WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Hiking shoes for hot and sweaty feet?

Hi,

I recently posted this: https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...t=#post2294726

I would like to add some more information.

Besides the Meindl Perfect, the New Balance running shoes and the Alta Lone Peaks, I also have some experience with Salomon XA 3D Pro (non-Goretex version). I never got any backpack hiking experience with the Salomon shoes before I threw them away. I bought the Salomon due to the good reviews and I was impressed by all the mesh that should contribute to lots of air circulation and thus less hot feet. Besides rubbing on my ankle they were hot like crazy, they had no cooling effect whatsoever - and I cannot explain why.

Can anyone recommend a hiking shoe/boot with the best possible construction to fight hot/sweaty feet? Hiking sandals are basically the way to go and they truly fulfill the hot feet problem, but I need a solution where the entire foot is covered by some fabric.

Lucas

For many years, my scope for hiking was in the Middle East deserts.
    I've tried any kind of shoes that came into my mind, and after several years of trial&error, I ended up with military desert boots.
    By good luck, there is a small company right around the corner that manufactures the desert boots for the Austrian UNO soldiers, and while they take a few miles to run them in, I'm very happy using them for all my 3-season hiking.
    Exactly the same boots might not be available in your part of the world, but sure you have similar boots to buy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

For me, I wear boots with Gortex and pair that with wool socks and a thin liner sock year round.The liner helps get sweat away from my skin, and the wool seems to make for a huge sink for moisture until it can escape thru the Gortex membrane and out the top of the sock.When I did a thru hike of the JMT, I made sure to take some time to rest at lunch time and take my boots off to give them a chance to air out a bit.

Hike in Chaco sandals. I had no issue even in the rocks of the Northeast.

My feet get sweaty too so I understand your dilemma. MtDoraDave hit the nail on the head in your other thread about fit and keeping your feet dry. I have bought a lot of New Balance shoes over the years. I wear their everyday "trial runner" type sneakers because they fit my foot well. These are fine for outdoors situations, in a park, a short hike on a local trail, that sort of thing. I wouldn't wear them backpacking. I have also bought NB running shoes. They are fine for offroad running but I would wear them backpacking either. That pair you had appear to have a high cushioned heal. It's good for pounding down but the lateral support is lacking. Running shoes are not "trail runners". Think of trail runners as a light hiking shoe. A little bit of stiffness horizontally on the sole is good for stepping on rocks, with lugs to handle some of the dirt and mud. A little flexibility in the sole lets you grab rocks and flow over them. A lattice of stronger material to provide a frame with mesh in between.

In your other thread you mentioned wearing two pairs of socks. I used to use this method, the thinking was that a thin lined smooth textured sock might wick away moisture. Not happening with really sweaty feet and not going to make it through a waterproof membrane. Sorry to hear the Salomons didn't work for you. I wear Salomons hiking spring, summer, and fall, and not gore-tex. I add a gore-tex sock for cold rainy months. I also wear a thin lightweight low cut hiking sock, no gaiters. I make a point to at least at lunchtime to stop in a sunny spot, pop off the shoes, pull out the Superfeet liner, and take off the socks, all of which get laid out in the sun if possible. The speed laces on the Salomons are super helpful to do this. They also make it easier to pop out any trail debris that might get in there. I'm generally carrying somewhere in the range of 10-14kg loaded.

In camp I will wear Crocs to let the feet air out and let my Salomons dry out if possible.

