WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Bigger tent?

Default Bigger tent?

I currently have a zpacks SolPlex 1 person tent. It weighs 15.8 oz according to zpacks with the bag. I usually like to keep all my gear, including my pack inside my tent. And it's starting to feel claustrophobic to me. I am perpetually feeling like my head is about to hit the tent wall while I am sleeping. I don't remember this being a thing before this year! There is only 1 way out and the vestibule is tiny. I keep my waters and stove in the vestibule at night.
    I am thinking about getting a larger tent. My tent already uses 2 trekking poles and I use them so going to a 2 person tent isn't an issue for me.
    Am I crazy to be looking at a duplex or even a dupleXL? The weight penalty is not very much.
    As added incentive there is a $50 savings if ordered before April 30th. I could then sell my Solplex (not to be confused with the Plex Solo).

A 2 person tent would give me more space in the tent, 2 vestibules, 2 doors and a chunk less $$$.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

Its only $$, right? I just have to cringe a bit knowing what kind of hammock pkg that would buy, with more room, less chance of getting wet, and better sleep.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    Its only $$, right? I just have to cringe a bit knowing what kind of hammock pkg that would buy, with more room, less chance of getting wet, and better sleep.
    I can't sleep in a hammock. I need solid earth beneath me when backpacking.

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'll make the general comment that I have LOVED my Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 as a 1 man tent.
    I used it to thru hike the JMT, and with it, I had a large sleeping pad, slept on the diagonal (so I felt like I had tons of head room and foot room) and I had enough space I could bring EVERYTHING (expect my bear cannister) into the tent at night (nothing in the vestibule, EVERYTHING inside the tent).

I say that mainly to comment how great the space of a 2p tent feels.
    Otherwise, a Copper Spur UL2, while lighter on the wallet, is about 3X the weight you're used to.

I used an original Hubba for years and found it really coffin-like with the fly on the door closed. Always left the top rolled up unless it was raining to avoid that feeling. Really prefer to have an extra P in my tents now 2P for solo, 3P for trips with Frau Stranger. It is worth the weight, especially in bad weather.
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

maybe try a tarp?

Quote Originally Posted by needlefish View Post
    maybe try a tarp?
    oh heck no! LOL

I agree, the room is worth some extra weight.

I've tried(week to 10 days outings) the Copper Spur UL3(pre 2020), FlyCreek UL2(also pre 2020) and both pre and post 2020 Copper Spur UL2s. I now own 2 CS's- one old style with regular and hotel flies and a 2021, the old style is mostly for bike packing hence the hotel for bike/gear cover.
    The one thing I've found from this is like Goldie Locks porridge there is a just right. Having gone solo hiking last year with the seriously overkill CS UL2 Hotel I would say the weight was pretty silly for a solo hike, but it was heaven to have a very protected vestibule the size of the whole tent. That went double for rain days. Once I sit down and think about all of my tent time, the two things that matter to me(assuming the tent does its basic job) are room to move freely and a side exit.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I'll make the general comment that I have LOVED my Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 as a 1 man tent.
    I used it to thru hike the JMT, and with it, I had a large sleeping pad, slept on the diagonal (so I felt like I had tons of head room and foot room) and I had enough space I could bring EVERYTHING (expect my bear cannister) into the tent at night (nothing in the vestibule, EVERYTHING inside the tent).

I say that mainly to comment how great the space of a 2p tent feels.
    Otherwise, a Copper Spur UL2, while lighter on the wallet, is about 3X the weight you're used to.

TarpTent StratoSpire 1, with or without the part solid inner tent, works for me. The rainfly lower edge is close enough to the ground that rain doesn’t intrude under the fly.
    I have owned a few tents and the SS 1 is the best so far.
    Good luck!
    Wayne

The rule is... a 2 person tent for one, a 3 person tent for two... and on and on, if you want your gear inside (which you should).

waiting on my duplex. should be here Thursday but heading out for a few days on Wednesday morning. But I will have it for next week!

