WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Lost: Garmin GPS near Shays Rebellion Monument, Egremont, MA, 3/3/2022

Hi all,

I hiked through the snow yesterday (Thursday, March 3, 2022) from Jug End Road to just past the Shays Rebellion Monument to the vistas, where I turned around. Somewhere along the way, I dropped my Garmin GPS. Because I retraced my steps once I discovered I'd lost it all the way back to the vistas and didn't find anything walking either way, I suspect I might have dropped it in a field, and it then got covered by a snowdrift. Anyway, if anyone finds it, I would love to have it back! I am working on a hiking guidebook to the southern Berkshires and would be happy to send you a copy in exchange for the GPS.

Thanks in advance! -- Bill

I wonder if Garmin could find it for you? Were you tracking with it? access the last known track?
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by One Half View Post
    I wonder if Garmin could find it for you? Were you tracking with it? access the last known track?
    Most GPS units don’t have two way communication, and don’t send out location or tracking data to Garmin or anyone else. Only units like the Garmin InReach have GPS mapping and two way satellite communication.

If you don’t find it by June the skeeters will use it to plot even more devastating attacks.

Thanks for the tips! I'm going to hike there again probably today, since it's really warm and some of the snow should be gone.
    -- Bill

To share an experience, on one hike not long ago I too lost my GPS and swore it must've been along the trail even though I could not recall clearly using it after I turned it on. I retraced my steps (twice) to find it with no luck. Turns out after I turned it on and got ready to leave it fell out of the pocket into the crease between the back seat and seat back where it hid out of sight and I didn't find it until spring cleaning opened up everything in the car. I presume you lost it after a known use at some point on the trail, but if not the lesson I took from my experience was to re-check the car at a deeper level. I did not do this and ended up buying a new one before finding the older GPS.

Good tip about checking the car! Turns out I didn't need to do that. We went back to the Shays Rebellion Monument trailhead yesterday, and lo and behold, someone had found it and placed it on the map kiosk! Based on all the squiggles in one area, I was able to see exactly where I dropped it. All is well now.
    Thanks to the anonymous GPS finder and to everyone who responded!
    -- Bill

++ New Posts ++