WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question SeamGrip for Non slip?

I was wondering if anyone here had used SeamGrip (or another product) on their mat to keep it from slipping on your tent floor and to help prevent sliding in your sleeping bag when you are camped on a little bit of a slope.

What product did you use?
    How did you apply it? ie. dots, strips, ?
    Will it damage any of my equipment? Exped Mat and zpacks bag and tent
    Would you do it again on your next setup?

TIA
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I applied three or four lines (roughly 2 inches wide each) across the floor of my Tarptent Notch. I used a 50:50 silicon:mineral spirits mix, applied at the same time I did the seam sealing.

There was definitely some grip - I could feel the difference as I ran my hand over it. There was not really enough grip to keep my NeoAir in place while I was on it, though. It might work better now that I have gone to the Gossamer Gear 1/8" foam pad under the NeoAir, but I have also since upgraded to the Notch Li.

In my opinion it was not a bad attempt, but I probably would not do it again. It just did not work well enough.
    2005 SOBO Attempt (500 miles)
    2024 (?) SOBO Planning

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
    I applied three or four lines (roughly 2 inches wide each) across the floor of my Tarptent Notch. I used a 50:50 silicon:mineral spirits mix, applied at the same time I did the seam sealing.

There was definitely some grip - I could feel the difference as I ran my hand over it. There was not really enough grip to keep my NeoAir in place while I was on it, though. It might work better now that I have gone to the Gossamer Gear 1/8" foam pad under the NeoAir, but I have also since upgraded to the Notch Li.

In my opinion it was not a bad attempt, but I probably would not do it again. It just did not work well enough.
    do you think it would have worked better applying it directly to the back of the mat instead? I read something about doing it in "dots" on the front of the mat.

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Another thought is if your using a footprint under your tent it may slide there instead unless you treated the footprint or under the tent as well.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

I did the silicone strips when I seam sealed, and it does do something...but if camped on a slope, I still wake up finding I've slid down during the night.

The trick to make it work is to apply strps or dots to BOTH the bottom of the mat and the floor.
    The important part is to have a very thin layer otherwise it will start peeling off. This is why I suggest the diluted silicone version because it is difficult and expensive to dilute Seam Grip .

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post

what silicon did you use? I went to a hardware store and all the silicon sprays they have say "for lubrication" which is definitely NOT what I am aiming for. LOL

Silicone Caulk. Comes in tubes, the type for sealing aquariums or glass in the bathroom and so on (same area as glues and fillers) . The right type is clear and you will find "100% silicone" printed on the label. BTW, slow to cure in hot weather , cures very fast in high humidity.
    As I pointed out before, thinn it because the thicker it is the easier it is to peel off.

Images

I tried the seam grip for nonslip back around 20 years around. It was OK, but I found that using a glue gun to put small drops on the back of my sleeping pads and then smeating it slightly, worked much much better.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    The trick to make it work is to apply strps or dots to BOTH the bottom of the mat and the floor.
    The important part is to have a very thin layer otherwise it will start peeling off. This is why I suggest the diluted silicone version because it is difficult and expensive to dilute Seam Grip .
    This has been my experience as well. Apply to both, eventually may peel off. As Mt. Dora Dave says - gravity wins if the slope is large enough.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

++ New Posts ++