WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Need june hiking ideas.

Looking for a good 4 day 5 night hike to do in june on the AT, Around 8 to 10 miles per day would be good. Preferably in the southeast section.

Thanks

Start at the beginning?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Yep, from Amicalola to Neel Gap is about 40 miles.

Any time I do warm weather hiking, I am sure to treat all clothing, shoes/boots, backpack, sleeping bag/quilt, even the mesh on my tent with permethrin. I will also wear light zip-off nylon pants or a very thin legging type product called rynoskins (also treated with permethrin) to reduce the likelihood of tick bites. It also does a great job of keeping mosquitos away, negating the need to bring bug spray.
    I went on an overnight hike last weekend in the Ocala Nat'l forest, wore the long pants and a short sleeve shirt, and somehow got a tick on my forearm. I got it removed in well under the 24 hr period they say it takes to contract lime - but dang is it itchy! I hate ticks!
    Last edited by MtDoraDave; 03-30-2022 at 06:23.

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    Yep, from Amicalola to Neel Gap is about 40 miles.

Any time I do warm weather hiking, I am sure to treat all clothing, shoes/boots, backpack, sleeping bag/quilt, even the mesh on my tent with permethrin. I will also wear light zip-off nylon pants or a very thin legging type product called rynoskins (also treated with permethrin) to reduce the likelihood of tick bites. It also does a great job of keeping mosquitos away, negating the need to bring bug spray.
    I went on an overnight hike last weekend in the Ocala Nat'l forest, wore the long pants and a short sleeve shirt, and somehow got a tick on my forearm. I got it removed in well under the 24 hr period they say it takes to contract lime - but dang is it itchy! I hate ticks!
    Yes 100 % do this for sure, my biggest concern. I hate ticks to !!
    Y'all that don't know Google the lone star tick . I don't know what would be worse lime disease or allergic to meat the rest of your life....

It's pretty hard to go wrong in the southernmost 300 miles or so. I section hiked most of it last June and found it almost deserted. Wayah Gap to Tellico Gap I saw no other hikers on a day that was 70 and sunny. A section hike that ends either at NOC or Hot Springs is a nice treat for the great experience to walk right off the trail and into eating/drinking establishments.

The Mountains to the Sea Trail is very nice. It's 1,100 miles, western NC to the coast, so depending on what you want for a short section hike, you can kind of dial in the topography to give lots of ups/downs, rolling hills, of flat land hiking. I'm a big fan because it's far less crowded than the AT.

https://mountainstoseatrail.org/

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Ditto on the MST.

For the AT, start from the beginning AFSP or Springer and go NOBO. If you want to stay close to trail towns then somewhere between Erwin to Hampton.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Agree with previous, I did the Erwin area for sure!

For one of my "birthday hikes" (when I splurge a bit) I rented a cabin at https://usaraft.com/lodging/. Was dropped off south of Erwin, hiked in, stayed at the cabin and chilled for a day, then kept hiking north

I think its nice to plan a section ending at Hot Springs, NC. So nice to finish up and get a tub for an hour and a massage for an hour. Great food, beer and super nice people there too.

++ New Posts ++