WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixfyrebird View Post
    I actually have always wondered about this also for myself. Shoe type does matter every now and again, but I typically get in my toes and balls of my feet will basically start hurting and then go numb. I take my shoes off for a little sometimes, but it doesn't help much once the feeling has started. I've had my feet sized in four different outdoor stores, but they all come back with the same size. Boots cause this issue the worst, but I do get it with my normal every day shoes of Merrells.

I've tried inserts in my shoes, thicker socks, less thick socks, different ways of tying my boots. It will happen every time. I'm still guessing it's shoe size related, but I will be having to switch to men's shoes for bigger sizes! Any recommendations on boots to try for anyone who had this problem previously?
    Lacing too tightly over the top (metatarsals) of the foot has caused me similar problems when wearing boots that come up over the ankles (Vasque Sundowners - back in the dark ages). A visit to a podiatrist or your family doctor might be in order if looser lacing doesn't help
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Registered User Phoenixfyrebird's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Yeah, I am thinking that's up next. I have a physical coming up soon so I'm adding it to the 'list of questions' for the discussion with a doc then. Thanks all for the suggestions!! I appreciate it!

Best weight loss plan I ever had was a long walk. when my son and I did our first section from Springer to Harper's Ferry,I lost 42 pounds. Turns out there are no soda machines in the forest. Unfortunately I have since found the pounds that I lost,heading to Delaware Water Gap in June to see if I can lose some of them again...

Could be a lot of things at play here from weight to shoes that do not support your feet well. Footwear issues can take a while to solve, since you have to identify the exact problem and find the shoe that solves the issue. There are orthotics that can be helpful, though a trip to the podiatrist would be needed to see exactly what could help.

Perhaps the least expensive remedy one can get to right away is how the footgear is laced. There are quite a few different lacing styles used for different shoes to accommodate different foot issues. There are lacing techniques from preventing heel lift and foot slide in a shoe/boot to relieving pressure on the top of the foot to accommodate bone spurs and other maladies. It's impossible to say what might work, but if you look up "lacing styles for hiking footgear" its very likely you will find something that may help or if nothing else, may more closely identify a problem that is correctable.

I could only find tips on lacing hiking boots whereas I wear shoes or trail runners. Boots bother my ankles and just feel too heavy and clumsy.

I’m having so many foot issues! Metatarsal pain got very extreme last weekend on a 4 day and had to end a day early. I was worried about a stress fracture but the pain decreased quickly with rest and ice.
    Weak ankles. Extremely high arches causing a lot of pain. I use my toes weirdly resulting in an uneven step and pain. My left leg is slightly shorter. I have a tendency to pronate or walk on my toes.
    Seeing a PT and an orthotics guy but not feeling confident things will resolve by June when we leave.

Try this search: "Lacing patterns for trail shoes and trail runners" and a bunch of sites pop up. Several sites like this may bring you to a starting point anyway https://runrepeat.com/top-10-running...ing-techniques .

I've tried almost every over-the counter orthotic in the last 30 years.

Gait Enhancement Technology (GAT) orthotics from The Good Feet Store are insane. Used by elite Marathon runners, and now by yours truly. Worth every (insert explicative) penny and more. You can't begin to understand until you try them. They're literally a game changer and I'm not being hyperbolic. Don't walk...run to The Good Feet Store and try them.

Every thru-hiker should use these orthotics, no questions asked. Forget Superfeet and all the disposable orthotics. I kid you not, your life will change.

I wear mine with Hokas and holy (insert explicative). I can walk, and walk, and walk without any discomfort. I should be their poster boy because they're that darn good.
    -- Probably written after hiking 8 miles and drinking a beer or two.

I forgot to add that I had metatarsalgia for years. I finally found a competent doctor who explained that proper stretching is the key to repair and injury prevention (especially the hamstrings). It worked. My foot had actually built up a pad as a means of repairing itself, but it's now slowly decreasing due to proper stretching before, during and after exercise (along with great orthotics).

Unless you totally screw up your feet, quack doctors will only give you pain killers and want to cut you open...while the good ones will prescribe PT and teach you how to take care of your body.

