WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene
    Cool. I had a similar morning experience of the sun reflecting off the clouds below me at Mt. Everett in March 1975. Please post any pictures if you took any.
    I took several, not a one of them came close to showing what I saw, I don't know if any camera could have dealt with those lighting conditions without the use of a polarizing filter and a nuetral density filter, of which I had neither

Section Hiker

Default privy

I spotted a privy in a state of construction, about 50 yd N of the shelter, down in the woods in the E side of the trail. I'll see if it's finished next time I'm up there.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Cool My observations

Quote Originally Posted by Drala Hiker
    I spotted a privy in a state of construction, about 50 yd N of the shelter, down in the woods in the E side of the trail. I'll see if it's finished next time I'm up there.
    As of mid October, '04, the new privy is complete, however I did not visit it intimately. Although all windows and shutters are gone, the state of the shelter is ok; no trash but quite damp, seeing that it had been raining on & off for several days. The fog that nite was so thick, one could never see the bottom of the stairs, & at one point I couldn't see my outstretched hand! As for the wind, a clown by the name of Mike (w/ his sidekick Carl - both old navy men who'd never served aboard a floating ship!) put up a plastic bag over the upwind window & that seemed to do the trick.

As for the mice, they were MIA, thank god. It may have been the temps (below 50), the sound of the flapping window-bag, and/or the fact that we kept two candle lanterns burning all nite in a deserate effort to ward them off. The place looks like mice city. The only visitor was a flying mammal or two. The resident bats seemed to create quite a stir.

As for the many claims here & elsewhere that Blood is the best view in GA, has anyone driven up to Brasstown Bald, GA's highpoint? I can't compare, b/c all I saw was white fog..............
    Last edited by BlackCloud; 11-20-2004 at 22:24. Reason: spelling

with a case of blind faith
    Images

Well, early November and the first time we had a clear view from Blood Mountain! Shelter fairly clean but lots of day traffic yesterday (one asked where the water fountain was...one gentleman wore street clothes/shoes up & down...). I have to say, with this much day traffic, hardly a bit of trash on the trail or at the shelter. No mice/No bats this trip. Wasn't looking for it but had a clear view of Atlanta high rizes. Fire ban in force, "fire permitted at least 300 feet from the trail" all the way to Slaughter Gap I think.

Hopefully hikers in the future will be more respectful of this landmark.
    I understand the value of this shelter. So many hikers have visited and enjoyed the site. It's an AT hiker's mile stone for sure.
    In June 2004 I was happy to visit and get out of the weather to change and take a break. It was a cold, rainy and windy afternoon, but a short visit was all I could stand.
    I would not enjoy an overnight there. The shutters were gone, the floor was filthy with about 1/2 inch of dirt, the walls were moldly and the shelter stank just like a side ally on Bourbon Street. I can't believe hikers would use the shelter for a urinal. Also there was no broom or register. Only in the worst of weather conditions would I consider staying there.

I always tell hikers going to this area to visit but either stay at Wood's Hole or push on to Neel's Gap.

HYOH doesn't mean anything goes.
    pete

That rat trap needs to be torn down.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud
    As for the many claims here & elsewhere that Blood is the best view in GA, has anyone driven up to Brasstown Bald, GA's highpoint? I can't compare, b/c all I saw was white fog..............
    For my money, Tray Mountain has the best view in GA. And regarding the Blood Mtn Shelter, I'd only stay there if I was in a really bad way - like caught in a blizzard. The shelter is just unappealing to me as a place to sleep.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

its haunted , if your lucky, youll hear doors closing, shudders banging, chains rattling, moans comming from underneath.. etc etc

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

there used to be a blair witch hanging from the rafters.

and i've witnessed a resident skunk more than one time...
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Freighttrain
    its haunted , if your lucky, youll hear doors closing, shudders banging, chains rattling, moans comming from underneath.. etc etc
    I heard plenty of snoring. DOes that count?
    Frosty

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Post Love it

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    That rat trap needs to be torn down.
    While I understand LW's elegantly articulated position, i disagree. I would prefer that it be "remodeled". Chestnut Knob shelter is a former warden's cabin & is one of my favorites......
    Be Prepared

Default Nice Camping Spot on Blood Mountain

During a section hike last spring, we camped on the ledge on the west side of the mountain. Nice wind break and large rock for cooking. Shelter was pretty ratty but being used by four thruhikers.

