WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Comment on McAfee Knob/'Triple Crown' Planning

The National Park Service, RATC and other partners are conducting a use study for McAfee and other sites along the "Triple Crown" section of the AT.
    More info, and a chance to comment can be found here: https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories...1f199e59b747fc.

As many of you may know, McAfee and other sites on this section of Trail have seen a significant increase in use that started even before the "lockdowns" in 2020. On busy days, the viewpoints are thronged with visitors; and many are unprepared for the hike, or have any understanding of appropriate backcountry conduct. Rather than just shutting down access, the Park Service and local partners have engaged in a planning effort that will hopefully result in preserving these iconic locations while supporting access for visitors--both day visitors and backpackers.

Check out the site for an excellent overview (as it were) of the issues and concerns, and follow the link to include your comments. Input from current, former and future long distance hikers, as well as folks that simply want to enjoy this amazing part of the outdoors now and in the future are welcome to share their thoughts.

Cosmo

Thanks for the heads up. Planning on spending most of my time this summer backpacking in VA. I will definitely finish reading the entirety of that link and will submit my comments. (Bookmarked as I am about to be mobile soon)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

++ New Posts ++