WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Canister disposal

How do you dispose of empty or near empty isobutane canisters in the AT? I assume you cannot put them into regular trash.

Use a Jetboil Crunchit to empty the last little bit of gas, and punch holes in the can. Then throw it in the trash.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=caQxXjsqmoo

https://www.rei.com/product/813638/j...recycling-tool

I got a crunchit and it bent the first time I used it. Now I just use a screwdriver or awl and a hammer to poke holes in it and then I put the can (after airing out) in recycling. If you mean while you are hiking on the AT and you buy a new can at an outfitter's store ask if they will recycle it. Otherwise ask a dayhiker or leave in a hiker box. I have also found canisters in shelters but I don't recommend leaving them there as that is just making someone else carry it out.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I had finished my JMT thru hike, and was in a hotel room waiting to fly home the next day. My Jetboil stove performed above expectations and I had a canister that was still about 20% full.
    I took my stove out into the parking lot and simply burned off as much of the fuel as I could. I then found a rock with a sharp point and slammed the canister down on it about 5 times before I managed to puncture the canister with the rock. Then tossed the canister in the dumpster.

When punching holes in a canister, make absolutely sure you have burned off all the gas first. Even if the flame goes out on your burner, leave the valve open until all hissing stops.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    When punching holes in a canister, make absolutely sure you have burned off all the gas first. Even if the flame goes out on your burner, leave the valve open until all hissing stops.
    Solid advice. Just one hole the size of an ice pick is sufficient. Just want to make sure pressure in the container can bleed off before disposing. Like hikermiker said, if on the AT just get local outfitter/hostel to take care of it.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." J.R.R. Tolkien
    -=POSSUM=- Rollin..

Is it raining yet?
    Images

I leave them at established campsites near the bathroom, etc. If there is more fuel, someone can use it. If not, a driver can take to recycle.
    Be Prepared

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    I leave them at established campsites near the bathroom, etc. If there is more fuel, someone can use it. If not, a driver can take to recycle.
    The only time I leave a canister is when I’m flying home. This is almost always in the Sierra Nevada. All the east side towns have motels or shops selling fuel and hiker boxes. I’ve also left canisters with the hotel staff. Everyone knows what they are and people will use even very depleted canisters for car camping, etc.

My friend used to work for a big airline in Boston. When folks with outdoor gear were checking in, they were advised that they could not carry fuel cannisters of any type and fuel bottles that had been used on a plane. The staff at the gate would offer to dispose of the offending items. The staff would just throw them in box in the back. Every so often when I ran into him he would hand me box or two. This was before the current style fuel cannisters were popular. I mostly got the old style Sigg bottles and a lot of the MSR bottles, I handed them out to lots of local scout troops and still had extras. Eventually he stopped working there so the supply dried up. I still have a good assortment kicking around.

++ New Posts ++