GA-VA 2005, VA-CT 2007, CT-ME ??
    Images

I was up there on 7-16/17. It still smelled faintly of urine, and the resident skunk made an appearance. It seems that the recent storms also split the large tree on the southside of the shelter, part of it resting on the roof. It looked like there had already been some trimming and damage control, though. And no journal around, either :[

On the upside, my friend and I spent about an hour sweeping out both rooms from floor to ceiling, and I built some window sculptures out of those tiles you see outside the shelter.

I also got a pleasant surprise from a group of 4 section hikers, one of whom had lugged a chocolate coca-cola cake up for an afternoon snack. Great guys.
    -Mark

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

gonna make a side trip up there this weekend when we do the coosa backcountry trail. looking forward to it.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Thumbs up Blood Mt Shelter

I attempted a thru-hike in 99. When I walked through Slaughter an overwhelming feeling came to me. That night at Blood Shelter I was alone til just before dark when two couples came in. It was a very cold and windy night, the windows were out and it was comming in like crazy so I put my tarp on the window and we all finally could get some sleep even though it was a little noisy. When I desended the next morning that feeling I had when I went through Slaughter came back with such a force that I sat down and broke into tears.
    When I got home I talked to my mother about it. She told me that her relatives lived in the area that I walked through. I can't explain what it was that happened to me there. All I know is on this years thru-hike I will be staying the night in Slaughter Gap and the next night at Blood hoping that whatever happened to me in 99 will come back and show me what it was all about.

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Folks the authorities that be don't want people staying there anymore so they will do nothing to encourage y'all to stay there. This is the policy they have enacted, so either stay at Wood's Hole or go up and over, because there is no great place to stay and no water to be had anywhere near the top. To renovate the shelter would simply encourage more people to stay up there, something they do not want!
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Images

Yes, that means I agree with LW, tear the old place down, it's purpose has been served!
    Walking Dead Bear

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Belgarion
    I attempted a thru-hike in 99. When I walked through Slaughter an overwhelming feeling came to me. That night at Blood Shelter I was alone til just before dark when two couples came in. It was a very cold and windy night, the windows were out and it was comming in like crazy so I put my tarp on the window and we all finally could get some sleep even though it was a little noisy. When I desended the next morning that feeling I had when I went through Slaughter came back with such a force that I sat down and broke into tears.
    When I got home I talked to my mother about it. She told me that her relatives lived in the area that I walked through. I can't explain what it was that happened to me there. All I know is on this years thru-hike I will be staying the night in Slaughter Gap and the next night at Blood hoping that whatever happened to me in 99 will come back and show me what it was all about.
    that land is said to be inhabited by the Nunnehi, a mythical indian tribe that is the protector of the Cherokee. legend has it that they live under Blood Mountain and at nearby Nottley Falls. lots of folks have reported hearing "the drums" and when they try to find where they were coming from, they appear to have come from somewhere else. it is also Cherokee legend that it was the Nunnehi, that came from everywhere by the thousands, that allowed the Cherokee to defeat the Creek in the battle that gives Slaughter Gap and Blood Mountain their names.

that strange feeling is very real, and it doesn't happen to just you. that area is, and has been, a very spiritual place (before the battle) especially for folks who may be sensitive to that kind of stuff. the area around Balance Rock (about 1/2 mile south of Neel's Gap) is that way as well. there is a indian trail marker tree just to the right of the rocks that points to Neel's Gap.

if your interested in that kind of stuff, a good book to read:
    Song of Sprit by Nagal Logute Iyapa

Images

Come to think of it, the area of Balance Rock has stuck in my head since I hiked the area for the first time. I can picture it as clear as day and an awe like feeling came over me much like when I stood at Gettysburg looking out towards the Confederate staging area where Pickett began his fateful charge.
    Walking Dead Bear

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Almost There
    Come to think of it, the area of Balance Rock has stuck in my head since I hiked the area for the first time. I can picture it as clear as day and an awe like feeling came over me much like when I stood at Gettysburg looking out towards the Confederate staging area where Pickett began his fateful charge.
    when you go through there, it is always good to bury a little tobacco. if you take anything from there, you should verbally ask permission (rock, stick, anything). if you believe in that kind of s**t.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++