WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Parking near CT 4 / Cornwall Bridge, CT

Still trying to figure out my upcoming section hike. Looking for parking near the CT 4 road crossing area or possibly in Cornwall Bridge. It doesn't appear that Housatonic Meadows is an option. Is there a good spot in Cornwall Bridge to leave a car for 4 or 5 days since it is a short walk from the road crossing?

You might call the Hitching Post Motel and ask if they'll accomodate you. 860 - 672 - 6219
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

I thought about that. Just looking at google maps they appear to have a smallish parking lot, but will give them a call. There also appears to be a good sized parking area under the bridge across the river from town. Anyone use that before?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

There is parking for probably 4-6 cars right at the trailhead at West Cornwall road on a wide a gravel shoulder. Depending on your comfort level regarding leaving your vehicle, that may be a viable option. I've left my car there for between 1-4 days close to a dozen times over the years and never had or heard of any issues.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

It's worth mentioning that Bearded Woods (a hostel which based on their website seems to now only host groups) is in that area. The owner Hudson provides hiker shuttles in the area and may allow parking for a fee. You may want to call/text him to see what he can offer.

http://www.beardedwoods.com/what-we-offer.html

There is a gravel hiker parking lot just on the west side of RT 7, just north of the intersection with RT 4, which is ~0.6 SE of the AT crossing on RT 4.
    While the lot is part of Housatonic Meadows, it is for the Breadloaf Mtn/Mohawk Trail, which has its own shelters and is considered a backpacking trail.
    Hikers definitely park there overnight.

If you are not comfortable with parking choices in that area, maybe the other end of your hike has a better option?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by justhike View Post
    There is a gravel hiker parking lot just on the west side of RT 7, just north of the intersection with RT 4, which is ~0.6 SE of the AT crossing on RT 4.
    While the lot is part of Housatonic Meadows, it is for the Breadloaf Mtn/Mohawk Trail, which has its own shelters and is considered a backpacking trail.
    Hikers definitely park there overnight.

If you are not comfortable with parking choices in that area, maybe the other end of your hike has a better option?
    Doh! My comment above mistakenly referenced the trailhead a few miles north, not the one of Rte 4. I agree with you that the gravel parking lot you're describing is probably the best trailhead parking option in that area. I've used that one at least twice.

One thing to note is that people have occasionally recommended calling the local resident state trooper in advance to let them know you're parking your vehicle there for several days. I've never done it, but some of my hiking buddies always call them when parking overnight at the non-A.T. trailheads in that area.

++ New Posts ++