WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

First - Thanks for all the input. I think I will try to see a PT soon and see how that turns out.
    Sorry for the late response - Very busy weekend - To answer a few questions:
    I am a very fit 46 year old. Im around 6'1 and 185 or so. My job has me sitting in front of a computer or sitting in a drivers seat, so I probably do not walk enough, but I do stay very active when I am not working.
    I have tried different shoes - when its cold, I generally hike in a pair of Solomon Hiking boots and during warm weather I will hike in InoV8 Trail Runners. Both seem to fit well and are not very old.
    My pack is fairly light. Around 12 lbs base weight - add in Water and Food for 3 days and its around 20. I use two hiking poles and I sleep in a Blackbird Hammock (dont sleep very well on the ground)
    I spoke to a Dr. friend, who lives in the same neighborhood as me and He has offered the same advice. See a PT - More than likely after a few weeks on trail my muscles and joints will adjust to the walking and will probably get better.

I would guess based on that input that you’d feel better after a couple of weeks. My guess would be soft tissues not used to uphill downhill and carrying a load. That was my experience.

That is what I am hoping. Planning on wrapping up my career in 3 years and will probably start on in AL and hike toward Springer to ease into the trail - Hoping to have strong hiker legs once I get to the AT for a NOBO through.

Consider beach walking. It works a lot more and smaller muscles and may build more support for the knees... On the PCT, I sent my poles home for the last 500 miles just because. I discovered every little muscle that the poles provided support and stability for.

Not trying to dissuade anyone from seeing a doctor or physical therapist. But I know from past experience a PT is super expensive, and they did nothing I couldn't do myself. Maybe go get a diagnosis, go to one session to figure out what to do, then go and do it yourself. A calculated and balanced mobility and strength training routine would probably do just as much if not more than PT can....again, absent a major issue.
    It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    ... a PT is super expensive, and they did nothing I couldn't do myself. Maybe go get a diagnosis, go to one session to figure out what to do, then go and do it yourself.
    Agreed, PT can be expensive. Typically covered by insurance, but high deductible plans most often means that yes, it is out-of-pocket and not cheap. That kept me from exploring that as an option for a long time, but if I had to live the last 10 or 15 years over again, I'd do differently and pay for the PT, because the benefits are so great. Everyone has to do their own cost-to-benefit ratio analysis, but for me it has been a no brainer.

And yes, a PT will assess and diagnose the problem(s), and will prescribe certain exercises, etc.; they will show you what needs to be done and the proper technique, but they don't do it for you -- you DO "go and do it for yourself." The value in PT is having the problem diagnosed, and the proper techniques being taught and consistently practiced.

Just my two cents. I wish I had known the value years ago; it would have saved a lot of pain & aggravation.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Brother Doug.... I feel you pain, literally. You know I've been section hiking the AT for 15 years and for the past several I've been dealing with body issues.... but, I going to turn 70 so not sure how much is use/abuse and/or age. Definitely your body has to acclimate to the trail and unfortunately section hikers never experience this due to length of hike. I started carry a knee brace just in case and when my knee did get sore. Hips bothered me more at night lying on my air mattress. You think you got problems now.... just wait brother... hope you can hit the trail sooner cause it ain't going to wait for you. IMHO serious training on the Stairmaster will either kill you or prepare you... you gotta choose. You could also hike on the beach in the loose sand. Feel for you.... my heart is still planning to finish but my body is seriously resisting.

I typically get in the gym through the winter and try to get on the stairmaster daily. Spring/Summer/Fall my extra jobs/beach time/mowing/bush hogging/fishing/hunting....... take up too much time for me to get in the gym, but I stay very active in some way or another. Ill turn 50 in a bit over 3 years and my plan is to attempt a through hike of the AT the following spring. I have a call in for a visit to a PT - hopefully that will happen soon. I will keep working on building some muscle around my knees/hips and hopefully a through hike will be much more comfortable.
    Thanks again for all the advice!
    Cheers

Knee and hip issues? The elephant in the room is... What's your body weight?

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Knee and hip issues? The elephant in the room is... What's your body weight?
    OP said it was approximately 185 lbs on a 6' 1" frame.

I get knee problems at times. When I do I take Cissus supplements. Cissus also worked wonders for my tendonitis. Glucosamine Condroitin has caused high blood pressure in two family members. If you take it,be sure to monitor your BP

Oh boy this topic hits close to home..

I've been having right knee problems since Nov/Dev 2021, had that suck it up attitude(never give up) till I said enough is enough..
    When and saw my Ortho , he stated I have degenerative arthritis not much we can do aside from knee replacement or shot treatments. So we decided to do the cortisone treatment, gave me a needle in the knee helped for about a month and a half.
    Went back to him as symptoms worsen, told him I cant hike, jog.. ect its really life changing. So the next option we did is Knee Gel Injections (Viscosupplementation). These are a total of 3 injections given one injection a week for 3 weeks. Doctor said we might have to repeat every 6-7 months.
    At first I dint think it was not working but slowly the knee was getting better.. after 3 weeks after the last shot I went on a 4 mile semi jog\walk and that night my knee flaired up! I was like #$%^ I need to get back on the trail 😢

I kept at it, more fast walk than jog and it seems its getting better.. I still feel light soreness but I try to condition the knee by doing 4 mile walks 2/3 times a week.

As I wrote this, I came from my 4 mile walk and all feels fine 😊. Not sure what the answer is but "Never Give Up" . Viscosupplementation might be an avenue you might want to explore! Good luck with whatever you do decide. 🙏

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++