WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Maybe a Ruffed Grouse drumming.

I would say most definitely. Listening with good headphones makes the bass come out better. On the southern AT, I usually heard it from a distance which seems to mute the higher notes and perhaps blur the drumming a little.

How about the Raven for the puking sound
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDv_PlrBg14

The weirdest and most amazing sound I heard on trail was in the Virginia area. There's this bird whose voice sounds like it's being pumped through a kaleidoscope. It has so many simultaneous overtones and undertones weaving and braiding together at the same time. I never got to see what bird was making this noise. But it amazed me every time I heard it. It sounded very tropical to me.

The most annoying sound I heard on trail was also in the Virginia area. And it was the whippoorwill. This thing would perch on a branch above my tent at 9PM and not shut up for 20 seconds until 5am the next morning lol

wow thanks, definitely the grouse drumming, that was cool to see a video of the sound.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Quote Originally Posted by Fallesafe View Post
    The most annoying sound I heard on trail was also in the Virginia area. And it was the whippoorwill. This thing would perch on a branch above my tent at 9PM and not shut up for 20 seconds until 5am the next morning lol
    And they will occasionally pause just long enough that you think “thank the lor@!$&&? Arrrgh, it’s back at it!’ Ear plugs don’t seem to block their irratating and incessant call either.

Journal Entries
    Images

F
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallesafe View Post
    The weirdest and most amazing sound I heard on trail was in the Virginia area. There's this bird whose voice sounds like it's being pumped through a kaleidoscope. It has so many simultaneous overtones and undertones weaving and braiding together at the same time. I never got to see what bird was making this noise. But it amazed me every time I heard it. It sounded very tropical to me.
    Hermit Thrush perhaps?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0mATRdzZSc

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm not positive what "pumped through a kaleidoscope" means, but if it sounded like some kind of "electric music," that could be a veery (a member of the thrush family): (2) Veery Song - YouTube

Or, if it went on and on, like a run-on trill, that could be a winter wren: (2) Winter Wren Singing - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roper View Post
    I'm not positive what "pumped through a kaleidoscope" means, but if it sounded like some kind of "electric music," that could be a veery (a member of the thrush family): (2) Veery Song - YouTube

Or, if it went on and on, like a run-on trill, that could be a winter wren: (2) Winter Wren Singing - YouTube
    Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Oh wow! You guys really know your birds!! Its gotta be one of those you just linked. That's exactly the sound. Theres just so much going on at once.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Yes, definitely a ruffed grouse. Probably my cousin Bob, in fact.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

It's the grouse that waits until you are right next to them before they fly away scaring the you know what out of ya .

Probably not a Bigfoot, but it could be Bigfoot investigators doing vocalizations while filming a new episode of "Finding Bigfoot" better known as "Not Finding Bigfoot"

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    It's the grouse that waits until you are right next to them before they fly away scaring the you know what out of ya .
    Yes!
    Way scary
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

I heard what sounded like a young girl screaming on the AT near Walker Gap in VA. About 98% sure it was some kind of owl.

However...the creepiest thing I've ever heard was bushwhacking thru Congaree NP a few years ago. It was fairly late at night and I was set up along Cedar Creek deep in the park's backcountry when I heard a series of slaps on the water in the creek. It sounded like a hand hitting the water and it happened about ten times over the course of maybe five minutes. The only thing I can think is that it was a beaver slapping it's tail but another part of me thinks it was Sasquatch trying to sus out some fish
    "I am learning nothing in this trivial world of [humans]. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news." --John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Man View Post

However...the creepiest thing I've ever heard was bushwhacking thru Congaree NP a few years ago. It was fairly late at night and I was set up along Cedar Creek deep in the park's backcountry when I heard a series of slaps on the water in the creek. It sounded like a hand hitting the water and it happened about ten times over the course of maybe five minutes. The only thing I can think is that it was a beaver slapping it's tail but another part of me thinks it was Sasquatch trying to sus out some fish
    It probably was a beaver, and thought you were the Sasquatch
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zptTKMdYEso

Deer can make some weird sounds, too.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf1j33Ja1so

On Isle Royale we had a White Throated Sparrow sing next to our cabin at 4 AM every morning. Not scary, but you cant sleep through it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++