WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Cold Spring Trailhead near Duncannon, PA

How accessible is the Cold Spring Trailhead near Duncannon, PA? I gather it is not paved, but is the road generally maintained? How bad is it after a rain? I drive a small AWD SUV so have some ground clearance but not really interested in serious off roading.

GoogleMaps reviews have the access trail to the AT at just over a mile and 600 feet of elevation. Is this about right?

Thank you for any information.
    Last edited by perrymk; 03-26-2022 at 17:05.

I think there is no road access to that trailhead. Looking at the map the only road access I see is from the old railroad bed that they only open once a year for vehicles. Another map I looked at shows access but it is a private road.

There is road access to the trailhead at the bottom of the trail. Parts of the gravel road are a little soft with a little bit of high soft center. Easily navigated with my Honda Civic on Saturday in 1st gear. You can run one wheel on the center with no problems. No bad pot holes. Not muddy at all although there is a potential low spot near the bridge 100 yds before the parking area. Parking area is clearly identifiable on mapquest as the large open area with several vehicles.

From 443, I took Mclean road (signed) and veered right once. This turns into cold spring road then straight all the way. Alternatively follow the Second Mountain Hawk Watch signs (via Nueins road) and eventually right on Cold Spring. I suspect Mclean may be closed at times for some military activities when the other road might be open. The final access to second mountain hawk watch is only open per signs in the fall.

There is no trail sign or info about the trail at the bottom of the trail. It is blue blazed and is the obvious trail heading right about 150' past the gate in good shape all the way up. The point marked on Google is the intersection at the top of the trail with the AT. btw, this area is in state game lands so camping is allowed only on the AT and only for "thru hikers"

1 - 1.3 mile long, 800-1000' to the railroad bed, and 600' climb sound right.

++ New Posts ++