WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    Seems like this would be an easy get for LEO. Set up a lifted truck at a trailhead with a CC with GPS locator installed. the thieves would steal it, drive back to their place of "business", and then the cops move it to recover multiple (hopefully) stolen CCs.
    Certainly didn't happen on the other side of the park where CC theft has been a HUGE issue in the Big Creek area.
    After nearly a year of people reporting CC theft... they finally... installed a camera. Woohoo

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    Seems like this would be an easy get for LEO. Set up a lifted truck at a trailhead with a CC with GPS locator installed. the thieves would steal it, drive back to their place of "business", and then the cops move it to recover multiple (hopefully) stolen CCs.
    Track the thieves to the place(s) that buy the stolen CCs. Arrest the buyer(s) and make examples of them with long sentences and confiscation of their business property. If there is no one to purchase the stolen property, then there is no incentive to steal the CCs.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Or require, copy, file photo ID's for all sellers...
    When you get to those unexpected situations in life where it’s difficult to figure something out, just ask yourself, “What would MacGyver do?”
    See ya!
    Rickles McPickles

Any issues (CC theft or otherwise) parking at Newfound Gap? Perhaps the threat of federal crime is a deterrent?

Quote Originally Posted by McPick View Post
    Or require, copy, file photo ID's for all sellers...
    Yes like I have to when I scrap metal!

I am in the process of making plans for Clingmans Dome-Fontana hike and spoke to someone about paid parking and shuttle instead of parking at the VC, and was told that TVA has installed cameras and upped patrols, so CC theft is no longer an issue (or so I was told).

I just left my Jeep at Lakeshore West parking above the dam for a week with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++