WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Whitehouse Landing Camps in 100 Mile Wilderness

FYI: I contacted Whitehouse Landing Camps in the 100 Mile Wilderness about the possibility of spending a night there in August. Linda replied, "I am sorry but we are no longer taking AT hikers off trail. We are open, but only for our drive in customers, and only for our cabins."

Quote Originally Posted by rcjh View Post
    FYI: I contacted Whitehouse Landing Camps in the 100 Mile Wilderness about the possibility of spending a night there in August. Linda replied, "I am sorry but we are no longer taking AT hikers off trail. We are open, but only for our drive in customers, and only for our cabins."
    It's been that way for a few years now. I suspect it wasn't worth the hassle of picking up and "Dealing" with some of the hikers. Also, these business's have to rely on sustained customer turnover to turn a profit. By that I mean, there is a short window when hikers on the AT are going by.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

That's too bad, I loved that place. If I was going through the area I would call and see if I could donate some extra money for them to be able to pick me up. Only because I loved it so much there and I think they would remember me. I would offer to donate more then whatever it's worth to them and also offer to help out with anything on the property while I'm there. Not that this means anything to thru hikers but I hope they do remember and take up my offer in the unlikely scenario I make it there in the near future.

I totally understand the hassle and can't say I didn't see it coming after the conversations with them about the place. Really good people.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

It's been that way for a few years now.
    It hasn't. I stayed there last August (2021). They were accepting hikers if they stayed a minimum of two nights. I had a private cabin, stayed two nights, and took a zero there. You might try again and say you want to stay two nights, want a private cabin, and are a mature adult. That might help.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Blue View Post
    It hasn't. I stayed there last August (2021). They were accepting hikers if they stayed a minimum of two nights. I had a private cabin, stayed two nights, and took a zero there. You might try again and say you want to stay two nights, want a private cabin, and are a mature adult. That might help.

Interesting. Last time it was listed in "The AT Guide" was 2020. Not in 2021 or 2022. I didn't look at other guides.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

""Dealing" with some of the hikers." OK, but then there's the problem with "dealing" with the male owner of WHL, who I found to be often needlessly insulting. He informed me that he did not hike because he hated "endless misery". He informed me that he did not sell any healthful foods because "hikers only want to eat crap candy and sugar". I could go on, but do you get my point?

They sure served some nice healthy (by trail standards for sure) meals while I was there and I found them both to be great people, busy for sure. This was only judging by one nights stay but honestly, most hikers do buy a bunch of crap and it doesn't bother me if anyone finds hiking miserable. His impression, I imagine, is largely based on all the ignorant hikers they've dealt with over the years, and understandably so.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    ""Dealing" with some of the hikers." OK, but then there's the problem with "dealing" with the male owner of WHL, who I found to be often needlessly insulting. He informed me that he did not hike because he hated "endless misery". He informed me that he did not sell any healthful foods because "hikers only want to eat crap candy and sugar". I could go on, but do you get my point?
    What's insulting about that? Sounds like he was stating the truth[as he saw it].

More power to them if they can pay the bills by renting cabins, less work for them. It is likely if they had loans on the property they are long since paid off. It was for sale long ago. These days it would be worth a whole lot more.

As far as I know its not actively for sale but as an illustration this is going rate for a remote sporting lodge in Maine https://www.landsearch.com/propertie...-04970/1994976

Stayed there in early July of 2017. I was the only person there. They made me dinner and breakfast (and a cheeseburger to pack out). I found them to be nice folks. It was kind of odd to be the only person spending the night at that large camp. The boat ride over from the trail and back is pure AT lore.

I enjoyed my stay there as well. Beautiful setting, hospitable owners. Sorry to hear current and future AT hikers will miss out.

++ New Posts ++