OTC orthotics rarely work. Or not for long if you have many feet issues.
    I've had custom made orthotics for some 30 years now. They are game changers. They should also be checked and possibly replaced as your feet change as you age. I've averaged replacement due to foot changes around every 5 years. A few years ago I was getting pain in my large toe joints, due to damage over the years. The doctor changed the orthotic and it greatly helped.
    Ask around your area and find which podiatrist most people use and schedule an exam.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    Intermittent fasting and a low-carb, high-fat, moderate protein worked wonders for me. Literally eliminated my type 2 diabetes to the point where there is no evidence I ever had it. I suspect this will eventually be the prescription for those of us who are metabolically pre-disposed, but change is slow. https://www.amazon.com/Obesity-Code-...2991990&sr=1-1
    Have you seen the movie The Game Changers?

https://vumoo.to/movies/the-game-changers-2018

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    OTC orthotics rarely work. Or not for long if you have many feet issues.
    I've had custom made orthotics for some 30 years now. They are game changers. They should also be checked and possibly replaced as your feet change as you age. I've averaged replacement due to foot changes around every 5 years. A few years ago I was getting pain in my large toe joints, due to damage over the years. The doctor changed the orthotic and it greatly helped.
    Ask around your area and find which podiatrist most people use and schedule an exam.
    THIS!

My experience with orthotics is identical to Rhjanes, especially relative to the OTC inserts masking other problems that became worse by not understanding what was going on and attributing to aging, I probably had 20-pairs of OTC inserts of different type, brand, and uses laying around. Once I saw a podiatrist and discovered I had a hammertoe and neuroma in development the prescribed orthotics worked instantly to relieve both issues.

FWIW, if you are using OTC inserts to resolve the same or a growing list of foot issues, it would be wise to find a good podiatrist to get to the bottom of what's causing discomfort. The custom orthotics are a blessing and have easily added 20-years to my hiking career.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    THIS!

My experience with orthotics is identical to Rhjanes, especially relative to the OTC inserts masking other problems that became worse by not understanding what was going on and attributing to aging, I probably had 20-pairs of OTC inserts of different type, brand, and uses laying around. Once I saw a podiatrist and discovered I had a hammertoe and neuroma in development the prescribed orthotics worked instantly to relieve both issues.

FWIW, if you are using OTC inserts to resolve the same or a growing list of foot issues, it would be wise to find a good podiatrist to get to the bottom of what's causing discomfort. The custom orthotics are a blessing and have easily added 20-years to my hiking career.
    I should have added, I was born with some deformities in my leg bones and feet. Never had the Forrest Gump braces but there was talk of them at the time. When I was in pain in the morning, my wife insisted I see a podiatrist. He X-ray, watched me walk. Did a 1 minute manipulation of my feet. Then told me my life history of my feet! My jaw was on the floor! He even guessed at how when I was between 4 to 11, what they did to "fix" what they thought needed to happen at the time. That all added to my issues. But over the years, sticking an axe in my foot, cutting it bad in a flash flood, breaking a bone while orienteering....all just added to the issues. I had a relative who tried for years, different OTC products. Including using two at once! Once my wife got him to a podiatrist, they tossed all the OTC stuff, fitted him with custom orthotics and within a week of him getting them broke in and use to them, gee....magic......most issues were resolving. The doctor had said some wouldn't resolve...and sadly a few of those the doctor was saying "Well.....if you'd see a prodiatrist some 20 years ago...maybe this would be better...".

So, if you get relief with OTC stuff and one of the "feet" stores, great. But if after trying two.....go see a podiatrist. Your insurance probably covers at least some of it.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Quote Originally Posted by High-Milage Hiker View Post
    I've tried almost every over-the counter orthotic in the last 30 years.

Gait Enhancement Technology (GAT) orthotics from The Good Feet Store are insane. Used by elite Marathon runners, and now by yours truly. Worth every (insert explicative) penny and more. You can't begin to understand until you try them. They're literally a game changer and I'm not being hyperbolic. Don't walk...run to The Good Feet Store and try them.

Every thru-hiker should use these orthotics, no questions asked. Forget Superfeet and all the disposable orthotics. I kid you not, your life will change.

I wear mine with Hokas and holy (insert explicative). I can walk, and walk, and walk without any discomfort. I should be their poster boy because they're that darn good.
    I have been using Good Feet insoles for 13 years now and I am a total believer in them.

Jog on curbs for exercise, like it was a tightrope. Builds a lot of on the go balance muscle.

weight gain can be very hard on the feet as well as joints. I am now recouperating from a very swollen tendon on the inside of my knee. Doctor said it came from over use. I couldnt go down any stairs for two months. Talked with other hikers with same issue. I once had plantar fa*****is so badly I had to give up hiking for a year. Then I discovered Walk Fit orthotics. They were around $25 and completely healed it. They are a life saver. I`ve been an AT hiker since 1971,and have pretty much seen and done it all. A word to the wise: watch your weight. Try to stay skinny
    loose lips sink ships

I was a personal trainer for 25+ years. You need to change your eating. I suggest Wheat Belly or Keto. Watch some videos by Dr Jason Fung to understand, in simple terms, the science of weight loss. Dr Berg on youtube has a lot of good info on keto.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++