WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Windscreens For Canister Stoves

What kind of windscreen are you using for your canister type stoves?

I'm looking for ideas to create one that will fit inside my Toaks 550 pot.

For me, it wasn’t worth the weight or hassle on the rare occasions that wind was strong enough to affect the flame of the stove. Usually, I could find rocks, dirt mounds or just use my Z Seat to create a micro climate area to get a boil. However, I did buy a Jetboil to improve speed of boil but often leave at home on section hikes due to weight and bulk versus the Toaks set up.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    For me, it wasn’t worth the weight or hassle on the rare occasions that wind was strong enough to affect the flame of the stove. Usually, I could find rocks, dirt mounds or just use my Z Seat to create a micro climate area to get a boil. However, I did buy a Jetboil to improve speed of boil but often leave at home on section hikes due to weight and bulk versus the Toaks set up.
    Thank you gbolt. I read recently:

quote:
    "So it depends where you place your stove and where you are measuring the wind. 4.4 mph at chest height will not have a great effect at ground level. This is why it doesn’t make sense to raise your stove up on a bench or table to cook.
    Classic fluid dynamics will say that the steady state velocity at the ground is zero."

My hands, my sit pad, my umbrella, the piece of reflectix I wrap around my bear can sometimes. Basically anything but a windscreen
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Sorry for double posting, but I forgot about the windscreen that was part of the GSI Microdualist. This review is for the entire kit, but if you skim through it you will find pics and a video that shows the windscreen. It wraps around the pot when stored, but you could take the same concept and coil it tight enough to carry it inside the pot I bet. The way the ends of the screen connect is the part that matters as it is simple, yet functional.

What you don't want to copy is the bottom shield that protects the canister from overheating. The way they did that part is annoying

https://www.trailspace.com/gear/gsi-...e/#review36838
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStranger View Post
    My hands, my sit pad, my umbrella, the piece of reflectix I wrap around my bear can sometimes. Basically anything but a windscreen
    Ditto. And you need to take care if using a windscreen not to let the canister get overheated

Images

This one had a tendency to overheat the canister:

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    This one had a tendency to overheat the canister:

Ummm, yeah that one looks dangerous. There needs to be an air gap of some size between the shield and the can.

YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Thank you gbolt. I read recently:

quote:
    "So it depends where you place your stove and where you are measuring the wind. 4.4 mph at chest height will not have a great effect at ground level. This is why it doesn’t make sense to raise your stove up on a bench or table to cook.
    Classic fluid dynamics will say that the steady state velocity at the ground is zero."
    Have you ever accidentally dropped a piece of paper on the ground, and then had to chase it.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Wind is one of the reasons I recently decided to swap my Snow Peak MaxLite for a Soto Windmaster (the same stove shown above labeled as the screen that tends to over heat the canister).
    Notice how the burner is recessed?
    However, I got the version with 4 arms rather than 3... to make it more difficult to knock your pot over.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Have you ever accidentally dropped a piece of paper on the ground, and then had to chase it.
    Yes, a few times....just yesterday :-).. More than likely the wind at chest level was much more than 4.4 mph. We have to do everything we can to protect our stoves from the wind.
    Thank you for your input.

Journal Entries
    Images

I just got one of these…designed around the 600…getting consistent 4g 2 cup boils:
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Images

Wow, that's a new one. Thanks for sharing that

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptainkriz View Post
    I just got one of these…designed around the 600…getting consistent 4g 2 cup boils:
    That is a nifty design. How do you think the connector tabs will hold up? Seems bending/breaking them is the only fail point.

Thanks for posting that. I hadn't seen that one before.

YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Images

I think the design has weakness. The windscreen connecting tabs is one and the connection on the lower sheild also are a weak point.

Moisture is going to collect on the pot grip when removing pot from stove. No handles on pot.

Maybe Kaptainkriz can give us some feedback on his usage of the kit.

Another windscreen design:

Oh I don't care about the stove or pot. I have too many of those already and you are partially to blame for that

I am just curious about the windscreen/heat shield. This looks light, easy to carry and functional. If I make or find something like that I might start carrying one.

YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Images

Since I started looking at different designs I have something in mind on how to go about making one that will fit inside my 550ml pot.

On another forum this is a comment that someone had that got me to thinking:
    Jan 14, 2012 at 7:03 am
    Your idea, as I understand it, is essentially to attach the windscreen to the pot, with a flange extending down below the bottom of the pot to shield the burner from cross-winds. If this is right, then I think it's a cool idea, but that this won't leave an air gap for the hot gasses and flames to escape upward along the outside edge of the pot because this creates an inverted cup the burner jets into. If this is the case, I think the performance of the stove will suffer and it will reflect a lot of heat down onto the canister.
    By anecdotal evidence, I am assured that heating the canister will result in a gigantic fireball that kills or maims everyone within approximately 1/4 mile. Well, sorta, but you get the picture.

Images

I put together a bracket and spot welded it to the side of the pot opposite the handles. Made a titanium windscreen with a little dohickey welded to it that fits nicely to the cup bracket. The windscreen extends 1 inch below the pot bottom to protect canister stoves and alcohol stoves(Fancee Feest) from the wind. Windscreen fits inside the 550ml pot.

PXL_20220426_143636679 (1).jpg
    PXL_20220426_144135794.jpg
    PXL_20220426_144713260.jpg

That should work, very interestingly inventive idea. Have you done any testing as far as boil times? And do you use a fan and some type of anemometer for wind speed testing?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++