WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

If it’s warm enough to not worry about hypothermia, then just get wet. If it is cool enough to, rain jacket. Sometimes pants.

One of my best days was hiking from just south of Duncannon to Boiling Springs when the remnants of Ida came thru Temps and breeze kept me from getting too sweaty in the gear, and rain knocked down the gnats that had been plaguing us the week or so before. Feet were pretty pruney by end of day.

And yeah, I gorged at Anile’s and platinum blazed into Pheasant Field to treat myself. Both highly recommended if you can manage the cost. Pheasant Field went above and beyond.

Default Rain Jacket vs. Umbrella ( or both?)

I'm not crazy about the umbrella. I use poles, so I need the umbrella to be hands-free. I have a gossamer gear umbrella with their bungee shoulder strap attachments, but haven't really been able to get it attached to where it really works like an umbrella that you're actually holding over your head.
    I like the pants and jacket for backpacking. poncho might be ok for day hiking.

I’ve heard a variety of rain gear options, jackets, pants, Umbrellas ( remember Umbrellas, that’s the initial question). What I have not seen mentioned is the Rain Wrap/skirt. I actually have one of these, and during the right hiking season I’ll use the Wrap instead of traditional rain pants. A small weight saving, and a considerable improvement in ease & useability. Your wrap won’t give you the warmth of rain pants, so there’s a trade off.

I absolutely understand we all like & use things we are comfortable with, and changing can be a challenge. For my upcoming mid April, Central Virginia ( Pearisburg to The Priest) hike, I’ll go with the Rain Jacket, the Wrap, Rain Mitts and the Umbrella w/ hands free attachment. Wish me well! Of course, it never rains on the AT……
    "How can something this hard be so much fun".

Quote Originally Posted by GolfHiker View Post
    I’ve heard a variety of rain gear options, jackets, pants, Umbrellas ( remember Umbrellas, that’s the initial question). What I have not seen mentioned is the Rain Wrap/skirt. I actually have one of these, and during the right hiking season I’ll use the Wrap instead of traditional rain pants. A small weight saving, and a considerable improvement in ease & useability. Your wrap won’t give you the warmth of rain pants, so there’s a trade off.

I absolutely understand we all like & use things we are comfortable with, and changing can be a challenge. For my upcoming mid April, Central Virginia ( Pearisburg to The Priest) hike, I’ll go with the Rain Jacket, the Wrap, Rain Mitts and the Umbrella w/ hands free attachment. Wish me well! Of course, it never rains on the AT……
    Is the wrap the same as the kilt? Or different?

I guess it’s in the kilt family. It’s a very lightweight fabric, that you simply wrap around your waist. Normally it goes below your knees.
    "How can something this hard be so much fun".

Love my rain "skirt", packs down to matchbox size. Best part is I can whip out my umbrella and wrap the skirt in under 30 seconds, so on those on/off days its an order of magnitude more convenient. Of course effectiveness goes down as the wind increases, but we all know there are no perfect solutions.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I have the ULA rain skirt, just the thing in certain conditions. If you plan to wear it as a kilt on laundry day, get the darker colors!

I hope ice isn't hiking in a kilt !!

Journal Entries

If I can carry it for the rain and not when it's dry I will usually go with an umbrella (barring high winds), and would be my preferred method to stay dry hiking in the rain. For thru hiking the AT, I may buy a cheap umbrella en route if it looks like it may be useful but hiker box it after the rain event, however I would generally use my poncho or emergency poncho (which is all one really needs in hot temperatures).

The great Andrew Skurka generally uses a rain jacket with rubber gloves (used for washing dishes).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++