WhiteBlaze Pages 2022
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
$5 for printable PDF, AVAILABLE NOW. $9 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Results 1 to 11 of 11

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    Default MLD Burn vs Prophet

    Howdy Folks

    Does anyone have experience with either pack (Mountain Laurel Designs Burn vs Prophet)

    Ive been using a hipbelt less pack for years now, and I would like something that will have a dedicated hipbelt these days

    Baseweight hovers around 7.5lbs

    Specifically, Im wondering if my zpacks duplex will even fit in a burn. Ive taken measurements and compared and contrasted, but its still hard to say. I know frameless packs carry better when more or less full so I dont want to purchase a frameless pack thats too large and will just sag like Grandma Gatewoods burlap. I also dont want to spend $300 and not even be able to fit my gear.

    Thanks everyone!

  2. #2

    Default

    What pack are you currently using?

    I haven't used those packs, specifically, but have used a few in the 36- to 50-liter range and find that what fits into a 38-liter Zpacks Zero will also fit into a 36-liter GG Murmur and 38-liter Waymark Evlv. Ditto for my old-style (2011) Arc Blast 52-liter and Arc Air 50-liter.

    I do have a MLD Core (28 liter) and it is well made. I added a mesh pocket to the front, however, because I find that such a damn handy feature that I simply can't live without it. I use the shoulder strap pockets for 20-oz Gatorade bottles and it works out very well. I also added some little shock cord triangles, a la Zpacks Zero, to hold a sit pad on the back.

    MLD_Core_with_Dutch_Packback_02.jpg MLD_Core_sit_pad_holder_02.jpg MLD_Core_sit_pad_holder_03.jpg
    Last edited by cmoulder; 05-17-2022 at 07:27.
    UL, because nobody ever asks "How can I make my pack heavier?"

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    What pack are you currently using?

    I haven't used those packs, specifically, but have used a few in the 36- to 50-liter range and find that what fits into a 38-liter Zpacks Zero will also fit into a 36-liter GG Murmur and 38-liter Waymark Evlv. Ditto for my old-style (2011) Arc Blast 52-liter and Arc Air 50-liter.

    I do have a MLD Core (28 liter) and it is well made. I added a mesh pocket to the front, however, because I find that such a damn handy feature that I simply can't live without it. I use the shoulder strap pockets for 20-oz Gatorade bottles and it works out very well. I also added some little shock cord triangles, a la Zpacks Zero, to hold a sit pad on the back.

    MLD_Core_with_Dutch_Packback_02.jpg MLD_Core_sit_pad_holder_02.jpg MLD_Core_sit_pad_holder_03.jpg


    Thanks for sharing. Photos are always useful!

    Im currently using a Pa'lante Packs Joey or a 30l ALD (french company). I guess I have a thing for running vest style straps and small packs.

    While I love not needing a hipbelt most of the time, Its nice to have when needed. I had a backspasm coming down into the NOC last year and being able to take the weight off my shoulders and onto my hips would have been great.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Photos are always useful!

    Im currently using a Pa'lante Packs Joey or a 30l ALD (french company). I guess I have a thing for running vest style straps and small packs.

    While I love not needing a hipbelt most of the time, Its nice to have when needed. I had a backspasm coming down into the NOC last year and being able to take the weight off my shoulders and onto my hips would have been great.
    OK, those are pretty small packs... Do you carry the Duplex in those or strap it outside? I had a Duplex for a long while (sold it recently to a friend) and it is still somewhat bulky even when folded and rolled efficiently.

    If those two packs are roomy enough for you then the Burn should be no problem at all.

    Not too long ago I thought I wanted to try the Nashville Cutaway with the vest-style suspension which was the "new hotness" for a while there. Other than that, I also like hip belts even on very small packs, just to keep them from swaying around when climbing over stuff at odd angles. And even with a very light pack it helps sometimes to take just a few pounds off the shoulders, especially with water carries.
    UL, because nobody ever asks "How can I make my pack heavier?"

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    OK, those are pretty small packs... Do you carry the Duplex in those or strap it outside? I had a Duplex for a long while (sold it recently to a friend) and it is still somewhat bulky even when folded and rolled efficiently.

    If those two packs are roomy enough for you then the Burn should be no problem at all.

