WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

I'm still diggin' the Groove... not as efficient as Toaks but damm cheep n fast n easy to make! An eCHS for klutzes.

Groove_Stove.jpg

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptainkriz View Post
    Turn that one upside down and the bottom is dished and holds esbit nicely...
    Thanks for the tip Screenshot 2022-03-27 3.24.37 PM.png

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I'm still diggin' the Groove... not as efficient as Toaks but damm cheep n fast n easy to make! An eCHS for klutzes.

Groove_Stove.jpg
    That one worked out well for you Screenshot 2022-03-27 3.24.37 PM.png

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptainkriz View Post
    Turn that one upside down and the bottom is dished and holds esbit nicely...
    I've burned Esbit on my upside down alchy stoves in combo of my twig stove. So I have options for alcohol, Esbit or free twigs...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    I've burned Esbit on my upside down alchy stoves in combo of my twig stove. So I have options for alcohol, Esbit or free twigs...
    I like options

Ha, well I can boil 2 cups of water in 4 minutes with alcohol, so we've come a long way since the old days when it took 8 minutes.

At one point I was boiling 3 cups with the Open Country 3-cup pot (a rare classic that is no longer available) and it took 11 minutes or so, during which time I could do other camp chores. No more. Water boils so fast that I can barely get the food packages and cozy prepped for incoming hot!
    Pshaw! I boil 800mL in just over 2 minutes in my MicroMo. And yes, I use that much at each meal.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

Pshaw! I boil 800mL in just over 2 minutes in my MicroMo. And yes, I use that much at each meal.
    Interesting the MicroMo:

....One Half is in the fast lane.... (when she's driving her bus)...

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Over the last 2 years it seems the trend in stoves being used are canister stoves. Jetboils being the most popular.

What is the stove you currently will be using?
    I love cooking over a wood fire because I can control the heat better while cooking my food slowly. In the case I just want some hot water I use an alcohol stove.

Journal Entries
    Images

Groove_Stove.jpg
    Dang right.............................

Quote Originally Posted by TOW View Post
    I love cooking over a wood fire because I can control the heat better while cooking my food slowly. In the case I just want some hot water I use an alcohol stove.
    On the rare occasions that I have a campfire, it is definitely great for re-heating my morning coffee.

warming_coffee_fire.jpg

Yes, good ole multipurpose alcohol.

This Toaks is a "speedster".....Attachment 49269
    Certainly enjoyed my hot cup of coffee on this 27f morning. Not sure the Toaks made me a “speedster” on the trail but at least warmed me up.

Really like the ability to recapture unused alcohol.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyslayer View Post
    Certainly enjoyed my hot cup of coffee on this 27f morning. Not sure the Toaks made me a “speedster” on the trail but at least warmed me up.

Really like the ability to recapture unused alcohol.
    With the correct pot support and windscreen it will get the job done pretty fast.

I've had an MSR PocketRocket ever since they first came out, which I later supplemented with an MSR RapidFire.

A little over 10 years ago, I got the idea into my head of switching to an alcohol stove to save weight and burn a renewable fuel, but after building myself a pressurized alcohol stove, I realized some very important things:
    1. alcohol has a much lower specific heat, so it takes a long time to cook and uses a lot of fuel
    2. an alcohol stove is mostly either on or off, with no nuance, forget simmering
    3. an alcohol stove burns until the fuel is gone, whether you want it to or not
    4. over an extended period of time, the amount of fuel I would need to carry to equal the cooking time of a gas canister stove makes the alcohol setup even heavier.

Given all these disadvantages, coupled with the fact that a gas canister stove gives you fairly precise control of the flame, I abandoned the idea of using an alcohol stove. A few years ago, I replaced the PocketRocket with a SOTO Amicus with no igniter, and that is now my main stove. I occasionally use the RapidFire at home as an additional burner in my kitchen; it is the champion of vintage stoves, in my book. The PocketRocket is now my backup stove.

And now I understand California banned denatured alcohol a few years ago. I went camping in CA in 2013, and used my PocketRocket, but I couldn't use an alcohol stove there now even if I wanted to.

Trangia alcohol with Vargo titanium as a pot stand and wind screen. This allows you to use the simmer ring at the same time. One piece of advice, dont count on most all campgrounds for alcohol fuel replenishments or food. Just carry a little more fuel and be content knowing you will have fuel and food. Dont count on Abol campground to have alcohol, they simply dont understand.

Alcohol is quieter and better environmentally and you dont have to deal with canisters. The downsides are well documented. Just know that you can
    make it through the whole trail with alcohol. For below freezing simply have a few pieces of single line jute to use as a wick on below freezing days or use paper or tissue to light it.
    Last edited by VeganHiker; 02-21-2024 at 20:00.

I've seen a lot of the newer ones but I still prefer my DualFuel burner (3/4 oz) and "hinge folding pot support" from QiWiz. Wind screen to of course but all fits in the pot super compact with other stuff. Been using it since 2017 including my entire 2018 thru hike and still. Probably would be more efficient with some new carbon felt but still working good. I carried my alcohol in 8oz bottles and carried two keeping them full every chance I had. Those two bottles would last me well over a month but I only cook for dinner, no stove in the morning. A lot of two cooking meals for dinner though

Meant to add that I never had an issue lighting my stove with a lighter in temps even well below freezing and into the single digits. I have to warm my lighter up to get it to light but the stove fires right up, takes a bit more fuel to boil but I never had an issue and never wished I had anything more.
    Last edited by LazyLightning; 02-22-2024 at 21:35.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Images

Choose a quiet alcohol stove for the AT:

Journal Entries
    Images

Over the last 2 years it seems the trend in stoves being used are canister stoves. Jetboils being the most popular.

What is the stove you currently will be using?

https://www.territorysupply.com/wood...packing-stoves

This side of the dirt
    Images

Got this Markill stove for my 2009 AT hike. Have used it ever since. It burns hot, it's lightweight and folds up small. Easily fits inside my cooking pot. The case that came with it has a belt loop on it so one could carry it on their belt. Loop isn't large enough to go on a pack waistband.
    IMG_20240223_124214.jpgIMG_20240223_124301.jpgIMG_20240223_124414.jpg
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++