WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Connecticut reports its first case of tick-borne Powassan virus in 2022: What to know

https://www.foxnews.com/health/conne...irus-what-know

This is a good article describing the emerging, tick-borne Powassan virus in Connecticut. The article also provides a bit of history about the discovery of Lyme disease, also in Connecticut. Reported cases of Powassan are nowhere near the reported number of cases of Lyme, but the numbers are increasing.

"Between 2011-20, in addition to Connecticut, the following states have reported cases to the CDC: Indiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Wisconsin." The AT runs through 7 of these states.

When I hiked the trail in 2006, I recall numerous conversations regarding bears. Fear of bears. Bear sightings. Bears stealing food, etc. But no conversations about ticks until I ran into two SOBO hikers in New England who had started NOBO in the spring. We recognized each other and stopped for brief chats. Both said they had to get off the trail due to illness from tick bites and felt well enough to flip by the end of summer.

I hiked 1800 AT miles in 2006. I had 9 bear encounters. I did not see a single tick. I completed the trail in 2008 and again, did not see any ticks. I realize that I was very fortunate.
    Insect repellents work to some degree against ticks. For me tho, spraying Sawyer Permethrin on my clothing was the most beneficial protection.
    When you get to those unexpected situations in life where it’s difficult to figure something out, just ask yourself, “What would MacGyver do?”
    See ya!
    Rickles McPickles

I swear by permethrin to, works very well and against other insects to. I never spray myself with any other repellent, just treat my clothes and hat/buff with permethrin. I also buy Martin's 10% so I can mix mine a little stronger then what you buy premixed - and it's unbelievably cheaper. I usually just treat them every week to, unless it's winter.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

This does not say where he was and it took them two months to release this?

++ New Posts ++