WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    Yeah, for making heavy weight stoves….
    "Cat stoves" !

If it makes you feel safer, go for it! However, I don't think making it more visible will deter any thief. They cut it off with a sawzall and throw it in a vehicle and haul the mail. They can then dip it in solvent to remove any paint that might have been sprayed. As far as engraving any numbers, who is going to crawl around on their belly trying to find an engraved number on a catalytic converter? Maybe I'm jaded because I grew up in East Tennessee and the vehicle "chop" shop industry was so prevalent, but I don't think you are going to deter a thief with a little spray paint.

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    I should have been clear regarding my intent with my original post.

Catalytic converter theft has been a problem at trailheads as well as elsewhere. When I hiked the AT in the GSMNP last November I was warned of catalytic converter theft so paid for private parking. I even read that a trailhead in southwest Florida (I live in Florida) was hit a couple weeks ago.

I decided to go the PDF route as it might make a long, unwieldy post.

With this in mind I thought this a hiking related project. If the mods disagree they can delete this thread. It’s not a big deal to me.
    It's fine.

Just a reminder, for other topics a user may feel are off-topic to the forum.

15. If a user believes a violation of WhiteBlaze Rules has occurred, they should advise a Moderator or Administrator by a Private Message (“PM”) with a link, if possible, to the post in question. If it is a post you want to refer to them please click on the report post icon in the post in question.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

the best anti theft device is a shield that covers the cat conv and is bolted to the car frame. its way too much trouble for the thieves.

painting and engraving is a waste of time. the thieves are cutting them open for the valuable metals inside.

btw it takes 5 minutes to get it out using a cordless sawzall and a racing jack to lift the car so the thief can get under. but they love suvs because they have lots of ground clearance and dont need jacking.

Many of the shields are easy to cut also. Slows down the criminal and you can hope they move to an easy target.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    Many of the shields are easy to cut also. Slows down the criminal and you can hope they move to an easy target.
    Why don't they use tungsten, titanium or carbide steels for shields?

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Why don't they use tungsten, titanium or carbide steels for shields?
    If these types of steel were used it would take a diamond tip Sawzall blades to cut and if you're stealing then you can't afford diamonds lol. They could also shape the shield in such a way making it incredibly difficult to cut out.

Images

That would make so appealing that they would steal the entire vehicle

Yeah well gas at 4,5 dollars a gallon I'm surprised this isn't a problem as well. You take a truck with dual tanks and you have several hundred dollars worth fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    Yeah, for making heavy weight stoves….
    Zelphs homemade platinum stoves

Images

I'm trying to go out of business, don't give me new ideas

Hope it helps,but in reality your average Meth head does not care what color it is. As far as the cop in the scrap yard,unless it is a very rural area,they are too busy with worse crimes ,sadly. In my day job I visit a couple salvage yards,and one has been broken into twice and had their legally purchased converters stolen. They only purchase from car dealers and auto repair shops,but many will but them from anybody. Painting sounds cool,but your best defense is probably a good insurance policy that covers theft.

Ok, a paint that drys to complete hardness of steel? Why not?
    I bet it already exists.

And yes a meth head will take your head for a another hit

here in NYC they arent stealing the converters for the converters... they are cashing in on the metals inside that is worth far more than the converter.

So paint away... weld the dam things in, engrave them and even those protector shields cant stop these guys. They use cordless sawzalls n get them out in less than a minute, usually at 3am while you are dreaming of sugar plums. They love SUVs because they dont have to jack them up.

Wana stop them?... sleep in your car!

Quote Originally Posted by camper10469 View Post

Wana stop them?... sleep in your car!

i´ld sleep under my car if i was really worried.
    happy trails
    lucky luke

Last edited by perrymk; 08-11-2022 at 11:49.

hahahahha its getting much worse now in NYC. They dont even jack m up anymore. They hit my neighbor's pickup truck n got 2 converters in less than 5 minutes. We heard a loud car radio blasting at 4am up the block, and then the sound of a saw. the truck was parked under a street lamp besides. The avenue is a main route linking several hospitals n a busy shopping area so its not desolate. We realized what was going on when my wife saw the flashlight under the truck n called 911.

I spoke to the owner the next day... he said he was watching them from his bedroom window as he was on the phone with the cops. The thieves were gone long before the cops got there.. the cop shop is 1/4 mile down the avenue. because the owner hit the panic alarm on the key fob, they scramed without taking the tools... but did get way with the converters. seems pick up trucks have 2 converters? cost him an arm n a leg to replace.

When the cops finally got there, 3 cars with sirens n lights as if they hurried over, one car took off to chase them but never aught them. the getaway car was GONE! we could hear the loud muffler boom booms for at least 5 minutes after they beat it out of here. 4am is very quiet here. Just by sound I can tell you exactly where the car was heading.

these thieves are very braisen now. 6 hits here this summer.

So far we noticed low cars arent being hit. So if you have a tall boy... park over a pile of something so it just clears the underside of the car.... or flatten your tires.

Quote Originally Posted by camper10469 View Post
    hahahahha its getting much worse now in NYC. They dont even jack m up anymore. They hit my neighbor's pickup truck n got 2 converters in less than 5 minutes. We heard a loud car radio blasting at 4am up the block, and then the sound of a saw. the truck was parked under a street lamp besides. The avenue is a main route linking several hospitals n a busy shopping area so its not desolate. We realized what was going on when my wife saw the flashlight under the truck n called 911.
    My police officer nephew and his partner arrested two thieves in Westchester within the past month or two. I saw the surveillance video from someone's house and it was pretty brazen.

they make "covers" that you can have installed over your cat to prevent theft. we recently bought a new Tacoma and added this.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++