WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default tarptent, Stratospire Li -- stuff sack too tight

Do y'all agree, or is it just me? It's a struggle for me getting it back in there...I fold it in half, so the pitchloks are together so there's less rolling - and try to keep the width no greater than those pitchloks...

Don't know about this specific tent,but have you considered just stuffing it instead of folding? Works for me.

The trick with any tent fabric is to have as much as you can flat and eliminate all possible wrinkles before folding/rolling. To use an extreme example, think of the volume taken by a brand new rolled up newspaper vs one that has had every page crumpled and then rolled/folded or a bed sheet folded compared to one just bunched up.

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Trek View Post
    Don't know about this specific tent,but have you considered just stuffing it instead of folding? Works for me.
    They don't recommend that with this tent. It won't last as long. You have to roll it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    The trick with any tent fabric is to have as much as you can flat and eliminate all possible wrinkles before folding/rolling. To use an extreme example, think of the volume taken by a brand new rolled up newspaper vs one that has had every page crumpled and then rolled/folded or a bed sheet folded compared to one just bunched up.
    Thanks, Franco. I'll try and pay more attention to that next time.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I replace most manufacturer-provided stuff sacks so I don't have to fight them. I find that a looser stuff sack makes for a more pliable package in the pack, whether the contents are rolled, folded or stuffed. Instead of a stiff "log" of tent, you have a soft tube that can be packed more efficiently.

Deadeye is deadon, and what I do as well. Just get a slightly larger stuff sack.

Images

The whole purpose of stuffing a tent into the stuff sack rather than folding or rolling it up was due to the creases that occurred in PU coated nylon tents over time - People being creatures of habit would generally fold a tent the same way over time and small pinholes would occur where 2 folds continually met. I don't know what new manufacturers suggest now, but I agree with Deadeye on using different stuffsacks.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    The whole purpose of stuffing a tent into the stuff sack rather than folding or rolling it up was due to the creases that occurred in PU coated nylon tents over time - People being creatures of habit would generally fold a tent the same way over time and small pinholes would occur where 2 folds continually met. I don't know what new manufacturers suggest now, but I agree with Deadeye on using different stuffsacks.
    As this one's dyneema, the Tarptent folks recommend you roll this one up and not stuff it if you want it to last...

Default tarptent, Stratospire Li -- stuff sack too tight

yes, re. replacing with a looser sack if Franco's tip doesn't help. The last thing any of us need when we're out backpacking is for routine tasks to be unnecessarily difficult!

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    That did the trick. Thanks bud. Spent extra time "up front" -- .making sure the net and fly were both zipped up, then making it as neat as possible before I started rolling it up. It was much easier.

Neatness always counts.
    Cheers!
    Wayne

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Dang - there goes my commissions from stuff sack sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Dang - there goes my commissions from stuff sack sales.
    ? Sorry bub. Next time!

I've had three Tarptents, the first two were silnylon and I NEVER had trouble getting them to fit in the sack they came with. The third one is a DR Li, and it is a snug fit getting it back into its sack. As has been stated, a little more care is required to roll it properly.

I've had my share of tents and other items that come with a bag. I can never get back anything into the original bag. I have the Tarptent Stratospire Li and use another, bigger, waterproof, sack.

My Notch Li had the same issue - I could be very careful to roll it perfectly, and it would fit. Otherwise it was a bit of a fight. Not wanting to have to take the time and energy each morning, I finally bought a slightly larger bag for it. I have not weighed the different bags, but I am sure it is just a few grams. I will gladly carry those additional grams if it means putting my tent away each morning is that much easier.
    2005 SOBO Attempt (500 miles)
    2024 (?) SOBO Planning

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    That did the trick. Thanks bud. Spent extra time "up front" -- .making sure the net and fly were both zipped up, then making it as neat as possible before I started rolling it up. It was much easier.
    I have been suggesting that for over 20 years but most often it gets ignored. In fact I even posted a couple of videos demonstrating that. I now do car camping and use a 30 kg (66 lbs!!!) canvas tent that needs both the fly and inner to be carefuly folded flat to fit inside the already enormous bag.

++ New Posts ++