WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Toms Run Shelter

Socks the wonder dog and I were there today, though only passing through. Two nice fairly small shelters. The location is really nice, one of my favorites of any shelter in PA. I don't think Toms Run gets a lot of use because the Ironmasters Hostel is just 2-3 miles away in Pine Grove Furnace.

Images

It is a very nice location. Lots of places to tent or hammock. Resident black snake keeps the rodents away. One of the nastiest privies on the AT. Nice spring close by. Situated for a nice, easy stroll into pine grove furnace.

Default Fair Shelter

Nothing spectacular. A little worn down. Much of the area is signed off for reforesting, so the tent sites are spare. Looks like it might be buggy, but I don't really know as I slept in the tent that night.

Had three thru-hikers in various stages of the triple crown. Two had done the PCT and were now on leg two. The other had done the PCT and the CDT and was on his last leg.

The privey is indeed pretty bad. I opted for the woods here. The spring is nearby next to an old stone chimney. It was flowing on June 27th, but looked on it's way to drying up soon.

When I stopped there for the night on my Duncannon-to-Harpers Ferry section hike 2 weeks ago, I never got a good look at either shelter - both were full with one of them "closed" by a tarp stretched across the opening. Just as well; I tented.

There's a bearbag "tree" similar to the ones in Shenandoah NP.

Water is closeby and good.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Undershaft View Post
    Resident black snake keeps the rodents away.
    I know the one you're talking about. Almost pitched my tent directly under a tree where he was stretched out on a low hanging branch. Luckly I always look up for widow makers before clearing a tent site.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

PATC has installed new tent pads, and all the old fire rings have been removed.

Was interested in car camping with my family Easter weekend at Pine Grove Furnace but according to reserve america all the tent sites are all already reserved. So now considering backpacking in the 3 miles to Toms Run shelter and tenting nearby. Has anyone been there more recently than 2011? Are there decent tent sites? Any other suggestions? My boys and I really enjoy backpacking but my wife would prefer car camping over backpacking I think. I wanted to check out the AT museum there and then the next day head down to Gettsyburg. I prefer a spot that offer some privacy but I definitely want whatever I do to be legal. Thanks in advance for any tips.
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

I was there last Sunday and it is a nice spot. At least four pads by shelter, several on other side of the covered picnic table, and several more up hill pass the privy. There is room to park 2 to three cars at Michaux Rd which is 1.2 miles North of shelter. Iceman

Forgot to mention that the AT Museum was closed last weekend. Check to make sure it will be open.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle View Post
    Forgot to mention that the AT Museum was closed last weekend. Check to make sure it will be open.
    It opens Saturday, March 26.

Hello old friends - looking to do a short 3 day hike from Cumberland, PA to around Mason Dixon. Is it likely there will be water at the Toms Run Shelters at end of September?
    2010 SoBo Attemptee. Spraied ankle in PA. Worst day of my life.

Images

Stayed at Tom's Run on 9/27/17. The creek was flowing well. The shelter was in good shape as were the tent pads and picnic tables. The privy is adequate yet not the most pleasant on the trail.

Guess I was there 9-26 as I was alone, regardless all the streams in the Michaux area are running nicely and only a mid trail spring north of Pine Grove Furnace has gone dry.

++ New Posts ++