Besides the Salomons, I've been buying some Merrells that fit really nice for my high arches but I actually wear them everyday. I need a good fit to keep the plantar fasciitis at bay and they are helpful and not as expensive as the Salomons. Everybody's feet are differently shaped so it helps to know where the challenges might be, for example, high or low arches, a narrow heel, etc.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

My reason for wearing 2 socks is with a different mindset: The inner sock should stay put on your skin and not slide/move and cause blisters. All the sliding will occur between the inner and outer sock interface because the friction factor is lower there. At least that is the theory

Quote Originally Posted by bikemaniac View Post
    My reason for wearing 2 socks is with a different mindset: The inner sock should stay put on your skin and not slide/move and cause blisters. All the sliding will occur between the inner and outer sock interface because the friction factor is lower there. At least that is the theory
    Yeah I mentioned the smooth part but didn't detail. The two socks make the foot too hot and the resulting sweat softens up (weakens) the skin and actually creates more friction (more movement between the skin and sock).
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I definitely have sweaty feet to, and I've been going with New Balance for years, I just got pretty much my last miles out of my KOM's and now I'm on to the lightest shoe I ever tried, there Summit Unknown. I got it because it was the only one with Gortex I could find (Nov 2021) but so far I love them. I do use trekking poles all day like I have 4 legs so that helps a lot with not needing so much ankle support. Anyway, I know not having the Gortex may be better for sweat but I leaned towards the benefit of how good it keeps water out. I know most people probably don't take as many breaks as me either but when my feet are sweaty I'm airing them out every couple hours. Even if it's only a 5 minute break and the socks are a little moist putting them back on, I found that to be huge in comfort and keeping blisters away. As soon as I break the shoes come off, insoles out of the shoes and take the socks (Darn Tough) off inside out. When it's nice out everything dries like nothing but even if your feet go back in wet shoes/socks it is really good for them to get that little bit of air as much as possible. I also walk around in camp shoes in my socks. Bringing a few wet wipes for your feet or washing them when possible could go a long way to.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

It sounds to me that your foot issues are more related to your socks than your shoes. Per your other thread, you’ve found a pair of comfortable shoes but still got a blister and now your feet are hot and sweaty.

Ditch the double layer of socks, try the Injini midweight trail socks, pre-tape with KT tape the spot that typically gets a blister, treat hot spots as soon as you notice them, and take off shoes and socks every time you take a break.

I also recommend foot mapping to make sure you’re wearing the correct sized shoe.

Forgot to add…apply anti-chafing cream or powder at least twice a day.

I also have hot, sweaty, feet. I never wear Gortex hiking shoes/boots except in the winter. I wear Keen non-Gortex shoes or boots with one pair of wool socks. In mid-summer, I wear thinner socks than in cooler weather. I like to take off my shoes/boots and socks during lunch break. If my socks feel damp, I change them. In my experience, damp socks cause blisters. Anti-chafing cream or powder hasn't helped me if my socks are damp. However, each person has to figure out his or her own foot care system.

A few hours ago I finished an 8.2 mile hike up 3600 feet out of the Grand Canyon. It was the last day of a 5 day hike that took me across very rugged trails in desert heat. I had zero foot problems. My strategy, Brooks Cascadia trail runners (non waterproof, ventilated) with Darn Tough micro crew cushion socks. Every day I soak my feet and rinse the socks in the stream. Then I apply a coating of Burt's Bees Hand Salve all over my feet. Worked for me.

Images

Late response to this post. More sweaty feet. I've been using Xero Terraflex for about 8mos. They are zero-drop and fairly minimalist. I've only done a 7mi day hike in cool weather on Cumberland Island (flat but rooty under leaves) and a 20-something-mile in cold/cool weather on the (AT Sams Gap to Uncle Johnnys). The Xeros are fantastic. (I have wide, high volume feet). I have worn everything from GI to full leather hiking to trail runners

More importantly, I haven't gotten a blister in a long time, but not because of my foot wear choice. If I start feeling a rub or "hot spot" I apply moleskin to the area after covering it with tincture of benzoin (a skin adhesive).

I don't disagree with any of the suggestions in this or the other thread. But I would recommend learning about moleskin and ToB and keeping some in your kit. No hike should be ruined by blisters!
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

Images

Advice as to specific brands/models of shoe are pretty much pointless, since everyone has different sized and shaped feet and what works for one person won't for another. The only thing you can do is get properly fitted for hiking shoes or trail runners by an outfitter and see what works best for you in a process of trial and error.

I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.

~John Muir

++ New Posts ++