtn, Graybeard Mtn, Mt Cammerer, Mt Sterling, Big South Fork ...

Not so sure about getting a school bus to these locations.

The Shenandoah National Park, the cranberry wilderness and Dollysods wilderness areas are nice.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    It seems like you could just about hike every day for the rest of your life without exhausting all the trails in East TN SW VA and WNC. Some of the highlights are (in no particular order) Grayson Highlands, Roan Mtn, Mt Mitchell, Grandfather Mtn, Graybeard Mtn, Mt Cammerer, Mt Sterling, Big South Fork ...

Not so sure about getting a school bus to these locations.
    We have a van for getting places. We will park the bus, usually for a month at a time, and use the van to get to and from trails.

Thanks for the suggestions.

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

I wish I was 51 again to be able to do that.

Next Spring or Summer:
    The Continental Divide. Anywhere north of Santa Fe, NM to Jasper National Park or Mount Robson Provincial Park is stunning.
    Avoid the Denver Metro are at rush hour! 👍
    You’ll never be closer. We moved from north of Tyler to NW North Carolina. Last summer I drove to Yellowstone and the Tetons. I really noticed the extra 1,000-1,200 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Next Spring or Summer:
    The Continental Divide. Anywhere north of Santa Fe, NM to Jasper National Park or Mount Robson Provincial Park is stunning.
    Avoid the Denver Metro are at rush hour!
    You’ll never be closer. We moved from north of Tyler to NW North Carolina. Last summer I drove to Yellowstone and the Tetons. I really noticed the extra 1,000-1,200 miles.
    Yep. Next year will more than likely be a CO, UT, WY, NM year. Maybe. Who knows really. But we have Texas as our home base and will be looking for a property to put in a "winter landing pad" for ourselves when we return this fall.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Good luck!
    Wayne

++ New Posts ++