WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Any 2022 thru-hikers in their 30s?

Hello fellow hikers,

I certainly anticipate meeting a wide range of great people, which is one of my many reasons for choosing the AT. While doing research, I continue to hear that the majority of thru-hikers tend to be those in their 20s and 50s+.

Curious to hear if there are any NOBO thru-hikers somewhere in between that age range setting out this year?

No not in my 30's my birthday is tomorrow and I will be 72 and doing my last and fourth thru-hike starting March 28 2022.
    ezdoesit
    EZ-DOES-IT

Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by jes_ View Post
    Hello fellow hikers,

I certainly anticipate meeting a wide range of great people, which is one of my many reasons for choosing the AT. While doing research, I continue to hear that the majority of thru-hikers tend to be those in their 20s and 50s+.

Curious to hear if there are any NOBO thru-hikers somewhere in between that age range setting out this year?
    I'm sure there will be.
    The reasons many people do NOT thru in their 30s are usually financial and commitment related. 20's tend to be those just out of college or those just trying to figure stuff out and haven't yet taken on a bunch of commitments. 50+ tend to be empty nesters (at least to some degree) and financially able to take a long walk. Maybe they retired early or made good investments etc. Or perhaps they did 20/30 years of government service and have maxed out their retirement or hit mandatory retirement age (gov employees, cops, etc). I don't think the 50+ is a big crowd until you reach the full retirement age group. Then of course it will increase in size.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Amazing! Happy Birthday and happy hiking!

Quote Originally Posted by ezdoesit View Post
    No not in my 30's my birthday is tomorrow and I will be 72 and doing my last and fourth thru-hike starting March 28 2022.
    ezdoesit
    Amazing! Happy Birthday and happy hiking!

Quote Originally Posted by One Half View Post
    I'm sure there will be.
    The reasons many people do NOT thru in their 30s are usually financial and commitment related. 20's tend to be those just out of college or those just trying to figure stuff out and haven't yet taken on a bunch of commitments. 50+ tend to be empty nesters (at least to some degree) and financially able to take a long walk. Maybe they retired early or made good investments etc. Or perhaps they did 20/30 years of government service and have maxed out their retirement or hit mandatory retirement age (gov employees, cops, etc). I don't think the 50+ is a big crowd until you reach the full retirement age group. Then of course it will increase in size.
    Absolutely. For this very reason, I posted this seeking confirmation that I may cross paths with other kindred spirits

You will not lack for kindred spirits, who might be any age. Don't limit yourself by age, sex, race, or any other category, and your experience on the trail will be a lot more interesting. Speaking from experience here.

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    You will not lack for kindred spirits, who might be any age. Don't limit yourself by age, sex, race, or any other category, and your experience on the trail will be a lot more interesting. Speaking from experience here.
    Yep. I’m in the 50+ group, but two of my best trail buds were in their 20’s. The trail erases a lot of other aspects of your identity. For the good, for awhile.

thank you very much
    EZ-DOES-IT

Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

Images

Probably not many. Most of us have full-time jobs, kids, mortgages, etc.
    It's all good in the woods.

From the ATC website:
    ”….Hikers of a wide range of ages have completed the A.T. While about half of all thru-hikers are in their 20s, many people in their 30s, 40s, and 50s have thru-hiked the A.T. About 750 people in their 60s have completed thru-hikes, but only about 50 people age 70 and above have completed thru-hikes. Two people in their 80s have completed a thru-hike; the oldest was 82. Teens comprise about four percent of thru-hikers; a very small number of children have completed the A.T. with their parents. Section-hikers tend to be older, with a median age of 40. Their ages at the time of their hike completions have ranged from 15 to 86….”

Here are some demographics, including age distribution, based on a survey of 365 long distance AT hikers in 2019.

https://thetrek.co/appalachian-trail...l-information/

Default 30's here

Hello Jes(?),

I'm 35 and starting on Apr 11 NOBO. I wasn't able to sneak off in my 20's but want to do the AT before buying a house and having a kid. When are you heading out?

- Wesley

Quote Originally Posted by jes_ View Post
    Hello fellow hikers,

Just when I thought this thread had gone silent....Hello Wesley!

I have not pinned down the day yet (yikes - but waiting on a few final gear essentials to arrive) but was hoping for April 8th. Sounds like we will surely cross paths at some point!

Quote Originally Posted by WesleyCBruce View Post
    Hello Jes(?),

I'm 35 and starting on Apr 11 NOBO. I wasn't able to sneak off in my 20's but want to do the AT before buying a house and having a kid. When are you heading out?

- Wesley

++ New Posts ++