WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default AT Fontana to Clingmans

I’m only a section hiker and I have completed the AT to Fontana. I’ve been trying to figure out best way to complete the Smokies. Im only good for 3 or 4 days. Can anyone lay me out an easy route? Would it be to Clingman or to Davenport Gap? Thanks

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by REB View Post
    I’m only a section hiker and I have completed the AT to Fontana. I’ve been trying to figure out best way to complete the Smokies. Im only good for 3 or 4 days. Can anyone lay me out an easy route? Would it be to Clingman or to Davenport Gap? Thanks
    Crap... I made mention of an elevation profile to look at in your other post... here's a link to what I intended to post for you:
    https://tnlandforms.us/at/gsmnpat.html

I, too, am "only" a section hiker. Here's how I did the Smokies: I used Newfound Gap as a starting point for both directions because it is easier and as a section hiker, who lives in flat land several hours a way from any mountains, I don't get much chance to get acclimated to the mountains before I go. It took me 2 -1/2 days to do the south and 2 days to do the north but I might be slower than you. Whatever you do, stop and enjoy the views, be sure to take the side trails to Mt Cammerer Lookout and Shuckstack Tower or later you will wish you had.

Thanks for the reply Seatbelt. That is exactly what FlyPaper suggested. I'm glad someone is looking out for me. Great advice.

++ New Posts ++