WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Plans derailed

Doing a section hike sounds reasonable---or if you're itching to backpack pull a weekend trip as close to home as possible. And study Colin Fletcher's brush with injury when walking and getting hit by a van.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Doing a section hike sounds reasonable---or if you're itching to backpack pull a weekend trip as close to home as possible. And study Colin Fletcher's brush with injury when walking and getting hit by a van.
    I had not heard of Colin Fletcher before, now I must read his books.

Colin Fletcher, Stephen King and now me. That makes three of us all together in the same fraternity. All three of us hit by vehicles while walking and damn near killed. This is one fraternity that I can do without being a member of.

MM

Not to be too paranoid, but beware online activity.

Opposing attorneys *will* do a deep search of internet postings and will use any snippet and twist any statement they can against you.

Images

I was laid up in Williamsville for almost year after knee surgery in the very early 90's. I had started my ADK46 then and had also been planning to finish the Northville Placid Trail and had nothing but time on my hands for many months. I was working at EMS on NF Blvd and also at Dick's new store.

My favorite adventure readings were Colin Fletcher (The Complete Walker, The man who walked through Time - Walking E2E Through the Grand Canyon). Ed Abbey - Monkey Wrench Gang, Down the River and Desert Solitaire are a few - Great Reading. And, Jon Kraukauer - I think many know his "Into Series..." but before that, he wrote "Eiger Dreams" Which was I think some of his best writing.

As I was healing, I spent a lot of time on the Conservation Trail, FLT and NCT as well as WNY's many parks. I am not familiar with any of the reclaimed rail trails now, other than what was in the Amherst area then, but I wish you bthe best of luck. PS - I found much of the hill side-slabbing that we see on the FLT to be very helpful for strentghening my muscles around knee.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

All good advice here after my clueless crap

I’d seize the opportunity to thru hike whenever it arises. I did several long hikes but never a full thru of one of the big 3 (AT, PCT, CDT), although I have done several sections. Now I’m not in a position to hike more than a week at a time and not sure when I will be able to. Luckily I still have great health so maybe someday.

Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    All good advice here after my clueless crap
    I wouldn't say it's crap because it's always good to remain positive and to do what one can to rehab and to prepare.

Preparing wise, would really try to dial in your shoes. What is great for one is terrible for another. REI would be a good place to start. When you find ones you like, with a pack on, uphill and down, buy 5-6 pair. My favorites got discontinued and I had to order for two different outlets to get enough in my size.

Shoes are pretty damn important, I’d say more so than pack, tent and sleep system.

Hank I couldn't agree more. One of the main things that got drilled into my head regularly during my years in the Marine Corps is "take care of your dogs!" (feet). Most of the guys SSgt and above that I served with and under in the '80s were Vietnam vets. Taking care of your feet in the field is no joke. Jungle rot/trench foot, blisters, scabies, slivers, etc, all can put you out of commission. I served in peacetime but where I was, Hawaii, Philippines, all those factors were in play. Less so for me as a Huey helicopter mechanic/doorgunner than the grunts but still vital. Take care of your dogs!
    “I did it. I said I'd do it and I've done it.” ~Grandma Gatewood
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace". ~Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by The Miracle Man View Post
    Looks like my 2023 thruhike plans just got sunk.
    I was planning for and very much looking forward to a spring '23 launch heading south from Katahdin to Springer. Now it looks to be shaping up as a '24 postponement.
    legal proceedings were apparently winding down concerning the civil suit I am involved in. There was light at the end of the tunnel, or so I thought. Depositions have now concluded.
    The night of Valentine's Day 2019 I was as a pedestrian hit by an SUV. The driver fled the scene leaving me laying on the shoulder for half an hour before an ambulance came. Security video on a nearby building established a timeline. Our hero was caught. Drunk. 0.19% BAC. He went to prison. I spent a month in a coma with skull fractures and multiple other serious injuries. Over three years now since then.
    this is getting old. I asked one of my attorneys how much longer will it be before this finally gets wrapped up. "Eleven months, maybe 18". Certainly I understand this whole Caronapocalypse/Covid drama has slowed everything down but c'mon now! THREE YEARS! Now we are going for four?! Four and a half?!
    The only positive aspect, if there is any positive aspect in any of this, is that I now have another full year to more throroughly plan out my stroll in the woods.

MM
    I'm sorry. i'm a litigation paralegal and work in insurance defense (car crashes). Litigation is a huge PITA, and can take forever. It's frustrating for sure. Especially with a high-value case like this with such severe injuries... they'll fight all they can. I got no words of wisdom, just empathy. Hang in there.
    “By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my own actions a great sinner, and by calling a wanderer.”
    -Quote adapted from "The Way of A Pilgrim"

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Not to be too paranoid, but beware online activity.

Opposing attorneys *will* do a deep search of internet postings and will use any snippet and twist any statement they can against you.
    as an insurance defense paralegal, can confirm.
    “By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my own actions a great sinner, and by calling a wanderer.”
    -Quote adapted from "The Way of A Pilgrim"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++