WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Whatever he did it was enough for two women to end their hikes and that in itself speaks volumes. Most folks going out on the AT know that they are going to have to put up with some stuff they don't agree with but to call it and get a plane ride home because of the actions of 1 person. Not cool.
    And besides even if he went to court and was found guilty nothing is going to happen to him.

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    I thought a picture of the subject hiker might help any hikers on the trail if they should happen to come across him.

Attachment 49138
    How funny would that be if karma stepped in and he tripped and fell and that big yellow shiv, or whatever that's took away his most valued possession!!

And the big belly,big wooden walking sticks, the joint hanging out of his mouth and the what's up with that jacket?

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    And the big belly,big wooden walking sticks, the joint hanging out of his mouth and the what's up with that jacket?
    What does a big belly, jacket, and wood walking sticks have to do with his behavior, and arrest, which is the subject of this thread. Also, how do you know that’s a joint in his mouth.
    Lets stay on topic, please.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    What does a big belly, jacket, and wood walking sticks have to do with his behavior, and arrest, which is the subject of this thread. Also, how do you know that’s a joint in his mouth.
    Oh ok so sorry Mr moderator I'll try to do better

Whatever he did it was enough for two women to end their hikes and that in itself speaks volumes. Most folks going out on the AT know that they are going to have to put up with some stuff they don't agree with but to call it and get a plane ride home because of the actions of 1 person. Not cool.
    And besides even if he went to court and was found guilty nothing is going to happen to him.
    My first post! Let's see how this goes lol...

Per Ramdino there were more than one incidents with different women, with one identified individual. One would surmise that those reports resulted in LEO apprehension. The fact that drugs were found points to behaviors due to drug use. So, yeah, 2+2, not excused, a cause. In a responsible society a person would be jailed, to protect society, after these offenses.

We live in a confused time. An individual using justified force would likely get more grief and legal jeopardy than a pervert exhibiting unlawful behavior. Heck, a perv like that could run for elected office in one party.

I ponder whether the dude committing the antisocial and unlawful behavior was asked to stop. As well did the group collectively exercise protective power of community (ick sounds strange from me)- run the perv off. My idea, that I will carry on my oncoming thru hike, is to encourage groups of citizens to fend off threats and take care of each other. As well, in my mind, using the group for enforcement will alleviate the poison of modern society of going after the 'rescuer' or 'enforcer' against a crime. And the group influence would, perhaps, reduce the use of (justified) force by an individual, or reduce the focus of violence by the perv on one individual.

It remains unlawful to posses or use marijuana on Federal Land.

The appearance of the individual is out of the norm and disorganized. While alone may not be significant, taken into account with other facts is, perhaps, pertinent.

I cannot see that statement as too far off the mark. But your correction of it is cheap and off-target.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mullins View Post

Per Ramdino there were more than one incidents with different women, with one identified individual. One would surmise that those reports resulted in LEO apprehension. The fact that drugs were found points to behaviors due to drug use. So, yeah, 2+2, not excused, a cause. In a responsible society a person would be jailed, to protect society, after these offenses.

We live in a confused time. An individual using justified force would likely get more grief and legal jeopardy than a pervert exhibiting unlawful behavior. Heck, a perv like that could run for elected office in one party.

I ponder whether the dude committing the antisocial and unlawful behavior was asked to stop. As well did the group collectively exercise protective power of community (ick sounds strange from me)- run the perv off. My idea, that I will carry on my oncoming thru hike, is to encourage groups of citizens to fend off threats and take care of each other. As well, in my mind, using the group for enforcement will alleviate the poison of modern society of going after the 'rescuer' or 'enforcer' against a crime. And the group influence would, perhaps, reduce the use of (justified) force by an individual, or reduce the focus of violence by the perv on one individual.
    Drugs or no drugs there's no excuse for this type of behavior, period. And please don't get me started on are elected officials.

If the guy was out there all night freaking this lady out I'm sure she asked him to stop st some point.

And yes people have to stick together in times of trouble. In this case this Is a big individual and may require several people to assist.
    Good luck on your hike and find friends!

It remains unlawful to posses or use marijuana on Federal Land.

The appearance of the individual is out of the norm and disorganized. While alone may not be significant, taken into account with other facts is, perhaps, pertinent.

