WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Use for a nice "tin"?

Mrs. Time Zone set aside for recycling a container (a "tin", but made of aluminum) that struck me as having potential for a DIY project ... some kind of alcohol stove came to mind.

GoodMol.jpg

The screw top appears to be a fairly thin painted aluminum, but the base appears to be anodized aluminum, and is pretty solid / rigid. It measures 1.5" high and 3" diameter and weighs 44g / 1.6 oz empty.

I already have Supercat and Fancy Feast stoves (one without wick, one with). Also have a very small side burner made out of the top of an aluminum beer bottle. That one's only good for 1/2 oz of fuel and 8 oz of water. None of those 3 use a stand. I suspect any stove made from this would require a stand.

I'm an inveterate (but not highly skilled) DIY-er. So when I see some material with potential, I'll set it aside for awhile to think of what I could turn it into. Ideas welcome!

I understand the itch. But I'm with you, alcohol stove is the only thing that really pops to mind.

Images

Nice container for a campfire starting kit. Cotton balls coated with petrolium jelly

A spice "tin", a vitamin and or medicine "tin", a medical "tin", and to add to zelph idea a fire starter "tin" like waterproof matches, fire starters etc.

Often I see little containers such as Altoid tins, and even sardine cans, and try to think of a way to put them to use. Never seems to end up as the most optimal solution.

For the tin in question, 44g is rather heavy as a starting point. Zelph's Starlyte XL3 is something like 23g without the plastic lid.

Thanks all. Yeah, it is a little too solid for backpacking probably. Maybe frontcountry, I've been using ziplocks for the firestarters Zelph mentions(wrapped in wax paper like homemade candy!). Maybe this would be good storage for those, and not use plastic that way. Though one Xiplock for those does last a long time (i.e., I've yet to wear my first one out).

cmoulder, one thing I do use an altoid tin for at home is as a repository for used DE razor blades. Eventually it'll go to metal recycling. But it does take some time to fill one up! This one would be maybe better for that, since it has a screw lid, and wouldn't pop open like an Altoids tin would.

And yeah, I don't need another alcohol stove. (someone's going to chime in and append that statement with "... said no DIY stove enthusiast, ever!")

There is always room for one more tin. I save these beautiful tins for all sorts of things like gas stove rebiuld kits, meds, contact lens stuff, fire starter kits, flint n steel kits... even mounted electronic projects in them. Bike parts, nuits n bolts... come on man, it will come in handy one day. Toss it and you will be looking for it one day. Put it in that box in the garage with all the other tins n med bottles you have been saving for years.

I just had a epiphany because of an on going thread, make a candle out of it. You could have 1-3 wicks and when done burning the candle for the night just screw the lid on until next time.

++ New Posts ++