WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default HMG cube as food bag….

Any users? I’m in market for a new food bag, my good ole zpacks lasted a lot longer than expected but decided it was time after the CT to lay it to rest…I’m sure it weighted 3 x as much from all the tape holding it together. I like the shape of the large pod for keeping the pack from heaving voids. Not sure how well it would hold up as bear hang but honestly seldom do I hang anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the large and medium cubes and really like them for keeping my pack organized but haven’t used them as food bags. While they haven’t been abused, they also haven’t been babied and have held up just fine…I also use them for traveling.

The shape would work well for food, no digging to the bottom of the bag for something. There are also tabs for hanging.

Personally, the large cube may be too big for one person depending on the length of your trips. For perspective, my pic shows the cubes packed and next to my Circuit and my foot. Fully stuffed, the large cube is a very snug fit in my xs Circuit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Apologies… mine are small 2400-3400, and large 4400.

Thx…it’s the large for the 3400 I’m interested in as have 3400 HMG just lil concerned as it’s a lighter DCF..food wrappers have those sharper corners etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've looked at those, but stuck with a stuff sack or rolltop bag.

The zipper is a no go for me, right off the bat.
    Plus, the food bag's shape and size is the one thing that constantly changes in my pack. I don't think it would avoid or create voids(it's not like it holds its shape), so while "pods" and "cubes" may be fine for holding food, I think a simple stuff sack will provide the same utility with much greater durability and versatility at a much lower cost.

DCF is another downside, IMO.
    I've used the same fairly heavy duty OR stuff sack with hang loop on short trips for >12yrs, a larger rolltop bag on longer ones for ~8, and see no reason they won't still be in use for another 8 and 12+ years, respectively.
    My stuff sacks and rolltop bags made of DCF bought in the meantime had much shorter lifespans, having either been patched and reinforced by repair tape multiple times, or long since fallen apart.

I pack my food in a pod but when camping put it in an ursack. There is a loop for hanging but don't know how reliable it is.

I use a small rectangular Granite Gear zipper bag for my clothes. I've often thought a larger one for food would be nice. Using a zipper bag would save a whole minute looking for something to eat but I guess more importantly, wouldn't have to dump all food out to find that something.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++