I cannot see that statement as too far off the mark. But your correction of it is cheap and off-target.
    We don’t know if that is a joint in his mouth in the picture. I don’t think you should call it a joint if you don’t know.
    I’ve seen plenty of pictures of OK hikers with a much worse appearance. Hikers shouldn’t be judged on their appearance, only on their behavior.

We don’t know if that is a joint in his mouth in the picture. I don’t think you should call it a joint if you don’t know.
    I’ve seen plenty of pictures of OK hikers with a much worse appearance. Hikers shouldn’t be judged on their appearance, only on their behavior.
    His "behavior "put him in jail on Marijuana charges duh !

His "behavior "put him in jail on Marijuana charges duh !
    I’m well aware of the few facts we know about his behavior, and arrest for drugs. My original comment was because you were commenting on his appearance, not his behavior, and you assumed, but do not know, that was a joint in his mouth in the picture.

I deplore what I’ve heard about his behavior, but there is no correlation between his appearance and behavior. Like I said before, you can find lots of pictures of hikers with worse appearance that are perfectly nice, well behaved, people.

Not a great start. In my signature is a link to the user agreement. Please read it over and also be aware politics is off limits. Vigilantism, also off limits.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I deplore what I’ve heard about his behavior, but there is no correlation between his appearance and behavior. Like I said before, you can find lots of pictures of hikers with worse appearance that are perfectly nice, well behaved, people.
    You seem to confuse between correlation and causation. There's actually a correlation between appearance and behavior although, one may argue, a weak one. What cannot be said is that there's a causation between appearance and behavior, meaning that a specific appearance will cause a specific behavior. When I see someone dressed like the hero of the day, I stay away. And yes, the yellow thing on his belt, whatever it may be, makes me nervous.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    I thought a picture of the subject hiker might help any hikers on the trail if they should happen to come across him.

Attachment 49138
    Is that a shiv dangling from his wastebelt?
    Be Prepared

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    Maybe a trowel, with paracord on the handle.

Maybe a trowel, with paracord on the handle.
    Looks like a snow stake wrapped in p-cord, which is in line with your observation.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    It's a trowel. Can't remember the brand but it's a trowel. I thought it was a shiv too but someone showed me the website you can buy them from.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    The video I have seen, and reports of him masturbating outside women's’ tents, multiple reports of inappropriately touching people, surely shouldn’t be dismissed. This is more than an odd misunderstood duck. The police should’ve evaluated him a little more closely before turning him back out to society.
    Maineiac64, JNI64

Do either of you have proof of him masturbating outside women's tent or inappropriately touching someone? I'm not saying it did or did not happen. I think we can all agree it should never happen. Unless the police have proof of something occurring, they cannot do anything about it. It should also be said sometimes, the rumor mill can stretch what actually occurred with what has been passed down from one hiker to the next to the next and so on.

He was arrested on drug charges only. There is also a video taken by a woman that shows an uncomfortable interaction with another hiker. An uncomfortable interaction and a criminal action are not the same. The video does not show him doing anything criminal wrong for the police to take action. If the woman came forward and willing to testify against her assailant, law enforcement might be able to take action. I'm not sure if a criminal case could be made against someone opening up a persons tent. I've had several very rude hikers over the years come over and open up my tent/tarp without permission too (for different reasons I'm sure). It is not cool but I don't know if it is criminal.

As it has been pointed out, it is often very difficult for the victim to return to the scene of the incident. Years ago, there was talk of helping victims on the trail with transportation and other legislation to help get these creeps off the trail. I'm not sure what happens with it, but it may be a topic the hiking community might want to revisit.

I've had several very rude hikers over the years come over and open up my tent/tarp without permission too (for different reasons I'm sure). It is not cool but I don't know if it is criminal.”

???

I would regard that the same way as someone walking in the front door of my home. I’ve never heard of that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I've had several very rude hikers over the years come over and open up my tent/tarp without permission too (for different reasons I'm sure). It is not cool but I don't know if it is criminal.”

???

I would regard that the same way as someone walking in the front door of my home. I’ve never heard of that happening.
    If someone walk in your front door, there are legal documents that show you own/rent the property that someone illegally entered without permission. You have a legal right to decide who enters your home and who is not welcome. The person can be legally charged with trespassing, breaking and entering and maybe some additional charges. When someone is camping on the AT, there is no legal document that says you have any more right to the camping area than the person who is wrongfully entering someone else tent. I'm not suggesting it is right, but I'm not sure if it is "illegally". I have never heard of anyone who has been criminally charged for opening another hiker's tent.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++