WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Tarp over campfire or grill

I'm somewhat new to tarp tenting and I have succesfully made a couple of a-frame tarp tents but I am looking for a material that can go over a campfire or a grill for cooking. Something fire resistant, but I don't know where to start.

I use a tarp but I wouldn't recommend doing what you are suggesting. Just carry a stove, there are various light weight options out there to pick from. With a stove, I'd suggest being super careful not to send an ignition fireball up. Better to light the stove under open sky and let it get settled before moving it closer. Even better, just let the food cook outside. You can sit on the edge under the tarp.

I'd like to understand better why you might want to do this. Nothing wrong with having a fire or cooking on a grill but not a lot of compelling reasons to put a wood fire under a tarp. A little wood cooking stove I could understand in the rain. Are you new to backpacking?
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Deployed in a normal tarp shape, Snowpeake actually makes a tarp with a fireproof inner tarp. I have seen it in action. Just get your wallet out…
    GDW

I'd say I am still at the beginner status when it comes to backpacking, yeah. I'm more wondering if theres any type of material to put over a wood fire in order to keep rain from getting to it. I've done SOME research on tarp camping but nothing too extensive. I was thinking of just getting something like this and creating a tarp a-frame shelter because I wanted something I could put a stove under or like I said, keep a fire going under.

Way back when I attended Scout camp we had a heavy canvas tarp to cover our cooking area when raining. It wasn't something you would want to backpack with as it was heavy, smoked stained and covered with soot. When in use the wood smoke would be come trapped under the tarp making it difficult to do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Asura991 View Post
    I'd say I am still at the beginner status when it comes to backpacking, yeah. I'm more wondering if theres any type of material to put over a wood fire in order to keep rain from getting to it. I've done SOME research on tarp camping but nothing too extensive. I was thinking of just getting something like this and creating a tarp a-frame shelter because I wanted something I could put a stove under or like I said, keep a fire going under.
    Ok thanks for answering. So I've used a flat tarp pretty extensively in various combinations plus I often light fires. If it's raining out lightly or the wood is wet I can keep the fire going. The fire is really for entertainment (hiker TV). Nearly all the tarps at that you linked are heavy material, some really heavy. It's difficult to keep a fire going in the rain with wet wood and you should never count on it for routine heat. When it's raining, you are going to want to get your tarp down low to avoid rain splash. The slope of the A-frame is dependent on the size of the tarp. If you have to bring the sides to the A-frame down you will be reducing the possible width of the fire immensely. So you would need a bigger tarp and heavier weight material, which is only necessary because you want to have a fire underneath in the rain. Having to keep the tarp up higher to avoid melting it is counterproductive. I'll fuss with a fire not under the tarp in the rain if I know it might pass and I have enough wood already but if it's raining continuously, no point to it.

You can cook in the rain on a stove if your pot has a lid without much trouble unless the rain is blowing sideways. I prefer a stable spot and possibly elevated for my stove, which may not be available where I put my tarp. I just put my raingear on and cook outside frequently. If it looks to be nice out I will just pitch like a lean-to roof, like a flattened A with a shorter side and cook under that. It's not good for rain splash however, so may drop that down low later or reconfigure.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Fires really are a lot of work. They can be great, esp for drying out stuff if the rain is really done. But I don't think I would bring a tarp just for that.

For just straight cooking, if you are using a canister stove, they will work fine in the rain, and will usually only be needed for 5 mins or so to boil some water. Good to shield them from the wind if possible, but tarps wouldn't be much good at that.

On the AT, you can usually plan around having dinner at a shelter, even if you aren't staying in or at it. Many of them have some sort of overhanging roof for that purpose.

I'm in Chicago area, if you'd like to meet for coffee and ask questions. Nowhere near as experienced as some on this site, but did SOBO the AT in '21.

++ New Posts ++