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    The rule is... a 2 person tent for one, a 3 person tent for two... and on and on, if you want your gear inside (which you should).
    dittoThat wasn't always the case as some tent manufacturers used to have some "over size" tents.But today, manufacturers seem to be chasing that minimum weight, and doing so by sacrificing size.One of the few exceptions is REI.They have the REI Half Dome 2 Plus, and the 'Plus' indicates it is bigger than the old REI Half Dome 2.I had one of the prior versions (the one on clearance now labelled as the 2020 model).I loved it except for a section of the rain fly accumulated water if the fly wasn't very taught, and I had an issue with the no-see-um on the one I purchased and then returned.

I have a zPacks Hexamid Twin that’s nine years old and purchased a zPacks Altaplex that I’ve only used one night. The Hexamid Twin is/was the perfect tent for me as a solo backpacker. Love that tent but it has well over 200 nights so I use it for short trips, unfortunately the only type of trip I can do these days. I don’t like the Altaplex nearly as much in terms of the pitch or space. Unfortunately zPacks doesn’t make the Hexamid twin anymore.

I don’t think the weight penalty of a two man shelter is an impediment except for the most gram counting SUL backpackers. The reason I returned the duplex is because the room required to pitch it is larger than many campsites I typically like to use.

After using the Altaplex for one night, I’m probably going to sell it and keep nursing along the Hexamid twin for now. The Copper Spur is an interesting option that is a lot heavier but maybe it doesn’t matter so much for the type of backpacking I do these days (overnights, few days, a week on the JMT this summer). My current life circumstances preclude long thru hikes where weight is super important.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Have had several one person and several two person tents. Now have a Duplex and Tiger Wall, both for two persons. The weight is usually less than a pound more and cost about $100 more, if that. I really appreciate the extra space to get everything inside if I want and not feel cramped. I was surprised on the PCT by how many thru-hikers carried two person tents for themselves. These are the same folks cutting the handle off their toothbrush. It seems to be one of those items that backpackers are willing to "splurge" on.

A tougher decision is when a couple go from a two person to a three. Far fewer options for a 3 person tent and if one person wants to go out by themselves, that 3 person tent really does add a weight burden for a solo hiker. As I tell folks, if two of you are going to spend lots of time together in a two person tent, you better really like each other.

I see the OP ended up ordering a Duplex. Great 2 person choice btw. I have gone the opposite direction. I started with a 3lb+ LLBean Microlite, then to a 2lb Marmont SuperAlloy 2p, to a SMD Lunar Solo, 1.5lbs, and now a TT Aeon Li. Each tent got progressively lighter and smaller.

I also sleep with most stuff in my tent. I use my pack to raise my head or feet, depends on the campsite grade.

Honestly I kind of miss the simplicity of a freestanding tent. I got really good at pitching my SMD and I thought moving to the TT would be a easy transition. I am struggling with getting a perfect taught pitch. not sure if its because the fabric is less forgiving; less stretchy? I am getting better slowly...

I do really like the small foot print the 1p single wall tents set up in. IMO that is my favorite part of using a 1p.

Quote Originally Posted by One Half View Post
    waiting on my duplex. should be here Thursday but heading out for a few days on Wednesday morning. But I will have it for next week!
    You ordered well. If I had seen this earlier that would have been my suggestion, seeing as how you're already familiar with the Solplex.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioHiker View Post
    I see the OP ended up ordering a Duplex. Great 2 person choice btw. I have gone the opposite direction. I started with a 3lb+ LLBean Microlite, then to a 2lb Marmont SuperAlloy 2p, to a SMD Lunar Solo, 1.5lbs, and now a TT Aeon Li. Each tent got progressively lighter and smaller.

I also sleep with most stuff in my tent. I use my pack to raise my head or feet, depends on the campsite grade.

Honestly I kind of miss the simplicity of a freestanding tent. I got really good at pitching my SMD and I thought moving to the TT would be a easy transition. I am struggling with getting a perfect taught pitch. not sure if its because the fabric is less forgiving; less stretchy? I am getting better slowly...

I do really like the small foot print the 1p single wall tents set up in. IMO that is my favorite part of using a 1p.
    Well, my weight "penalty" to go to the duplex was only about 3 oz, soooo..... LOL
    15.8 oz to 19 oz. LOL

and yes, it took me a while to decide to carry that extra 3 oz

I picked up the tent on Saturday. Need to find a location to set it up before taking it out. Oh, but I also need to get another stake as I busted one in the hardpack of TN last week!

++ New Posts ++