    Not too long ago I thought I wanted to try the Nashville Cutaway with the vest-style suspension which was the "new hotness" for a while there. Other than that, I also like hip belts even on very small packs, just to keep them from swaying around when climbing over stuff at odd angles. And even with a very light pack it helps sometimes to take just a few pounds off the shoulders, especially with water carries.



    I carry the duplex inside. I hate having anything dangling or strapped to the outside of my packs. They Joey is tapered so the top is just wide enough for me to fit the duplex. Dont get me wrong, its a tight fit and I cant carry more than 3 days of food in that pack. But man, the joeys straps feel like butter. Maybe the comfiest pack straps Ive used.


    Ive heard nothing but great things about the Nashville Cutaway, especially with the recent redesign.

    I had a LiteAF curve 30 for a while. It had a removeable padded hipbelt (which I wasnt a fan of). Man that pack was narrow!

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    I carry the duplex inside. I hate having anything dangling or strapped to the outside of my packs. They Joey is tapered so the top is just wide enough for me to fit the duplex. Dont get me wrong, its a tight fit and I cant carry more than 3 days of food in that pack. But man, the joeys straps feel like butter. Maybe the comfiest pack straps Ive used.


    Ive heard nothing but great things about the Nashville Cutaway, especially with the recent redesign.

    I had a LiteAF curve 30 for a while. It had a removeable padded hipbelt (which I wasnt a fan of). Man that pack was narrow!
    Haha, yeah I too am more than a bit OCD about "dangle-jangles" ... I don't like to strap stuff on the pack due to snags, damage, etc. I'll tuck a sit pad and maybe fleece under the top strap.

    I have a friend who is crazy about those little stuff pockets on the bottom of Pa'lante packs.

    I'd like to try a Pa'lante and a Cutaway at some point, but still "honeymooning" with the Waymark Evlv now.
    UL, because nobody ever asks "How can I make my pack heavier?"

  7. #7

    Default

    In case anyone else would find this info useful, I can fit my duplex in a mld burn with no problem

  8. #8

    Default

    Good, and not surprised to hear this. I hope the Burn works out well for you.

    After a bout of Covid-induced fatigue and an ankle issue, I'm just getting back out and doing some short hikes. Did a quick overnighter Mon-Tue and was able to test the 38 liter Evlv and am very happy with it, using the Lite AF hip belt. Nice to hike in the greenery and warm temperatures.

    Waymark_EVLV_SMALL.jpg
    UL, because nobody ever asks "How can I make my pack heavier?"

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Good, and not surprised to hear this. I hope the Burn works out well for you.

    After a bout of Covid-induced fatigue and an ankle issue, I'm just getting back out and doing some short hikes. Did a quick overnighter Mon-Tue and was able to test the 38 liter Evlv and am very happy with it, using the Lite AF hip belt. Nice to hike in the greenery and warm temperatures.

    Waymark_EVLV_SMALL.jpg


    Each time I put the burn on, I like it more and more. I might just have to order another one in ultra!

    Right on! Ive heard good things about the waymark products. I think using loadlifters is a great idea!

  10. #10

    Default

    Glad to hear yer feelin' the luv! Here's a review from a guy (Swami) who has more than 19,000 miles on his. He wears them out but still keeps buying them.

    I thought load lifters on a frameless would be superfluous but with this pack (Waymark) they do seem to help balance out the pressure distribution around the shoulders. Adding a couple of 1 liter water bottles to get my TPW up to 17.7lb, it still felt very comfortable. You can see them in the photo, 1 being the BeFree and the other a Platy, in addition to a 20oz Gatorade bottle.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 05-26-2022 at 06:55.
    UL, because nobody ever asks "How can I make my pack heavier?"

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Glad to hear yer feelin' the luv! Here's a review from a guy (Swami) who has more than 19,000 miles on his. He wears them out but still keeps buying them.

    I thought load lifters on a frameless would be superfluous but with this pack (Waymark) they do seem to help balance out the pressure distribution around the shoulders. Adding a couple of 1 liter water bottles to get my TPW up to 17.7lb, it still felt very comfortable. You can see them in the photo, 1 being the BeFree and the other a Platy, in addition to a 20oz Gatorade bottle.

    I have henced dubbed MLD packs the "Toyota Land Cruisers" of the pack world. haha. Built to last, tried and true!

    Yes, the loadlifters are nice when pack is full. I also have become a big fan of carrying my water upfront. It redistributes the load nicely and free up my side pockets

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •