WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Connecticut DPH confirms first fatal case of tick-borne Powassan virus

DPH is the Department of Public Health.

Read the article here... https://www.courant.com and elsewhere.

This is a follow-up to my post from May 8, 2022.

Powassan virus is typically spread by infected black-legged or deer ticks. The reported fatality was an elderly woman.

I repeat to all, but especially to AT hikers... "Insect repellents work to some degree against ticks. For me tho, spraying Sawyer Permethrin on my clothing, (pack and tent) was the most beneficial protection."

Protect yourselves and follow the manufacture's instructions carefully. From their website... "Odorless after drying, Sawyer Permethrin Fabric Treatment can be used to treat a variety of fabrics like clothing, gear, and tents. A successful application of this insect repellent treatment is effective against mosquitoes and ticks for 6 weeks or 6 washes."

It is possible to purchase larger quantities of Permethrin to mix your own. However, for me, the availability of the Sawyer spray-on
    Permethrin at various retailers along the trail was most convenient and beneficial.
    When you get to those unexpected situations in life where it’s difficult to figure something out, just ask yourself, “What would MacGyver do?”
    See ya!
    Rickles McPickles

There are no vaccines, or medications, for treatment of Powassan.

[COLOR=rgba(13, 13, 13, 0.9)]The woman lived in New London County and became sick in early May. She was admitted to a hospital with symptoms including fever, altered mental status, headache, chills, rigors, chest pain and nausea, according to DPH.

This is on the other side of the state from the AT.
    [/COLOR]

I have been satisfied with JT Eaton's premix permethrin by the gallon from Amazon.It's labeled for bedding,clothes,luggage etc.I don't get ticks if I wear long pants treated with it but I do keep them tight to the ankles with elastic bands and really don't sit on the ground or use a tent.

It is convenient buying it pre mixed but some huge savings if you mix your own. I have a tyvek type material (a little better) that I treat with permethrin along with my clothes, one to put my bag down on, one for under my seat pad and then my piece for under my tent and my pack cover. I found this to help a lot as well, if I take a break I spread out the pack cover and all that permethrin seems to keep just about anything away, including ants and stuff to. I also treat my stuff weekly and if I smell any odor just water it down a little more.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

++ New Posts ++