WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hitching in GSMNP?

Any prohibition on hitching in GSMNP? Thinking about trying thumb a ride from Newfound Gap to Clingman's Dome.

Journal Entries

People do it. I don't know if there's any rule against it. Another possibility is to chat with folks at NFG and ask for a ride. That's not hitching. Be aware that parking at Clingman's Dome can be awful depending on when you get there. It might be advantageous to get dropped off a little before the parking lot if the cars are backed up.

Images

Years ago I was able to hitch a ride from Newfound Gap into Gatlinburg when a friend and I had to bail on a winter trip due to an approaching blizzard. I suspect you could get a ride to Clingman's Dome too - there's usually plenty of traffic.
    It's all good in the woods.

Hitched from the entrance of Smokemont Campground to Clingman's last October. Got a ride in about 5 minutes. Just have your pack visible and make sure there is space for autos to see you and then pull of the road without blocking traffic. As others have said, the turnoff from 441 to Clingman's is often backed up as much as a mile or more. The kind souls that gave me a lift dropped me off about a mile from the top as they didn't want to sit in traffic. On foot, I was faster than the line of traffic up to the parking lot from that point. From Newfound Gap, it might make sense to be standing on the upper end of the parking lot as it re-enters 441 and just have you thumb out for those headed to Cherokee to see and still not be in moving traffic, yet.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

The Compendium of Rules and Regulations for Great Smoky Mountains National Park specifically allows hitch hiking to get to trailheads so long as it is done safely.
    What I don't know is if the city of Gatlinburg allows it.

Images

It's totally legal to hitch in GSMNP; there is no prohibition against it by law or by park rules.

I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.

~John Muir

Hitchhiking is legal in 44 states, including TN and NC, which would apply to hitching rides in GSMNP. There are some rules for it that are simple in nature, pedestrians cannot loiter, stand in the road (defined as the "vehicle travel lane"), or create a distraction for drivers 9laying down beside the road, flag waiving, etc). Hitchhikers should stand on the road shoulder or sidewalk to solicit rides.

The States that have specific regulations of the hitchhiking process or outlaw hitchhiking of any type are: Delaware, New Jersey, Utah, Nevada, and Idaho. However, even in these States hitchhikers or drivers picking them up are rarely ticketed.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Hitchhiking is legal in 44 states, including TN and NC, which would apply to hitching rides in GSMNP. There are some rules for it that are simple in nature, pedestrians cannot loiter, stand in the road (defined as the "vehicle travel lane"), or create a distraction for drivers 9laying down beside the road, flag waiving, etc). Hitchhikers should stand on the road shoulder or sidewalk to solicit rides.
    The States that have specific regulations of the hitchhiking process or outlaw hitchhiking of any type are: Delaware, New Jersey, Utah, Nevada, and Idaho. However, even in these States hitchhikers or drivers picking them up are rarely ticketed.
    Keep in mind that federal regulations inside a national park can override state laws that might allow hitch hiking. From what I recall reading in the past, the "general" rules/laws that apply to all national parks prohibit hitch hiking. But GSMNP have "additional" rules and regulations that specifically allow hitch hiking. As at least one example of what I'm talking about, seems like I've heard of reports of people "getting in trouble" trying to hitch hike in Mt Rainer National Park.

++ New Posts ++